• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
Two years on, did i make the right choice?

7600K £230
1600 £160

One significant win here for the 7600K with the significantly higher clocks, predictably in FC New Dawn. a few with give and take roughly even results.

But the 7600K went to #### for BF5, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, The Division 2 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey

https://youtu.be/97sDKvMHd8c?t=545

I'm glad i didn't spend the extra £70 on the 7600K

6rvXa4I.png

MTG0c7P.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else upgraded to Windows 10 1903 and noticed their ram speed has an odd speed in task manager?

My ram is set to 3133MHz in the bios as usual and has worked just fine until now but in task manager I can see the speed is reported as 1567MHz.

I've verified the speed is set to 3133MHz in the bios still.

Caporegime
Anyone else upgraded to Windows 10 1903 and noticed their ram speed has an odd speed in task manager?

My ram is set to 3133MHz in the bios as usual and has worked just fine until now but in task manager I can see the speed is reported as 1567MHz.

1567Mhz would be right, Its Double Density Ram don't forget, some applications read the internal bus speed.

1567 X 2 = 3134

Permabanned

With previous versions, on desktop machines, the task manager didn't report any RAM frequency at all.

My theory is that Microsoft does it purposefully for some odd reason, on mobiles the speed has always been there.

Soldato
I've been on holiday for the last two weeks. I can assure you 2 weeks ago task manager was reporting 3133MHz not 1567MHz.

So that is a change. Yes I know that double it and it makes 3134MHz... are we saying now that this is the new normal and not a bug?

---

On my other Intel based DDR3 machine with 1600MHz ram the ram speed is reported as 1600MHz through task manager. So as far as I am concerned this is a bug.

(Win 10 1903)

Permabanned
On my other Intel based DDR3 machine with 1600MHz ram the ram speed is reported as 1600MHz through task manager. So as far as I am concerned this is a bug.

(Win 10 1903)

Exactly. But mine on my Ryzen system isn't.

I think this is a Win 10 1903 bug as up until this update it's always reported the correct ram speed. (3133MHz etc)

My DDR3-1333 was never reported by Windows 10. Just blank spaces there, nothing.

Soldato
4C/4T were bottlenecking Crossfire/SLI setups from BF3.

Yes, but it wasn't as apparent with the large frame drops that you would experience in BF1. Yes you are bottlenecked but if it can keep it at over 100fps then it is not really that noticeable.

In BF4 with an i5 and 980ti I could keep it at over 100fps at 1080p for the most part with very few frame drops. BF1 on the other hand was a mess with frequent drops into the mid 60s (averaging around 100 the rest of the time) when playing at 1440p.

Caporegime
Yes, but it wasn't as apparent with the large frame drops that you would experience in BF1. Yes you are bottlenecked but if it can keep it at over 100fps then it is not really that noticeable.

In BF4 with an i5 and 980ti I could keep it at over 100fps at 1080p for the most part with very few frame drops. BF1 on the other hand was a mess with frequent drops into the mid 60s (averaging around 100 the rest of the time) when playing at 1440p.

Pretty sure the i5 being pegged at 100% resulted in stuttering etc, rather than the FPS dipping.
So it was pretty noticeable :p

Soldato
On the subject of BF, my performance in BF5 is dire.

I've mentioned this many times in the past. Performance with BF1 was crap too. But I don't know if it's a cpu/gpu bottleneck or just something to do with the server you play on.

Once in a blue moon performance will be fine but 90% of the time I get massive slowdowns when there are big explosions, laggyness and hitching.

It detracts from the game. Makes me think about upgrading the GPU to be fair.

Also the two other games I am playing Assassins Creed Odyssey and Metro Exodus also destroy the GPU.

On the other hand really want to wait it out until the Nvidia next gen. (Not super)

Soldato

You must have stayed away from the tanks and any destruction in the environment then as I ran an i5 on it and it regularly saw drops. Not huge, still perfectly playable but it did drop. Less noticeable in just fps gunplay, sniping etc.

Soldato
Interesting session on Destiny 2 last night. It was the first time I actually experienced the difference fast RAM can have to the overall performance of a game.

For reference I was running the game at 1440p 120FPS G-sync, All High / Highest with SMAA and my specs are:

2700x @ ~4.1Ghz all core boost in game (technically not overclocked (PBO) but this was as reported by HWinfo).
16GB DDR4 3200 C14
FE 1080TI @ 2000/11000 (~1974-2020 in game).

When I first dropped into the tower, I noticed my frame-rate was under 60fps and this only increased to the 70-80 range when there were less npcs / players on screen. Certain areas of the actual game, Trostland for example, were also sub 70fps at times. Other times however, I would be hitting my 120fps cap thus assumed it was something odd about the game and not my system (lol, so young and so, so, wrong..).

A quick check of Afterburner showed GPU usage at ~ 65% and CPU usage at ~ 30% overall (some cores loaded up to 60-80% whilst others barely doing anything). Hmmm something not quite right there!

Anywhoo cutting a long story short my RAM had decided to revert to stock 2133mhz speeds despite being set to XMP/DOCP in the bios. Switching it back and I was back up to 80-100 in the tower and 90+ in the game world. GPU usage is still not 100% at all times but I do recall Ryzen is a little slower in this game than Intel.

Not exactly sure what happened but it appears fine now. :confused:

Also does anyone else assume blindly ignore the most obvious things first in an attempt to find the obscure reason why something is working right? :D

Back
Top Bottom