Straight Pride - Right on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I was going to make a comment about the organiser's name being appropriate, but when I checked the source it looks like your auto-correct has kicked in: he's really called Mark Sahady.

Make America Grate Again indeed (and yes the misspelling is deliberate).

Soldato
It is hard to see why anyone would attempt to organise such a parade - on the other hand, since it appears that the organiser is actually a far-Right, White Nationalist, anti-Semitic agitator I guess that he can be expected to attempt to garner support from any group of like-minded bigots.

Sure its obvious in this case what the objective is.

But if gay people can get together and celebrate being gay, why shouldnt straight people get together and celebrate being straight?

Personally Im straight and quite happy about that. Although i dont feel the need to celebrate being straight. If i was gay, I dont think Id feel the need to celebrate that either. Just like I dont feel the need to celebrate being male.

Peoples like the Brazilians have it right, with big public carnivals that everyone can participate in. I really dont see the point of the marginalised celebrations we get in this country. Its just more divisive.

Man of Honour

But if gay people can get together and celebrate being gay, why shouldnt straight people get together and celebrate being straight?

Personally Im straight and quite happy about that. Although i dont feel the need to celebrate being straight. If i was gay, I dont think Id feel the need to celebrate that either. Just like I dont feel the need to celebrate being male.

Peoples like the Brazilians have it right, with big public carnivals that everyone can participate in. I really dont see the point of the marginalised celebrations we get in this country. Its just more divisive.
I agree with your point about all inclusive festivals / carnivals but your point about ‘why can’t straight people celebrate...’ is a little obtuse. Such celebrations are quite obviously celebrations in the face of adversity. And before anyone makes the point that ‘we have equality by law’ or whatever people are very obviously treated differently because of their sexuality, often in a negative way. That’s why ‘gay pride’ festivals exist. If people were treated equally by everyone then it would be a bit of a nonsense, but sadly that’s not the reality of the world.

Soldato
He isn't far right at all, he hit an Antifa member once, and they're a violent terrorist group anyway. That article has tried to make spurious links which don't exist.

Permabanned
It is hard to see why anyone would attempt to organise such a parade - on the other hand, since it appears that the organiser is actually a far-Right, White Nationalist, anti-Semitic agitator I guess that he can be expected to attempt to garner support from any group of like-minded bigots.
Your Twitter is leaking.

Soldato
Its just more divisive.

Quoted for truth.

All this sort of thing does is highlight divisiveness

I don't give a flying **** about what consenting adults do in private, I do however draw a line at them wanting to tell the rest of the world about what they do and how wonderful it is ! (Especially when it comes to trying to indoctrinate primary school children!)

Personally, I am perfectly happy for "Consenting Adults" to do their Pistols at dawn thing should they wish to. Why is it acceptable for the state to interfere in such a choice any more than why the state should interfere with who one sleeps with?

Soldato

Gay Pride is inclusive, well the London one certainly is. I've been to several over the years with gay friends and as a straight guy I always felt included. Never once to I get a comment or even a vibe of not being welcome, the exact opposite in fact.

Soldato
I agree with your point about all inclusive festivals / carnivals but your point about ‘why can’t straight people celebrate...’ is a little obtuse. Such celebrations are quite obviously celebrations in the face of adversity. And before anyone makes the point that ‘we have equality by law’ or whatever people are very obviously treated differently because of their sexuality, often in a negative way. That’s why ‘gay pride’ festivals exist. If people were treated equally by everyone then it would be a bit of a nonsense, but sadly that’s not the reality of the world.

There is lots of adversity in life for all of us. People who get involved in these things are attention seekers deliberately trying to make themselves marginal groups. I bet there are lots of gay people who dont participate in these events because they dont feel the need to be portrayed as special.

Soldato
Gay Pride is inclusive, well the London one certainly is. I've been to several over the years with gay friends and as a straight guy I always felt included. Never once to I get a comment or even a vibe of not being welcome, the exact opposite in fact.

Are you proud of your gay friends for being gay? Are you proud of yourself or your straight friends for being straight?

Hey if people want to have a carnival then have a carnival. It doesnt need to be specifically about being gay or being proud of being gay.

Its different to a gay rights march for example, where there is a specific purpose, for example unequal laws.

Soldato
He isn't far right at all, he hit an Antifa member once, and they're a violent terrorist group anyway. That article has tried to make spurious links which don't exist.

Terrorist? Really? What terrorist attacks have they committed? They are militant anti facist and as such will fight violence with violence when they confront facist/racist white supremacy. I'd agree they go too far sometimes but they are just a response to the rise of extreme right wing which is where they were born in the German 1930s and again in Europe and the UK in the 70s and 80s when the right raised its ugly head again.

