The Sound BlasterX AE-5 Owners' Club

Associate
Is it possible to record exactly what I'm hearing through the AE-5? When I record with Shadowplay I do not hear any of the effects (such as surround) added by the Soundblaster software.

Edit: worked it out, had to setup Shadowplay audio as "separate both tracks" and set the mic input to "What U Hear" and have my mic set to always on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Usually the way it goes with Creative. That said; they are doing better than Asus though, who I don't think have released drivers for the Essence STXII for three and a half years, and that AFAIK, is still their flagship sound card.

While the Sennheiser GSX1000 is overpriced, that it doesn't need any additional drivers like many other external sound cards drivers that do, is a good idea. Would be great to see more external sound devices that offer similar features, work like that and not need lousy drivers and updates that the manufacturers like Asus ans Creative can't be bothered to release.

Associate
Just a quick heads up - the 1903 windows update dropped for me this morning and afterwards all the sound on my Youtube videos was messed up. Turns out that the AE5 settings had changed from 2.0 to 5.1 (I have a 2.0 setup) and all other setting before the update (e.g. speaker type, headphones etc.) needed to be reset.

Soldato
Any G6 owners here? I already have the AE-5 but I bought the G6 last night for when I go mini itx for my HTPC.

I’m a bit confused - the G6 has line/optical out for speakers. Can I plug either a optical cable or a regular 3.5mm mini jack into this output? I want to use mine with my Ruark MR1s (MK1, no optical in)

Soldato
Any G6 owners here? I already have the AE-5 but I bought the G6 last night for when I go mini itx for my HTPC.

I’m a bit confused - the G6 has line/optical out for speakers. Can I plug either a optical cable or a regular 3.5mm mini jack into this output? I want to use mine with my Ruark MR1s (MK1, no optical in)
When choosing speakers as output it should default to standard analog out with SPDIF stereo PCM needing "checkbox" in control software.
https://youtu.be/_ZUlTvCV6ps?t=18s

Soldato
Ah ok cool, so it acts as both a stereo 3.5 mini out as well as Optical out depending on how it’s configured in the software?
Mini-TOSLINK which fits inside 3.5mm analog connector has been used for long time in many sound cards to cram more usability options into same size space in card's rear.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK#Mini-TOSLINK

Also line in of SBX G6 uses such connector which can be used for analog or optical signal input.

Soldato
Mini-TOSLINK which fits inside 3.5mm analog connector has been used for long time in many sound cards to cram more usability options into same size space in card's rear.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK#Mini-TOSLINK

Also line in of SBX G6 uses such connector which can be used for analog or optical signal input.

Ah I see now thanks lol. I was thinking eh? Looking forward to it arriving so I can have a play.

Associate
Hi
Ive just installed the AE-5 into my PC and cant see how you select headphone out in the creative connect 2 software? Any help would be great.

Associate
So am I right in assuming the massive delay for the AE-9 is so they can have it as an SXFI product? I was going to grab one of these but it seems it could be close. Although given the model number defo up a price bracket and but a replacement

V F

V F

Soldato

V F

V F

Soldato
Creative still pulling this ****?

After the Daniel_K fiasco, I swore never to buy a creative product again and have stuck to my word.

Sadly I got suckered into the hype with the AE-5. I doubt I'll be buying a soundcard ever again since Microsoft killed the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude under 1903. Loved that card. It'll work if you stick with 1809 but that wont be wise in the long run.

Since I own an AE-5, looks like its days are numbered. The only thing I don't like about the AE-5 is no external way to control the sound.
No working drivers for Windows 10 for 1903 with the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude.
No idea how long the Audigy 2 ZS will last with Windows 10 as the current drivers from the RX package works with 1903.

For the future, I'll have to go an external solution so there is no drivers to rely on. I'm truly getting sick of this crap with drivers. Microsoft or the manufacturer. Or both.

Nor do I fancy touching Asus with the same problems. What good is good hardware if you have no future with years old drivers.

Can only try it and see what happens. Asus driver updates are terrible though. Currently, they make Creative look impressive with their updates.

There are modified drivers available for internal Xonar's, but not for the external USB Xonar's. I have no idea why that is. Got to put up with Asus or Windows own drivers, sadly.

Soldato
Apart from stuff like SBX Prostudio etc, I see no reason to have a sound card at all. I have no need or want for that, so I don't miss not having a sound card at all. For those that do; it's a shame that decent hardware is let down by these companies pathetic attempts when it comes to drivers. Microsoft's constant ability to break something in Windows 10, only adds to the crapshoot.

Probably better to get an external DAC and buy Creative's SBX Prostudio software, for those that want that; rather than pay £100+ for a sound card that could made to be rather bloody useless by **** drivers. At least a DAC has a far better chance of working, even with Microsoft's constant attempts to screw the sound up in some shape or form. Even if the SBX software were not to work, then you'd still be left with a decent DAC and not a useless PCB.

Man of Honour
even with Microsoft's constant attempts to screw the sound up in some shape or form. Even if the SBX software were not to work, then you'd still be left with a decent DAC and not a useless PCB.

Even then one of the recent Windows 10 updates broke the bluetooth audio I was using at night (dongle to headphones) - though to be fair the adaptor was never 100% driver support wise to start with and I've now replaced it with a USB BT dongle.

For the future, I'll have to go an external solution so there is no drivers to rely on. I'm truly getting sick of this crap with drivers. Microsoft or the manufacturer. Or both.

A lot of the time these days it is Microsoft - they've broke a fair few things graphics card driver wise, etc. as well just randomly seeming to change things that 3rd parties have to rely on :s I honestly don't get how anyone can be happy with Windows 10 under the current developer approach.

Associate
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a G6 or AE-5. I predominantly use headphones, I see many here have used both in the past. Can people recommend which is better? Recording is also very important for me, so does the software and hardware support good audio recording, mic boost option which I can adjust the levels oppose to just on or off? Any alternatives around $150 are welcome. Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom