Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Man of Honour
I found a 1988 cbr400rr at a breakers, and the guy is packing up his business. Managed to agree to buy it on Sunday, for £250 (was listed for £325)
Its still got a registration on it, and looks like it was off the road since 2005. It was apparently bought at a Police auction many years ago, but he has lost all the history of the bike and just needs to clear the yard.
I was looking for something to take to bits again, and this seemed like a fun little bike to tinker with! Apparently the engine does turn, but the wiring is a bit of a mess, no battery and loads of fairings missing.

I hear they are great to ride, and rev to something crazy like 17k? I figure for the money its a decent gamble!
Thread! I love these.

Soldato
I found a 1988 cbr400rr at a breakers, and the guy is packing up his business. Managed to agree to buy it on Sunday, for £250 (was listed for £325)
Its still got a registration on it, and looks like it was off the road since 2005. It was apparently bought at a Police auction many years ago, but he has lost all the history of the bike and just needs to clear the yard.
I was looking for something to take to bits again, and this seemed like a fun little bike to tinker with! Apparently the engine does turn, but the wiring is a bit of a mess, no battery and loads of fairings missing.

I hear they are great to ride, and rev to something crazy like 17k? I figure for the money its a decent gamble!

I had a 1988 400RR! My first “big” bike. Loved it, fantastic thing! Quite small though, it’s built for the Japanese really. If you have long legs or over 6’ tall, you might find it uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
I had a 1988 400RR! By first “big” bike. Loved it, fantastic thing! Quite small though, it’s built for the Japanese really. If you have long legs or over 6’ tall, you might find it uncomfortable.

5'8 (and a half!) And I loved the riding position on the cbr125r I had.
Just got the trailer sorted and heading up this evening!
Likely to be a long term project, so will see what needs doing when get it home tonight

Soldato

You sir are a madman....I love it! :D

Soldato
Have been eyeing up the new S1000RR though ;)

It looks stunning. I've seen a couple on the road now, presumably on test rides, and they look fantastic.

I was flirting with dropping down to a KTM 790 Adventure and then saw the new RR in the flesh, and though that if they get 90% of that engine and styling into a new XR then my money is ready to be taken.

Soldato
None that I've seen, other than the 850 variant that still isn't clear if it is an XR or an RS. Based on past history BMW should launch the R next and then the XR, maybe announcing the latter near the end of 2020 for spring 2021 deliveries, but that's just guesswork. I'm saving in anticipation!

Soldato
After having a glance at my tyres today I've decided it's time to get some new shoes. I was hoping to make it to August as the bike won't be used August-Feb but they're too close to wear markers :( Enquired about having some PR5's fitted :) Also trying to get it booked in to have some heated grips fitted and when I go home (at some point in JUly) I need to replace brake pads, bleed and put some fresh fluid, Oil filter change, air filter change, spark plugs change on the SV in order to sell it to a friend :(

Never done anything with the brakes before :( A bit concerned. May look into having the work done for me to be honest; price dependant.

Soldato
I absolutely detest those...but they do give you some lovely clear pipe to play with...mind you, my experience with them has been on a car and those systems are a bit longer to pull the fluid through so just don't work.
I prefer pressure ones that you attach to the master cylinder and then just crack the bleed nipple open, however I don't know how suitable they are for bikes.

Man of Honour
I absolutely detest those...but they do give you some lovely clear pipe to play with...mind you, my experience with them has been on a car and those systems are a bit longer to pull the fluid through so just don't work.
I prefer pressure ones that you attach to the master cylinder and then just crack the bleed nipple open, however I don't know how suitable they are for bikes.
I found it great on my SV makes bleeding the brakes a 10 minute job, as long as you remember to keep the res topped up.

Back
Top Bottom