Soldato
There is lots of adversity in life for all of us. People who get involved in these things are attention seekers deliberately trying to make themselves marginal groups. I bet there are lots of gay people who dont participate in these events because they dont feel the need to be portrayed as special.

Erm. They were made a marginal group by the rest of society, and even though technically they have equal rights under the law they're still persecuted for their sexuality, see the recent case of the lesbian couple being beaten for refusing to kiss on a London bus.

I'm not gay and I've never attended a pride event, though it's on the list, but I've always thought that pride is about celebrating gay culture as for the longest period of time these people had to live their lives behind closed doors, they weren't allowed to be vocal about who they were.

As others have said above pride has always struck me as inclusive, it's perfectly possible to celebrate individual subcultures in a way that doesn't ostricise other cultures. I always wonder what it is about gay culture people find so threatening.

Soldato
Are you proud of your gay friends for being gay? Are you proud of yourself or your straight friends for being straight?

Hey if people want to have a carnival then have a carnival. It doesnt need to be specifically about being gay or being proud of being gay.

Its different to a gay rights march for example, where there is a specific purpose, for example unequal laws.

I'm proud that they feel they can be themselves yeah. I'm the norm so what have I got to be "proud" about? People seem to forget where this parade comes from and what gay people had to endure and still endure from some parts of society. Yes they might be protected by the law but the law was changed in England in 1967 but that didn't stop gay people being persecuted did it? Why do you think it takes some people years to come out? It is because of how some of society, their friends and family will judge them. We aren't judged for being straight. I'm amazed I even have to explain this.

Soldato
Terrorist? Really? What terrorist attacks have they committed? They are militant anti facist and as such will fight violence with violence when they confront facist/racist white supremacy. I'd agree they go too far sometimes but they are just a response to the rise of extreme right wing which is where they were born in the German 1930s and again in Europe and the UK in the 70s and 80s when the right raised its ugly head again.

Mantra of the left.

"Its not mindless violence when we do it!"

Soldato

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/18/us/unmasking-antifa-anti-fascists-hard-left/index.html

"I fought (against) Nazis. I've had death threats. I've had guns drawn on me. I've drawn guns on fascists. I've been in altercations. I've smoke-bombed places," he said. "I've done a myriad of things to try and stop fascism and its flow over the years."

They define almost everyone on the right as fascists/nazis then use violence, including bringing guns to counter protests. Being pro free speech isn't being a fascist. In their eyes there's almost no legitimate way to have Conservative views, everyone with differing views to them is defined as being "far right", then they're open to having violence used against them. Happen to be pro free speech? Nazi. Pro Trump? Nazi. Against abortion due to Christian views? Nazi. Want more done to stop illegal immigration? Nazi.

Soldato
Erm. They were made a marginal group by the rest of society, and even though technically they have equal rights under the law they're still persecuted for their sexuality, see the recent case of the lesbian couple being beaten for refusing to kiss on a London bus.

I'm not gay and I've never attended a pride event, though it's on the list, but I've always thought that pride is about celebrating gay culture as for the longest period of time these people had to live their lives behind closed doors, they weren't allowed to be vocal about who they were.

People are persecuted all the time you just never hear of individual cases unless its the marginal group flavour of the month.

Is there an annual celebration of women being allowed to vote? is there an annual celebration of disabled people getting more equal rights? what about black people and slavery? maybe these do exist and my world is small so i dont know about them.

Soldato
I'm proud that they feel they can be themselves yeah. I'm the norm so what have I got to be "proud" about? People seem to forget where this parade comes from and what gay people had to endure and still endure from some parts of society. Yes they might be protected by the law but the law was changed in England in 1967 but that didn't stop gay people being persecuted did it? Why do you think it takes some people years to come out? It is because of how some of society, their friends and family will judge them. We aren't judged for being straight. I'm amazed I even have to explain this.

Its interesting you describe yourself as the norm which implies that being gay isnt. Whilst i know you mean this in terms of what is most common, why does that in itself require celebration? Why cant you be proud of your sexuality simply because its common, as if being gay is some kind of personal achievement.

Flying in the face of adversity is an achievement, if that is what the celebration is about then ok its not too bad then. Simply being gay isnt an achievement. Im not proud of being straight because its a silly thing to be proud of. im comfortable with it, happy with that. im not proud of leaving my nasty abusive ex wife but glad i did and that could be considered an achievement.

What other achievements get a huge city wide party? As a 'normal' white straight male, what city wide party have i got to look forward to for my group? Not that id want to associate with most of my group in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom