Poll: Canadian Grand Prix 2019, Montréal - Race 7/21

Rate the 2019 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No he was in control he knew exactly where Lewis was, and was making sure he came back on in front if Lewis, or at the very least, in a place he could block Lewis' pass attempt.

Seb could very easily, as he went off track, eased off and slowed down and then steered back on in a safe way.

He didn't because he didn't want Lewis getting past.

Seb's fault he went off, Seb's choice to not back off, Seb's choice to steer straight back on and onto the racing line, watch the slow mo, his steering is dead straight heading for the racing line, zero attempt to steer to the left leaving Lewis space to pass.

perfectly fair penalty.
Also look at where he pointed the steering wheel after re-entering the track

Soldato
Well, I've certainly been at the front of the queue to poke a bit of fun at Ferrari and Vettel's many **** ups over the past couple of years, but I think that Vettel has been very unfortunate to have this decision go against him. I'm sure there will be plenty saying 'look at the steering wheel' but for me he was just regaining control. He didn't maximise traction and keep the line towards the wall, he regained control and then straightened.

Vettel changing the position stand signs around was hilarious!

Sadly, it has all masked another pretty **** poor race. Two in a row for Montreal.

Soldato
I don't know if Vettel had the back end step out or he purposely drove towards the wall to block Lewis, either way it was hit foot on the throttle and his hands on the wheel, desperate to keep the place after his own mistake.

Soldato
LOL

It's 'not racing' if you can't drive completely off the track and cut back on however you like to keep your position after you screw up a corner.

Madness

Hamilton and verstappen Mexico 2016...no penalty, explain. It happens...in fact most are not penalised on first lap for the very argument they are racing.

Soldato
People forget two things:

1. Vettel made a mistake because of the pressure
  2. Vettel kept his foot in (on the grass) to avoid losing time.

Everyone complaining that the car was out of control when rejoining has forgotten point #2

There’s always going to be a problem going from grass to asphalt at near racing speed :confused:
Also.

Vettek was 5 seconds ahead when Hamitlon did his pit stop. Why did he let Hamilton gain such a big gap in the first place?

Soldato
Commentary suggested managing brake temperatures and fuel.
Well how come Hamilton/Merc did not have to do the same?

Infact, Hamilon's car was behind hotter air following vettel throughout the race so surely it should be him managing his breaks/tyres?

Sounds like a bobo from Ferrari .

Two reasons why vettel does not deserve the win.

1. manageing overheat breaks/fuels
2. bad error from vettel

Soldato
Sky being total whiners, Vettel deserved the penalty due to his mistake and blocking when rejoining. Hamilton was one the brakes for over 0.5s when Vettle blocked him.

Another Vettle unforced error whilst leading a race.

Associate
Don't get me wrong, Lewis is a moaner when things aren't going his way. This is a given. However this behaviour from Vettel is on another level isn't it? Its almost like he just snaps.

The same LH who got a punishment from Stewart then came out saying its because hes black.

or is it LH who threatened Mercedes team to walk because NR was beating him and he didn't like it accusing them of favoring NR

I can go on and on with many others.

Soldato
The same LH who got a punishment from Stewart then came out saying its because hes black.

or is it LH who threatened Mercedes team to walk because NR was beating him and he didn't like it accusing them of favoring NR

I can go on and on with many others.

I think all competetors at this level are sore losers. Lewis has definitely had plenty of tantrums.

So has every other driver.

Whilst I cant argue with Hamiltons ability Im not a fan of his personality.

Likewise for Vettel.

But I really think todays decision was fair based on the rules. What irks me though, is the seeming inconsistency of how and when the rules are applied.

But its racing, sometimes you benefit from the decisions, others you dont.

Soldato
I think the difference this time, going by the stewards report, is that Hamilton had to avoid a collision. That didn’t happen in the video you posted

My point was in respect of multiple posters talking about how cutting the track isnt racing and should be penalised (putting aside the avoiding collision point as I'm largely on the fence with regards this specific incident). The fact as with most things in this sport is there is zero consistency.

Soldato
Well how come Hamilton/Merc did not have to do the same?

Infact, Hamilon's car was behind hotter air following vettel throughout the race so surely it should be him managing his breaks/tyres?

Sounds like a bobo from Ferrari .

Two reasons why vettel does not deserve the win.

1. manageing overheat breaks/fuels
2. bad error from vettel

Not necessarily aimed at you, but there's something moderately exciting happening in an F1 race and so many are posting at pace and not stopping to think.

Yes, Hamilton was behind him and there was plenty of evidence that Hamilton was having to managing temperatures. However, that doesn't really bear any relevance with what Ferrari were having to do. Even at the grid at the beginning, it was being suggested that Ferrari were facing a brake temperature problem with the unexpected high temperatures. Perhaps they didn't have as large or effective ducts as others - who knows. But the why doesn't really matter, because it appears to have been the case.

If they were managing fuel and Mercedes were not, perhaps the Ferrari engine is more thirsty? Perhaps they just chose that point to manage the fuel - they were able to turn the wick back up later on.

These things happen and change constantly in races all the time. Yet now, when some people are not thinking as rationally as they might, they're suddenly reasons to not deserve a win, as though Ferrari and Vettel thought that the answer to their problems would be to drive off the track and then re-enter to cut up Hamilton and everything remain exactly the same at the end of the lap and at the end of the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom