• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Well there is definitely at 16 core out there, and near final as well so they are going to launch it.

Just when is the question.

Agreed, it's just a case of whether they hold it back a little, but if its almost ready, been tested etc, yes there is an argument to holding it until Intel respond, but on the other hand, if it IS almost ready, it makes just as much sense to release it and make money from it, and maybe steal some HEDT sales etc from Intel with it.

Halo projects are good for convincing people with less knowledge they're doing the right thing as well...

'AMD has the strongest processor, the cheaper processors must be good too!'

Permabanned
I voted for the green one:

i3tdhe.jpg

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-3950x-4-7-ghz-cpu-leaked-worlds-first-16-core-gaming-chip/

Soldato
Much as it'd be nice if it was 599, I expect 649, 699 or 749. It does appear to be the current 'halo' product afterall, which means it would be no surprise for there to be a slight per-core premium.

And what a beast for prosumer use! Yes, not full HEDT as it lacks memory channels etc, but for someone who wants a compromise (AKA a workstation without paying full HEDT prices), my god what a potential compromise product this appears to be. For stuff that uses less cores ie 8/12, this may well boost higher [stock] than the 12c also just due to the way these things tend to balance out, and it may well be better silicon than the 12C 2x6 chiplet CPU.

Fingers crossed AMD havent completely lost the killing instinct and are looking to gain mindshare/marketshare one way or another, even if its not in the pricing.

Soldato
And that may well be AMD's plan. They have the server chip, they have solid consumer chips, they likely have thier own HEDT lineup revision coming. They know Intel still has some HEDT room, and laptops; might as well hurt them everywhere they can right?

Soldato
We'll see. AMD promised more info on Ryzen 3000 at E3, so fingers crossed we'll know more tomorrow, including more info on things like XFR.

We're now exactly 4 weeks away from official release date, so its about time we start seeing more solid info.

Soldato
It would kill the HEDT market bellow 24 core :D

Gives you an idea of what they may have planned for HEDT... I can't decide if I should go 3800X then drop in higher core count one later or go 3900X and just go for a board + CPU upgrade a few years down the line.

Soldato
We'll see lol
It's possible they may actually go 64C on Threadripper, and just limit it in other ways compared to the server chips, and required voltages etc (Rome is going to get the best low voltage chiplets, just like Xeon is basically better binned chips).

We will see :)
Either way, Intel is going to get some severe competition. The only areas AMD are showing signs of failing are laptops (no surprise, its not been the focus), and APU (as they need to get 7nm APU out ASAP, 12nm APU isnt really good enough).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom