Pope announces significant change to Lord's Prayer!

Soldato
I thought maybe he was going to go for the 'full version rather then the' abridged' one catholics currently use.....

(yes I know the last last verse the COE use was a later addition)

Associate
Maybe the hope is to avoid the smelly stuff sticking to the big dude himself as more and more bad mens deeds are inevitably dealt with going forward.

Soldato
I'm all for theologies to evolve, modernise and ascribe tolerance to other teachings, faiths and non-faiths. However, this latest papacy proclamation continues to demonstrate the utter redundancy of that specific office.

Man of Honour
So it's more of the "it's a bad translation because I don't like it" malarky. A false appeal to authority, essentially, which is fitting for religion since that is itself a false appeal to authority.

It might be a bad translation - there's plenty of that in the bible - but if so it won't be because the current pope doesn't like it.

Man of Honour
I'm all for theologies to evolve, modernise and ascribe tolerance to other teachings, faiths and non-faiths. [..]

I have some abstract sympathy for religions in that respect. If you believe that god(s) have decreed your religion to be correct, how can you change it to suit whatever happens to be considered modern in whatever place you're in?

Soldato
I have some abstract sympathy for religions in that respect. If you believe that god(s) have decreed your religion to be correct, how can you change it to suit whatever happens to be considered modern in whatever place you're in?
You hit the nail with abstract.

I don't knock people for arriving at a belief in something, anything or nothing. Evolution and technology alone denote that interpretation and modernisation must occur if subscription to theology or any such thoughts is to remain relevant. With that; a greater respect and tolerance that many gods can exist and co-exist to support these myriads of thoughts and beliefs.

I'm all for it. Anything to get people through the day.

I have a big issue with cultural evangelising / indoctrination / autocratic theology. A faith which needs to place children into thought bondage, through parental or family subjugation or prostitute itself to subscript followers is not something I can support.

Caporegime
I have a much more modern suggestion as a prayer for modern Christianity. It also happens to fit in a tune rather well:

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
And they're like, it's better than yours
Damn right it's better than yours
I can teach you, but I have to charge
I know you want it
The thing that makes me
What the guys go crazy for
They lose their minds
The way I wind
I think it's time
La la, la la, la
Warm it up
La la, la la, la
The boys are waiting
La la, la la, la
Warm it up
La la, la la, la
The boys are waiting
I can see you're on it
You want me to teach thee
Techniques that freaks these boys
It can't be bought
Just know, thieves get caught
Watch if you're smart
La la, la la, la
Warm it up
La la, la la, la
The boys are waiting
La la, la la, la
Warm it up
La la, la la, la
The boys are waiting
Oh, once you get involved
Everyone will look this way, so
You must maintain your charm
Same time maintain your halo
Just get the perfect blend
Plus what you have within
Then next his eyes'll squint
Then he's picked up your scent
La la, la la, la
Warm it up
La la, la la, la
The boys are waiting
La la, la la, la
Warm it up
La la, la la, la
The boys are waiting

Caporegime
A biblical scholar brings some much needed sanity to this topic:

Capture.png

Man of Honour
A biblical scholar brings some much needed sanity to this topic:

Capture.png

Which raises the question of which is the better translation, which raises the question of whether it's possible to tell. My comments have been more on the justification used, rather than on the translation itself. The pope didn't like the previous translation for theological reasons, not linguistic ones.

Also...if they have access to an older Greek text, why not translate from that into Italian rather than going through Latin first? Also, as a side note, it's possible that Jesus spoke Greek. It was widely used as a lingua franca in that part of the world at that time.

Caporegime
Which raises the question of which is the better translation, which raises the question of whether it's possible to tell. My comments have been more on the justification used, rather than on the translation itself. The pope didn't like the previous translation for theological reasons, not linguistic ones.

Also...if they have access to an older Greek text, why not translate from that into Italian rather than going through Latin first?

I can't answer those questions, you'll have to ask a Catholic.

Also, as a side note, it's possible that Jesus spoke Greek. It was widely used as a lingua franca in that part of the world at that time.

It's generally believed he was fluent in Greek and Aramaic, but he would have spoken Aramaic to a Jewish and Samaritan audience.

Back
Top Bottom