Google apparently suspending some business with Huawei.

Soldato
they could block future app updates..

moreover - article today about Baltimore city who have been ransomed a month back, by the same/similar NSA software as the UK NHS was,
creating enormous economic damage, which shows what potential there is for a malevolent infrastructure actor.

Associate
So lets say for example you get a P30 pro from o2 today as an upgrade... and in a years time you are no longer able to access the play store to get apps etc and your phone is effectively made unusable for its implied function ( yes you can argue that but not being able to install apps is pretty bad ) what is the situation with o2? i mean in effect the contract part still stands but surely you can argue that the handset ( you are still paying for ) is defective and no longer fit for use.
They will argue that its not because you used it for a year, and you will argue that due to this withdrawal of googleplay it is not longer able to function as implied at point of purchase.
I can see it being very hard to get any phone operator to help you out unless someone took it to court and made a stink.

Best thing to do is ask them at point of sale/during return period and if possible have a record of the answer. A friend asked them the same thing before as his P30 Pro was delivered just as this kicked off. He was told if he was in contract and paying for the device and it no longer functioned as sold, they would allow a swap for another manufacturer of equivalent price. No idea if he got that in writing though :p.

Soldato
Just had the June andriod security patches hit my P20 so updates still coming down so far.

They will do, this only affects the use of Google services like Play Store, Gmail app, Maps etc....

HUAWEI and Google both said devices will continue to get security patches after the August cut off date.

Soldato
their ceo was on the uk news - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...for-a-steep-drop-in-overseas-smartphone-sales
Huawei sales and marketing managers are internally charting a drop in volumes of anywhere between 40 million to 60 million smartphones this year, the people said. That’s a big chunk of an international business that in 2018 accounted for almost half of the 206 million phones it moved. The unusually wide range underscores the uncertainty gripping Huawei, a Chinese national champion that Washington accuses of aiding Beijing in espionage -- something the company has repeatedly denied.

On Monday, billionaire Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei confirmed the company had endured about a 40% drop in smartphone shipments abroad, which a company spokesman said referred to a fall over the past month. Ren expects Washington’s sanctions to curtail its overall revenue by about $30 billion over the coming two years, wiping out the networking giant’s growth.

Deals ? ... maybe we'll get to see what kind of marginsthey have following expensive phones thread

Soldato
I'm still wanting a P20 Pro (which is overkill for a Farmer to carry round)

Prices were looking quite reasonable last week but have gone up as of the weekend!

Associate
At the moment this p30 pro and oppo 10x have the debatable beat camera on any phone. However as other phone companies catch up and with the pixel 4 coming out end of the year. The trade in value commercially is already bad for these devices. I can forsee some upset people crying that they get so little for when they want to trade in there phones. Then complaining to their carriers for a new mobile.

At the moment this p30 pro and oppo 10x have the debatable beat camera on any phone. However as other phone companies catch up and with the pixel 4 coming out end of the year. The trade in value commercially is already bad for these devices. I can forsee some upset people crying that they get so little for when they want to trade in there phones. Then complaining to their carriers for a new mobile.

I cant see this mess with Hu going on much longer, some major US players are already sending letters to the orange idiot to knock it on the head as its costing them more than Hu.

Soldato
So yeah, all reversed and back to normal.

Sauce

EDIT - Spoke too soon, price has gone up to £37 a month in the last few minutes.. arghh.

I'm sitting on the fence at the moment with the Mate 20 Pro.. £33 a month for 30 GB & Unlimited text/Minutes. I can't find a deal anywhere else that competes with that on price for the spec of phone.

Business expense too for the farm as I use my phone to order cow feed and check the weather etc, do you think it's worth a punt? £660 over two years when you consider the VAT refund, so around £27.50 a month, £40 Cashback via TCB, makes the phone around £300ish which you can't even pickup new or SH at that price..

Should I go for it? I need a push! Currently using a Wileyfox Swift with a £6 goodybag.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom