******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
when they run out of funds and the whole thing crashes in ruins, who do you think will pick up the IP at the fire sale and actually get it on the shelves? because i'm betting any number of other studios would have cut the CR **** long ago and actually got a product out, and i bet if somone a little more sensible got their hands on it they would bin all this racing/sandworm cac and get an actual FPS game out closely followed buy an actual space sim.

Caporegime
So once again I installed this to see where we're up to.

The UI/controls are horrendous. Tried playing with a Gamepad but it's not intuitive at all. I did manage to spawn my 300i on a launch pad, take off, quantum drive to a planet, quantum drive to a refuge on the planet, land (badly) and after a few minutes trying to work out how to get out of my pilot seat, I opened the door, fell out and I guess that broke my legs because I couldn't then move and respawned back in a bunk....

When I backed it, 7 years ago, I was hoping for a game like Wing Commander: Privateer but with upgraded graphics/gameplay. They seem to have made a hardcore space-simulator that is (at the moment) dull as dishwater.

Soldato
when they run out of funds and the whole thing crashes in ruins, who do you think will pick up the IP at the fire sale and actually get it on the shelves? because i'm betting any number of other studios would have cut the CR **** long ago and actually got a product out, and i bet if somone a little more sensible got their hands on it they would bin all this racing/sandworm cac and get an actual FPS game out closely followed buy an actual space sim.
If it all collapses (I don't think it will ) but if it does maybe Frontier can buy all the assets and use them for their 2020 Elite Dangerous update/refresh ;)

There is no denying some of the tech is impressive.

Note for the record I am kind of joking

Soldato
the sad thing is, some of the tech IS very impressive ~ that eye-to-planet thingy they released was amazing, it was what I've dreamt of for a space game since Elite in '84; Frontier/First Encounters managed it to some degree, given the machine limitations, but you couldn't exit the ship etc. ~ but it's all becoming mired in pointless/needless cac. if they'd just released that, they could have blown everyone's socks off, then each time they released an update/addition they'd have done it again, and that's how you keep a game fresh, keep players playing, and keep attracting new players/money.

lost track of Elite: Dangerous; are they working on getting players out of the ships? sure they mentioned it at one time but it may be my memory.

Caporegime
the sad thing is, some of the tech IS very impressive ~ that eye-to-planet thingy they released was amazing, it was what I've dreamt of for a space game since Elite in '84; Frontier/First Encounters managed it to some degree, given the machine limitations, but you couldn't exit the ship etc. ~ but it's all becoming mired in pointless/needless cac. if they'd just released that, they could have blown everyone's socks off, then each time they released an update/addition they'd have done it again, and that's how you keep a game fresh, keep players playing, and keep attracting new players/money.

lost track of Elite: Dangerous; are they working on getting players out of the ships? sure they mentioned it at one time but it may be my memory.

They made this when they first cracked it internally.

Soldato
They are working on a big update at the moment and have moved away from small updates to get it for a release late next year...they claim it's the next big milestone for elite so there is a lot of hope for atmospheric landings.

Space legs is still a fan favourite but theres been no real hint its coming any time soon but maybe they are doing both for late 2020.

I wonder if SC followed the same approach how far along they would be in delivering now. It would have been an interesting thing to watch two massive studios getting super competitive over a space sim.

Soldato
They are working on a big update at the moment and have moved away from small updates to get it for a release late next year...they claim it's the next big milestone for elite so there is a lot of hope for atmospheric landings.

Space legs is still a fan favourite but theres been no real hint its coming any time soon but maybe they are doing both for late 2020.

I wonder if SC followed the same approach how far along they would be in delivering now. It would have been an interesting thing to watch two massive studios getting super competitive over a space sim.
had to google what space legs was, one of the hits says "braben hopes to add it to ED on 11 April 2017" ~ must be taking lessons from CR!

as I've said, I think that would have been the right approach, would have kept constant excitement to the game.

Soldato
OP
There's no competition between them, that's like comparing Colin McRae's Rally with F1. Also Chris Roberts backed Elite in Kickstarter from what I remember.

Back
Top Bottom