The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Hoi sin glazed cured pork belly strips with bao buns, pickled daikon/carrot/cucumber and rice flavoured with cardamom, lemon grass and pandan leaves. Everything made at home:
Great job. What recipe did you use for the bao? Been meaning to try making them at home. I understand they're not too difficult?

Oh, isn't having rice with them like having double carbs? :p

Soldato
Great job. What recipe did you use for the bao? Been meaning to try making them at home. I understand they're not too difficult?

Oh, isn't having rice with them like having double carbs? :p

So, so many carbs. But I hadn't eaten anything else that day so it's fine. Ish.

Rough recipe:

250 - 275g plain flour (tipo 00 as this was all I had)
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 tsp instant yeast
125ml water
30ml milk
2 tsp veg oil
1 tsp rice vinegar

Mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
Mix the water, milk and 1 tsp oil.

Add to together and form a slightly wet dough, add more flour or water as required.

Add 1 tsp rice vinegar to the dough (I didn't add this earlier as I thought it might cause the milk to separate).

Knead for 5-6 mins then rest in a covered bowl for 1 hour or so, depending on how warm the room is.
After it has doubled in size knead again then roll out to around 1/3 inch/8mm thick.
Add the last tsp oil on top and brush, cut with a 3.5-4 inch round (should get 6 ish).
Fold over in half and roll out a little bit more, then rest again in the steamer.

Steam for 12-13 mins, take off the heat but leave them in the steamer, covered for another 10 mins before serving.

Soldato
Zksk4p.jpg

Just got home. Was attending the wedding of my dad and new stepmother. Was an old girlfriend of his from when he was young and my late mothers childhood best friend. They started seeing each other about 6 months or so ago. Decided to tie the knot. And decided to do it on my birthday. Was a bit weird seeing my dad marry another woman, but Im happy for them both really. I acted as my dads best man. Was a small ceremony at Town Hall.

We had a family dinner together after at the Seamill Hydro hotel.

GvezMw.jpg

J40OsB.jpg

My starter was seared scallops served with a celeriac rémoulade, Ayrshire black pudding, asparagus and apple. This is the first time I've been served scallops in a restaurant that hadn't removed the coral. Really enjoyed it :)

iZrQCZ.jpg

For the main course I had Ayrshire and Arran ploughman’s salad with Ayrshire pork pie, Arran smoked cheddar, honey roasted ham, pickles, apple slaw and crusty bread. Not the kind of dish I normally go for, but it was really good. The little pork pie was delicious. A bit more cheese wouldn't have been amiss though.

Qy6Gse.jpg

And for dessert a very nice banana crème brûlée with peanut brittle. Delicious! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
yOQZpe.jpg

AgWZMO.jpg

Didn't get to go to Scran yesterday for obvious reasons, so I went today. This weekends special was FANTASTIC!!! Was Italian flavoured pulled brisket on sun dried tomato focaccia bread, topped with cauliflower & Parmesan purée, fresh rocket and fried egg. Simply out of this world. 10/10!

hGNuTh.jpg

I initially couldn't make up my mind where to have lunch, so had resolved to skip it. I went to Deesserts to try out another of their ice cream sundae's. Cherrymania. Really nice :)

qcHvRU.jpg

I had just finished when I discovered a new location on Instagram, called Fèist. Looked like a nice brunch/lunch location, so I decided to pop in and try it. I went for something light, a Cubano sandwich. Spiced pulled pork, honey roast ham, smoked cheddar, Dijon mustard and gherkins on a ciabatta. Really nice. Will definitely be coming back here when I have more of an appetite. Their brunch menu has some delicious sounding options :)

Back
Top Bottom