• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Caporegime
Xbone X does 4K 30fps. Since microsoft says is 4 times more powerful with up to 120fps, targeting customers also at 8K 30fps. Doesn't take much to start doing maths.
If 8K 30fps is the target then 4K 120 fps is possible.

Just sounds like you're hyping yourself up.

Will see it to believe it, but if what you're suggesting was true, there's basically no point to PC game anymore.

Associate
Dont forget also the Microsoft poresentation stated Project Scarlet will be released Christmas 2020 so the performanbce figures given + Ray tracing is more than likely Next Gen Navi or a higher Sku of this Gen that will be anounced at a later date.

Caporegime
Dont forget also the Microsoft poresentation stated Project Scarlet will be released Christmas 2020 so the performanbce figures given + Ray tracing is more than likely Next Gen Navi or a higher Sku of this Gen that will be anounced at a later date.

Or it's all hyperbole.
Doubtful it'd be next gen Navi, as much as Scarlett sounds like a concept console.

I guess it all depends on what AMD show tomorrow. At least from my POV.

Soldato
MS spilled the beans tonight of the NAVI capabilities, 1 day before AMD does so.
The new Xbox is 4 times more powerful than the Xbox One X.

up to 120fps, and up to 8K visuals. Also the console will support next-gen Ray Tracing.

120fps 4K probably (4x more powerful than the Xbox OneX)

And thats a console!!! More powerful than the significant majority of the PCs people have in this forum.

8k is for movie playback

4x more powerful is GPU + CPU power. The CPU is around 8 times fast and GPU 2 times faster, GPU has the largest impact on performance and that's how they came up with the 4x times number.

120hz will be a screen output up to 4k. That doesn't mean games produce 120fps, it means the it supports a 120hz refresh rate on your TV.
It's unlikely that most games will really do 120fps at 4k, but having an unlocked framerate with VRR over HDMI 2.1 will be SEXY

Sony said the PS5 uses Ray Tracing for Surround Sound Audio, they never mentioned graphics.
Did Microsoft mention what Ray Tracing was used for?

You guys have to read between the lines and look at the details. You're taking everything at face value and jumping on the hype train with assumptions and now some of you believe the Xbox One 2 is twice as faste as a 2080ti

Last edited:
Soldato
What’s the point of 120fps on a console when most of the users play on a 60hz telly?

What’s the reason to push technology?

It’s the same as always - I bet you said what’s the point of a 4K console when most people are on 1080p when the ps4 pro launched too.

You give them 120hz refresh and that gives them an upgrade path. So they can go out and buy a new telly

Soldato
4K 60 FPS target was obvious. Anyone with even a gram of hardware & game knowledge understands this. There's nothing unbelievable about it, in fact anyone with a V64 or a 2070 can go out and test this for themselves, so long as they understand one thing: settings aren't locked to the maximum preset. And also, game development optimises over time. It gets easier to do the same thing with time, as the software knowledge advances.

4K 120 FPS also doable for the lighter esports title & the like. Overwatch, Rocket League, etc.

8K isn't too far fetched either, but I reckon this is more of a spec-sheet feature than anything. Obviously it will have 8K video playback, but it could also have something like DirectML 8K for some games. I wouldn't expect too much on that front. Edit: Could also be 8K for back-compat games, e.g. really old ones.

What's clear is that this console is going to be an absolute BEAST. Now it's up to Nvidia to push RT further for PC, because they're about to get hit in the head with a 10-ton bomb for mass market.

Last edited:
Soldato
Microsoft, not one to let fanboys ride the hype train for too long has clarified some details on their Facebook page.

The next gen Xbox is designed to be a native 4K 60fps machine first and foremost. But if developers want to give gamers a high refresh rate option they can do so with VRR support making sure there is no tearing. And 8k support is not meant for games but to give those who have 8k panels the option of having the OS UI look nice as well as being able to use apps in 8k once those features are added in the future

Soldato
4K 60 FPS target was obvious. Anyone with even a gram of hardware & game knowledge understands this. There's nothing unbelievable about it, in fact anyone with a V64 or a 2070 can go out and test this for themselves, so long as they understand one thing: settings aren't locked to the maximum preset. And also, game development optimises over time. It gets easier to do the same thing with time, as the software knowledge advances.

4K 120 FPS also doable for the lighter esports title & the like. Overwatch, Rocket League, etc.

8K isn't too far fetched either, but I reckon this is more of a spec-sheet feature than anything. Obviously it will have 8K video playback, but it could also have something like DirectML 8K for some games. I wouldn't expect too much on that front.

What's clear is that this console is going to be an absolute BEAST. Now it's up to Nvidia to push RT further for PC, because they're about to get hit in the head with a 10-ton bomb for mass market.

As someone who owns a Vega64 and 4k Freesync setup I have to concur. With a mix of pretty high setting I can get to 60fps maintained. Compromises have to be done but the visuals don't have to be sacrificed as much as some would think. Freesync does help a lot when needed. A console with the same or more power should in theory be more potent with straight to hardware optimizations.

Soldato
@TheRealDeal

Yup, exactly.

I always give this example. If you turn volumetric clouds to ultra in AC: Odyssey you get a 40% performance hit. When you look at 2080ti benchmark results you then think "omg 4k 60 fps is impossible not even 2080 ti can do it", but then you look at a properly set-up game and all of a sudden performance is just oozing everywhere. Same with DX:MD and CHS, Metro & Advanced DOF, same with a lot of other games, with a lot of other settings. No real visual drop but a lot more performance.

Soldato
Haha yep

I heard all these bad things about Odyssey

But once o tweak a couple settings like turning down the clouds it can easily average as high as 4K 90fps with the tiniest changes to vactual visual quality.

People might be blown away by next gen consoles, but you can achieve a lot with very little visual sacrifice by turning down a few settings and this is the case for most games.

People also tend to forget that benchmarks are just that - benchmarking to stress hardware, not necessarily the settings people should use while gaming

Soldato
So in about 18 months time the new Xbox will have a gpu roughly on par with a vega 64/1080 which once the games are suitably nerfed should be able to hit native 4K/60?

Wow, just wow. No wonder people are predicting the death of pc gaming!

Back
Top Bottom