Homophobic attack on two women on London bus.

Soldato
The report I read in the Guardian was a bit vague but it read although they were abusing them, one of the lasses (Chris I think the report said) suddenly was "in among them fighting" and then the other one got beat up as well.

The abuse and the whole situation is horrific, whoever done it should be arrested, but, was it one of the women who started the fight?

Quote from the Guardian it lifted from her Facebook:

Describing the incident in a Facebook post on Friday, Geymonat said she and her girlfriend were subjected to homophobic abuse while being beaten up. “They started behaving like hooligans, demanding that we kissed so they could enjoy watching, calling us ‘lesbians’ and describing sexual positions … The next thing I know is that Chris is in the middle of the bus fighting with them.

Soldato
It’s working wonderfully if you live inside the Westminster bubble and have a close protection detail assigned 24/7/365.

Who was it? Jacqui Smith?

Who some years ago was photographed doing a walkabout in one of the more "Culturally Enriched" parts of our Capital.

Complete with anti-stab vest and a whole platoon of armed bodyguards!

(Oh and dont forget the Jaw-dropping statement by Dianne Abbot as to why she sent her children to a private school. "I dont want them going to a school full of Black kids" )

:p :D

Soldato
supporting mmjs' comments
From the arrest and bale under robbery + aggrevated GBH charge, we don't known if the aggrevated element does correspond to the homophobic accusation ?
- the police had used that terminology in their press release, supporting the victims press comments ( if there is a bench trial, no issue of jury prejudice)
they had never used the terminology ''suspected homophobic attack', or indeed, now modified that terminology, which would be devisive itself.

I can't see that the police nonetheless condone the victims press+social-media comments;
the victim statement, of 'the next thing I know ..' acknowledges there are facts she chose not to reveal.

Soldato
Because of things like this;

'Despicable' pack of 30 schoolchildren punch adults and spray them with liquid in shocking attack outside London bar
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...h-adults-spray-liquid-outside-London-pub.html

Horrifying moment rival gang members fight with knives just yards from the terrified parents who were picking their children up from school
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ight-knives-just-yards-terrified-parents.html
I've never felt the need to look over my shoulder recently in London. In fact it feels a lot safer than 20-25 years ago. Of course we didn't have social media or the Daily Mail online back then to spread fear to those who never actually go to London.

Croydon (Surrey, not London), it's a different matter and always has been. I remember going to watch football at Crystal Palace or Wimbledon there, plus used to go to Joe Bananas and another club there (The Blue Orchid?) in the 1990s and it was an absolute cesspit back then. I hear the area actually a bit better now though from colleagues who have moved there for the transport links to actual London.

Soldato
I've never felt the need to look over my shoulder recently in London. In fact it feels a lot safer than 20-25 years ago. Of course we didn't have social media or the Daily Mail online back then to spread fear to those who never actually go to London.

Croydon (Surrey, not London), it's a different matter and always has been. I remember going to watch football at Crystal Palace or Wimbledon there, plus used to go to Joe Bananas and another club there (The Blue Orchid?) in the 1990s and it was an absolute cesspit back then. I hear the area actually a bit better now though from colleagues who have moved there for the transport links to actual London.

This. I moved to London 25 years ago and my first flat was off Portobello Road. Walking around that area late at night always felt dodgy. Muggings were a common occurrence. Then moved to Walthamstow and I was never happy when my girlfriend at the time finished work late and had to walk back from Blackhorse Road tube.

Soldato

I'm not saying that other places aren't bad too. I know a friend who lived in a flat near the centre of Manchester and it was always full of smackheads, druggies lying around the place, the place stunk of pee. I don't think its safe going out at night in most major cities, and some towns, because of uncontrolled youth/drug related crime.

You're right I've never been to London. I'm just seeing the observations from afar. There seems to be crimes that disproportionally appear in (Greater) London more than anywhere else, like these moped gangs, acid attacks, and romanian gypsy gangs pickpocketing people.

Associate
London isn't a city, it's an amalgamation of small towns all joined together. Some parts are perfectly safe, others are feral, especially if you happen to be a youngster and in the wrong area. I've never had any issues there apart from one occasion when ironically a coked up banker type thought he would create because by missus was a model.

I grew up in a market town. You had to be hard if you wanted to go out drinking then. Mind you back then usually the worst that would happen is you get ten shades of **** beaten out of you if let the other guy get the better of you. Stabbings and robberies were virtually unheard of. Now both are common.

Soldato
This. I moved to London 25 years ago and my first flat was off Portobello Road. Walking around that area late at night always felt dodgy. Muggings were a common occurrence. Then moved to Walthamstow and I was never happy when my girlfriend at the time finished work late and had to walk back from Blackhorse Road tube.

Could have been worse, could have been Tottenham Hale.

Caporegime
The media seem to think that just because the victims were homosexual then that automatically makes it a 'homophobic' attack, my point is you have to PROVE that the MOTIVE for the attack was because the women were homosexual, it's not enough for them to just to just be homosexual and perceive the attack as an attack on their homosexuality due to a few lewd comments. The media are totally ignoring the theft that occurred which for me is a far more obvious motive and could also explain the physical assault if the women have resisted.

The boys have been arrested on suspicion of robbery and aggravated grievous bodily harm but according to most of the media coverage the couple got beat up merely for being homosexual, very few articles even mention the theft that occurred.

Soldato
So you bet it's nothing to do with homophobia, then say,

and that wouldn't be a hint that it is? Because one requires the other to be visibly true, or are you implying that this happens a ton to straight girls and it's just never reported?

So the 98.5% of the female population has never had this happen to them, but the 1.5% that is relevant happens to collide with violent *****, is just an "angle".

Mhm... surely there should be almost 100 times more stories like this on women in general for this not to be a homophobic attack for your statement to be remotely accurate.
I don't see how you've made the leap from harassing girls to kiss, to claiming that this is a homophobic attack. Please explain.

Its possible it was a homophobic attack, but I would require a little more than your say so.

Caporegime
I don't see how you've made the leap from harassing girls to kiss, to claiming that this is a homophobic attack. Please explain.

Its possible it was a homophobic attack, but I would require a little more than your say so.

Are you being obtuse, if two ladies are obviously homosexual by visibly kissing, then yes logic dictates it's homophobic to then use that against them by coercion and then violence. Is it unique that two girls regardless of sexuality kiss? No it isn't, but body language is rather important in this and i doubt a couple would be doing it capriciously.

The only say so is their statement as we have nothing else for now and frankly i doubt it'll change.

Caporegime
If two "Girl friends" go out and bump into a bunch of drunk c words looking to take the P or start a fight to rob someone then i can guarantee you sexual jokes are gonna be used, maybe they just got unlucky and actually found an actual couple.

messed up world but sad reality

Pretty sure if it was a man, depending on how much of a sap he looks, and a woman they would still have been robbed at the end and been sucker punched a fair deal.

Associate
Are you being obtuse, if two ladies are obviously homosexual by visibly kissing, then yes logic dictates it's homophobic to then use that against them by coercion and then violence. Is it unique that two girls regardless of sexuality kiss? No it isn't, but body language is rather important in this and i doubt a couple would be doing it capriciously.

The only say so is their statement as we have nothing else for now and frankly i doubt it'll change.

To be an aggravated or homophobic offence then hostility to their sexual orientation needs to be shown.

The hostile part is subject to interpretation and appears misogyny is more fitting, and I dare say more akin to sexual harassment, from the limited information released. Transfer the setting and say it was a drunken boss making lewd comments to gay female workers on a Christmas do. It would be firmly sexual harassment and not homophobia.

The rest, i.e the assaults and robbery, appear to be from the ensuing argument. The fact they've been released on bail suggests this isn't as clear cut as it would appear.

Caporegime
Being released on bail is hardly worthwhile information.

The only cases in which bail can be argued against.
  • you are charged with a serious offence, for example armed robbery
  • you’ve been convicted of a serious crime in the past
  • you’ve been given bail in the past and not stuck to the terms
  • the police think you may not turn up for your hearing
  • the police think you might commit a crime while you’re on bail

Soldato

My point is that we do not yet know why they were attacked. It could be for a number of reasons, likely from an escalating confrontation and I'm saying that I do not have enough evidence to make the call that it was homophobic. I'm all ears though.

Soldato
now even with ZERO evidence to say it was homophobic in nature,
the police have sanctioned the terminology too, here, without, even, a 'suspected' prefix, in addition to the victim.

... How come the accused have anonymity ? whats the rule there, and, if its not homophobic, do the accused have any recourse.

Back
Top Bottom