Earplugs for Concerts

Man of Honour
There is frankly too much choice and pro-marketed bull crap to have a clue as to what to get... also the most recent thread on this is a couple of years old.

Any recommendations? Just looking to take the edge off / avoid ringing ears :)

Associate
I tend to use the standard foam earplugs from the pharmacy when I go to concerts and they work pretty well. Very rarely do I notice any more ringing in my ears than I already have.

Man of Honour
you can generally get a bag of 100 disposable foam plugs from Poundland, don't see you needing anything more exotic than that.

To be honest the dearer ones like Earpeace let high frequencies through at a lower volume so the sound is way better.
There is a major sonic difference, the cheap ones block everything off but you have a more correct sound with the dearer ones.

Man of Honour
OP
You won't need them for a stadium gig.
I’ve definitely had ringing ears at stadium gigs - also, I’m planning for my head to be feet away the drum kit and monitors at points as I’m going to be right in the ‘snake pit’ thing that band do. Taking these as a precaution. Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them, I think / hope :)

Soldato
I got ACS custom plugs for £159, pricey yes but got to look after your ears as i have got tinnitus which started about 3 year ago after a loud gig.

Promoters/ venues need to do more to promote protection, Most people i speak to have never heard of tinnitus and i was the same.

Soldato
I’ve definitely had ringing ears at stadium gigs - also, I’m planning for my head to be feet away the drum kit and monitors at points as I’m going to be right in the ‘snake pit’ thing that band do. Taking these as a precaution. Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them, I think / hope :)
Definitely. My friend who is 65 was a gigging drummer in his 20's and 30's, and still suffers with tinitus and the ringing in his ears. I also played for many years in a band but learnt earlier on the benefits of ears plugs. Got mine from Boots at the time. I'm so glad I did as my hearing is still in good nick.

Man of Honour

Basically these and the Earpeace ear plugs Nitefly has now ordered basically have a hole going through them to let the treble through.
I wonder if you put a hole through the cheap Boots ones if they would let the high frequencies through?

Back
Top Bottom