Laying seed help

Soldato
So I've finally decided to try and up & out the current pebbles in the garden, and make the whole garden look a lot better. I've started with one small patch which if I can't get to take with seed or turf I'll just have to relay membrane and put the stones back. I want to try and avoid having to discard of soil if possible as you can see from the photos the current dirt isnt leveling so i am hoping between breaking up the compact and top soil I can make this as level as possible whilst also only having to worry about getting rid of the pebbles.

Here is my current progress (it started raining)

SSNFZ79.jpg

rzrlcmO.jpg

I have since fully cleared and broken up the top 3 inches or so of compact soil and removed several bigger stones or pieces of what seem to be pottery.

The semi broken up picture looks dry but it is infact quite wet underneath all of the compact is almost ashe like soil. My plan is to break up the compact as much as possible, sprinkle in fertiliser leave for a few days then scatter with seed and a thin layer of top soil. Anyone see any issues with my plan? First time ever doing anything like this and tbh I am kind of winging it!

My second question is if all goes well and the seed takes nicely I will be doing the entire garden, about 35 sqmt in total. Is there an easy/quicker of turning over and breaking up all the compact soil than my current attempt which is with a fork and rake?

Soldato
I am doing the same as you but on a slightly bigger scale - been going at this since last year and keep raking and also pulling a length of wood across it to level it -
This is first of May and I am still in same position - When I am happy I will seed it and sprinkle compost over the seeds - Did the front lawn last year - thing with me I am not in any rush.
What you are doing is correct - just keep bashing all the lumps till you have a smooth surface - One thing I would do is put some wood edging between lawn and gravel - I have used 4x1 treated timber - I got three 4.8m lengths for about £10.

414204507.jpg

Soldato
OP
I am doing the same as you but on a slightly bigger scale - been going at this since last year and keep raking and also pulling a length of wood across it to level it -
This is first of May and I am still in same position - When I am happy I will seed it and sprinkle compost over the seeds - Did the front lawn last year - thing with me I am not in any rush.
What you are doing is correct - just keep bashing all the lumps till you have a smooth surface - One thing I would do is put some wood edging between lawn and gravel - I have used 4x1 treated timber - I got three 4.8m lengths for about £10.

414204507.jpg

Yeah I think the hardest part will be leveling it. Do you have a cultivator as google seems to show that will be the easiest way to even break up and disperse soil and fertiliser?

Soldato
Get a load of cheap compost and sharp sand and mix in with the soil it will give you a better ground to seed and produce the soft bouncy grass your after.

It's a little late in the season for grass growing from seed, I would be tempted to wait until August to seed as it will grow better .

Soldato
I spent 6 months just slicing the grass or what passed off as grass off then just raked and raked - I am now on the drag the plank stage till I am happy it's reasonably flat - then sow seeds. - Hopefully I will have a lawn by autumn.

All done by hand but it is soft sandy soil.

Soldato
OP
So the weather has held up enough recently to dry out the soil a bit. So I am not planning on tackling it today.

As its clay like soil. How much sand and top soil should I be using? I presume I just mix the sand in with clay then add a light layer of topsoil on and rake it over lay the seed and then rake over again?

Back
Top Bottom