Do I need help?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
170 in a day, flat out? It will be like a thirsty brewery hoss on a hot summers day.
So in the 1.6 I had it did one way in 3 "fuel-lights" which I think is quarter tank. Currently in the 5 series is a quarter tank a day let's say but probably double the tank size so works out the same but with cheaper petrol. - beer mat calcs

Associate
As I currently own and drive a R53 Cooper S (2005) that has had some work done to it. - Lohen supercharger pulley upgrade, intercooler, exhaust, brake kit upgrade, has around the same power now as a JCW from around that time.

I would say it's fun, but few things that rule it out and I'm thinking of getting rid of it soon or keeping it as a weekend funday car and then buying something more comfortable for the longer journeys.

Big things to take into account:

- The ride is hard and unforgiving especially with run flats - even on the smoothest of roads you feel everything. Great for a B road blast. Not so fun driving 170 miles every day.
- Road noise - you hear a lot of it, and always seems to be loudest when you are sat at around motorway speeds. It will get to you eventually.
- Fuel economy on mine I can get down to devon on back on a tank, (160 miles each way, mostly motorway if I'm mostly sensible)

Caporegime
Driving my 5 with all its power for overtaking, its amazing 4WS handling and its RWD skidding about is... also becoming boring as hell.

I'll still have that and my E34 as well as the wife's car to swap into whenever I need, but I'd like something fun to wrack the mileage onto.

Note: The 170miles a day will hopefully be foot to the floor the majority of the way, that can't lose its fun can it?

it can when it's in a mini.

every tiny little bump you hit will feel like a trench. you will need to straddle the steering wheel to keep the car from flying around.

they only really do well in smooth roads.

also the repair costs are eye watering. your paying BMW prices for something more akin to a fiat 500.

170 miles i'd want a 7 series or an SUV. i wouldn't want to feel any bumps at all.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

170 miles, commute and fun don’t go together.

Get a diesel Octavia or something.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
170 miles, commute and fun don’t go together.

Get a diesel Octavia or something.
He already has a 530d which is a near perfect commuter. I am constantly thinking that i should change my E350 Merc for one. Great cars, something that a 15 year old Mini is not :p

Soldato
Driving my 5 with all its power for overtaking, its amazing 4WS handling and its RWD skidding about is... also becoming boring as hell.
This is because a 170 mile round commute is boring as hell, not because the car is.

The Mini might seem fun to start with because of the novelty value but once that wears off and you're arriving at work feeling like you've just driven 500 miles due to the fact the Mini is completely unsuited to the job in hand, you'll soon wish you had never bothered.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
170 miles, commute race and fun don’t go together
i think it'd be about £38 a day if you do 170 miles, it's only a 50L tank so you wouldn't get 2 days commute without fuelling up.

That's with standard 95 fuel at £1.259 a litre doing 25mpg.
Hmm so more than the 535d but not by much considering.
I say go for it. I very much miss my old R53 Cooper S.
Wahey one endorsement! Did you tune yours at all?
As I currently own and drive a R53 Cooper S (2005) that has had some work done to it. - Lohen supercharger pulley upgrade, intercooler, exhaust, brake kit upgrade, has around the same power now as a JCW from around that time.

I would say it's fun, but few things that rule it out and I'm thinking of getting rid of it soon or keeping it as a weekend funday car and then buying something more comfortable for the longer journeys.

Big things to take into account:

- The ride is hard and unforgiving especially with run flats - even on the smoothest of roads you feel everything. Great for a B road blast. Not so fun driving 170 miles every day.
- Road noise - you hear a lot of it, and always seems to be loudest when you are sat at around motorway speeds. It will get to you eventually.
- Fuel economy on mine I can get down to devon on back on a tank, (160 miles each way, mostly motorway if I'm mostly sensible)
So ditch the run flats and fit decent speakers, got it! ;)

Honestly I'm used to hard rides so that's no problem.

What do you hate about your car and what do you love?
it can when it's in a mini.

every tiny little bump you hit will feel like a trench. you will need to straddle the steering wheel to keep the car from flying around.

they only really do well in smooth roads.

also the repair costs are eye watering. your paying BMW prices for something more akin to a fiat 500.

170 miles i'd want a 7 series or an SUV. i wouldn't want to feel any bumps at all.
I already have all that what I'm after is something fun.
He already has a 530d which is a near perfect commuter. I am constantly thinking that i should change my E350 Merc for one. Great cars, something that a 15 year old Mini is not :p
a 535d actually, probably one of the best spec'd F11 in the country haha but doesn't stop it boring me to death when it's not sliding around.
This is because a 170 mile round commute is boring as hell, not because the car is.

The Mini might seem fun to start with because of the novelty value but once that wears off and you're arriving at work feeling like you've just driven 500 miles due to the fact the Mini is completely unsuited to the job in hand, you'll soon wish you had never bothered.
Hmmm it is not a boring drive, especially when the roads are empty... but getting enjoyment from my journey is a big thing for me as I like cars but I absolutely LOVE driving and currently I'm not in love with my daily drive any more.

Couple all that with the money I'm losing on the 5 it makes sense to get a cheap throw away toy. 3.5k is acceptable wastage I'd say over a couple of years.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
170 in a day, flat out? It will be like a thirsty brewery hoss on a hot summers day.
Horse? What's a brewery horse?
I have no clue about mini's, so i say get the john cooper works, it has more power, cause more power is always good, espectially on a near 200mile commute.
Expensive to start and styling does nothing for me. Stage 2 remap will be sufficient :)

Looks like it'd be low to mid 20's in MPG driving it in a spirited manner, they seem thirsty for the performance on offer.

I guess it'd be a full tank of fuel at least every 2 days in that case.

You would be lucky to get 30MPG from it, spirited driving can see it well below 20MPG.
That's not too bad, be about as eco as my old 325 then?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Ah so this is one of those threads.

OP requests advice then refuses to listen reason and goes with his/her preconceived ideas, regardless of the sanity :p

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
No, OP requested suggestions... Read it again

So far there's been one suggestion and a million posts about my commute saying oh no its gonna be so hard reh reh not remembering I'm keeping the F11 and have other cars that I use to jump back into whenever I want.

I've asked for suggestions of cheap fun in comparison to the mini. Hook me up!

Back
Top Bottom