Women's World Cup 2019 Thread

Caporegime
Harsh, but yeah, if the arm is in a position it shouldn't be an blocks the ball, intentional or not, it's a penalty. Well hit penalty from Paris.

I think they've taken the rules in the wrong direction, myself. Unless there is a clear attempt to block the ball it shouldn't be a penalty. I think we're going to see far too many matches decided this way.

Still, no doubt it was correct under the current rules.

Soldato
This is a very entertaining game. Some good skills from the England ladies and some very good crosses. I’ll be honest I’ve watched very little ladies footy but the standard is better than I thought.

Edit: wtf is with wearing false eyelashes while playing footy? I’m not a fan of them at all but while playing sport seems slightly ridiculous.

Soldato
Until England men's run at the world cup, I have said I'd much prefer to watch the women's team. I probably still would. Didn't see the Nation's Cup thing, or whatever it's called. The men's team has got better compared to what they have been for years, but there is something refreshing about the women's team.

One thing I do praise the women's game for, is the lack of play acting compared to the men's game, which is rife with it. Neymar in particular. Anyone would think he is auditioning for a part in Casualty, the way he rolls around holding his leg.

I think they've taken the rules in the wrong direction, myself. Unless there is a clear attempt to block the ball it shouldn't be a penalty. I think we're going to see far too many matches decided this way.

Still, no doubt it was correct under the current rules.

I think so too. That pen that was given would have been very harsh under the rules previously. You can't defend like that and not have arms in the air, it's impossible; not an unnatural position.

There was a pen given against South Africa, which was kind of similar, but the defender there, had her arms raised and turning as if to shield herself from the ball. That was more a certain penalty compared to the one given against Scotland.

Soldato
Scotland really needed not to concede another before half time. Going to be extra tough to get into this now. Having said that, some slack defending and Scotland almost got back in the game.

Soldato
England ran out of gas with 20 or so mins to go. Could be down to the heat and the amount energy used in the first half. Next game is a late one against Argentina which should be better for the players.

Caporegime
First complete female match I've watched, was entertaining. Obviously the level is a lot lower, they especially telegraph their passes a lot. The lack of quality in defenders makes it pretty exciting though. Have to say the Scotland keeper was good though.

Caporegime
I was intending to watch the USA-Thailand game but it's not showing anywhere on TV here, so I'm watching Germany crucify Estonia in the qualifiers instead, and -as much as I'd like support women's football - it's just in a completely different league of skill. Which, I guess, is a vicious circle for women's football. It doesn't get the respect because the standard isn't the money isn't there which makes it hard to raise standards... etc.

Mind you, the lack of play acting is nice.

Soldato
OP
I was intending to watch the USA-Thailand game but it's not showing anywhere on TV here, so I'm watching Germany crucify Estonia in the qualifiers instead, and -as much as I'd like support women's football - it's just in a completely different league of skill. Which, I guess, is a vicious circle for women's football. It doesn't get the respect because the standard isn't the money isn't there which makes it hard to raise standards... etc.

Mind you, the lack of play acting is nice.

you can watch it here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/47180347

Man of Honour
Absolute bloodbath this game, commentator called it early on when he pointed out that the keeper is 5'5" and could struggle tonight.

Ignore the money and skill level, physically this Thai team can't compete at all.

Back
Top Bottom