*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Associate
Cheers guys, i ended up ordering last night I went for the premium in the end due to the springed hinge and the charcoal ring/diffuser plate for smoking whether these are any good I don't know.

Looking forward to getting started on it, thinking traditional burgers and sausages Saturday as a first run then a roast chicken on Sunday.

Soldato
Cheers guys, i ended up ordering last night I went for the premium in the end due to the springed hinge and the charcoal ring/diffuser plate for smoking whether these are any good I don't know.

Looking forward to getting started on it, thinking traditional burgers and sausages Saturday as a first run then a roast chicken on Sunday.

Darn, was about to say as an owner of the Mastertouch GBS premium, that I'm not entirely happy with the hinged lid. It's not IMO worth the extra, and it's a bit of a pig to get it to sit flush, which if it doesn't means it's harder to control the temps. I tried my searing grate last week, and it's good, but on my last Weber I tended to have charcoal in 1/2 the bowl and use the other half for indirect cooking. If I'm doing a steak, I don't necessarily want it over the coals all the time to avoid burning the outside but still having the steak blue inside. I'v eyet to use the deflection plate which might turn out to be useful, but that's the sort of thing that will probably turn up as an accessory for any Weber anyway.

Still it's not a bad BBQ, I just think the standard mastertouch is probably still the best VFM.

Associate
Darn, was about to say as an owner of the Mastertouch GBS premium, that I'm not entirely happy with the hinged lid. It's not IMO worth the extra, and it's a bit of a pig to get it to sit flush, which if it doesn't means it's harder to control the temps. I tried my searing grate last week, and it's good, but on my last Weber I tended to have charcoal in 1/2 the bowl and use the other half for indirect cooking. If I'm doing a steak, I don't necessarily want it over the coals all the time to avoid burning the outside but still having the steak blue inside. I'v eyet to use the deflection plate which might turn out to be useful, but that's the sort of thing that will probably turn up as an accessory for any Weber anyway.

Still it's not a bad BBQ, I just think the standard mastertouch is probably still the best VFM.

Thanks for the feedback. I did read a review where the owner was also having issues with the hinge and the lid and was hoping he might have just have received a bad product not good to hear you are also expericencing it. Although he did link to a video with a potential fix that maybe of interesting to you and potential me tomorrow!. LINK

Soldato
Perfect weather today, having family round and have some pork belly slices and chicken wings going at the moment, the wings have a thin coating of BBQ spice rub and corn flour so they'll be tasty and crispy.
Mix of hickory chips and some hardwood chunks for smoke.

Soldato
Perfect weather today, having family round and have some pork belly slices and chicken wings going at the moment, the wings have a thin coating of BBQ spice rub and corn flour so they'll be tasty and crispy.
Mix of hickory chips and some hardwood chunks for smoke.

How have you done the pork belly slices? Love pork belly and the idea of smoking some really appeals.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
By the looks of it it needs a deflector plate some cabinet hooks and a smallish pizza stone would do the trick.

Soldato
How have you done the pork belly slices? Love pork belly and the idea of smoking some really appeals.

Couple of days with salt (not necessary though) then with hickory chips.
I usually do them with as low as temp and long as possible but tried quicker with a higher temperature this time. They were nice and juicy in the middle after a couple of hours.
Chopped them up and put on top of a burger.

Associate
Tried using half a cup of apple juice on my brisket on the weekend and it ended up being dry.

I'm guessing my temps may have been too high or it wasn't cooked long enough.

Temperature was 188f after 10 hours..

I will try again I've smoked brisket without apple juice and it was juicy!

Soldato
Temperature was 188f after 10 hours..

I've never bothered with juice or anything but I take mine up to about 91 to 95C with the smoker at 110C to 125C and they generally come out well.

Seeing as I'm off work for a few days after having surgery at the weekend for my broken nose, I thought I'd make use of the time and good weather to get some short ribs on the go while I slept. Just a shame I can't really taste or smell anything at the moment though!

VcEdZhdl.jpg

Associate
I've never bothered with juice or anything but I take mine up to about 91 to 95C with the smoker at 110C to 125C and they generally come out well.

Seeing as I'm off work for a few days after having surgery at the weekend for my broken nose, I thought I'd make use of the time and good weather to get some short ribs on the go while I slept. Just a shame I can't really taste or smell anything at the moment though!

Those look amazing, I definitely need to try short ribs.

Not bothering with juice and will leave it until 195/200
view

Last edited:
Associate
Built myself a BBQ grill station today out of a load of leftover wood so it very much a rustic (make it up as you go along) design. Ran out of materials in the end but would like to add some shelving on the right-hand side and maybe a cupboard door, also need to add some hooks and towel rails, etc.

My original plan was to mount the BBQ into the table and get rid of the legs but decided in the end that it may be useful to be able to remove the BBQ at any time should I wish to.

Still a bit more work to do and it ain't pretty! but I am pretty happy with it!

Final Result

qU2gVnN.jpg

Build Progress

gukWtn7.jpg

cHWryVb.jpg

dSYugGg.jpg

gBCZASR.jpg

eDkXqNx.jpg

mbfFCZt.jpg

Soldato
Looks good, that's one thing that bugs me in my garden at the moment, having a lack of worktop space next to the BBQ.

I've been wanting to make smoked scotch eggs for ages and finally got around to getting the stuff in to do them. Sausage meat, egg and black pudding, rolled in a rub with breadcrumbs then smoked with hickory wood at 140C for 40mins. Really pleased with the results for a first attempt! :D

HEGFWqRl.jpg
idFT4Qzl.jpg

Associate
That looks incredible. Recipe/cooking instructions?

• I used Schwartz BBQ rub from tesco (lazy I know), shake all over and pat down.
  • Water tray in the middle filled with apple juice and water. Briquettes either side with a hickory chunk of wood.
  • Temperature around 225/250 (I need to invest in a wireless thermometer)
  • Place brisket in the middle, and leave to smoke for 5 hours.
  • Check the brisket temperature is approximately 150.
  • Wrap tightly with foil and place back for a further 5 hours.
  • Check brisket temperature is around 190-200, mine was 197, and rest for 1 hour.
  • Enjoy a juicy brisket
I would love a side table to complement the weber, any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom