Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
Haha no chance were getting 4k60. 4k30 and if we're lucky 1080p60 or hopefully 100+ fps. Even now days, pc gamers would rather game at a lower(than 4k)resolution, but higher fps/hz.

Best case scenario, 1440p60 upscaled to 4k.

I would strongly disagree with you but the ray tracing might put a spanner in the works and cause resolution/fps to be reduced.

I'm guessing we're only getting 16GB memory and they'll use the SSD as virtual RAM if extra is needed. That saves a few quid on the Bill of Materials.

Associate
Why do they need to do better?

They have pleased you with this announcement so good for you. However, THEY are in it for the money and that means selling lots of consoles & games. I wish them well and hope that they actually do better, competition in the console market improves things for everyone.

Soldato
Haha no chance were getting 4k60. 4k30 and if we're lucky 1080p60 or hopefully 100+ fps. Even now days, pc gamers would rather game at a lower(than 4k)resolution, but higher fps/hz.

Xbox One X already runs a number of games 4K at 60fps, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable given this will have at least twice the GPU power and considerable improvements on the CPU and ram side.

Soldato
Seen a tweet saying that the new Xbox Elite Wireless Controller is 100% compatible with Scarlett. Well, that's jolly good news. The ordinary Xbone controllers are my favourite ever so if they're not changing the design, I'll be well happy.

https://twitter.com/shieldsjames/status/1137872302094241792

He says further down that the other Xbox One controllers are compatible too. This is awesome because I've got two for my Xbox One (one is red for my little boy) and replacing them is quite expensive!

Soldato
Xbox One X already runs a number of games 4K at 60fps, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable given this will have at least twice the GPU power and considerable improvements on the CPU and ram side.

It would be quite the jump in perf/watt and drop in manufacturing costs for them to put that sort of GPU power in an APU. I mean, 12TFLOP is a shade under a radeon VII, a 295w TDP card. This 'twice the performance' statement is probably measuring some sort of number that doesnt have a 1:1 relationship with outright GPU power. IE, memory bandwidth or FP64 (dont know why they would double that in a console but..) or something similar.

Soldato
They said all your peripherals and games will work, so they are going the whole "ecosystem" approach.

You own 400+ games digitally, +gamepass ,+the hardware stuff (wheel, headset, elite pad) then it takes a big push to move you over to the other side.

Soldato
It would be quite the jump in perf/watt and drop in manufacturing costs for them to put that sort of GPU power in an APU. I mean, 12TFLOP is a shade under a radeon VII, a 295w TDP card. This 'twice the performance' statement is probably measuring some sort of number that doesnt have a 1:1 relationship with outright GPU power. IE, memory bandwidth or FP64 (dont know why they would double that in a console but..) or something similar.

I’m just expecting it to have between 10-12 TFLOP based on what they are saying. Can’t wait to hear more about it. My Xbox One X feels pretty powerful to be fair, hardly seems ‘out of date’ even though it’s hampered by the age old CPU. The jump in CPU power alone will be pretty damn impressive.

Soldato
I’m just expecting it to have between 10-12 TFLOP based on what they are saying. Can’t wait to hear more about it. My Xbox One X feels pretty powerful to be fair, hardly seems ‘out of date’ even though it’s hampered by the age old CPU. The jump in CPU power alone will be pretty damn impressive.

I'd agree with that, the 360 was creaking by the time the xbox one came out and games felt restricted in places. with companies like rockstar jumping through hoops to get GTA V to run.

By comparison the Xbox One X runs everything with ease, now some of that is most likely cause its hamstrung by the original Xbox One but its not like the end of the 360 days thats for sure.

Associate

MSoft have stated 4K Native 60fps gaming. No reason at this stage to believe that this isn't going to happen. If it doesn't what is the point of the new console as the One X happily chugs along at 4K 30fps in X enhanced titles.

Shawrey

Soldato
MSoft have stated 4K Native 60fps gaming. No reason at this stage to believe that this isn't going to happen. If it doesn't what is the point of the new console as the One X happily chugs along at 4K 30fps in X enhanced titles.

Shawrey

And who exactly has a TV doing over 60hz @ 4k anyway? (not motionflow or some other BS either) not mass market that's for sure.

Even PC monitors doing over 60hz 4k are still very expensive and edge cases.

Associate
HDMI 2.1 will suddenly start appearing on all the new TVs from the next cycle to harness the demand from these new consoles. It’ll hardly be mainstream though due to the £££. I’ll see what the reality of 120fps is first though. Very doubtful that it’ll be doable without scaling the Gfx right down.

My hope for these new machines is an eradication of pop-in in Gfx. Biggest criticism of the current gen in terms of losing immersion.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Isn't the new Call of Duty running at nearly 4K with 60fps on PS4 Pro even in an early stage without optimization? Games like that could manage 4K 120 on the new consoles, probably.

Soldato
They have pleased you with this announcement so good for you. However, THEY are in it for the money and that means selling lots of consoles & games. I wish them well and hope that they actually do better, competition in the console market improves things for everyone.
And Sony aren't? The console doesn't make them a lot of money, they make their money from a slice of the game sales and the subscription fees.

Associate
And who exactly has a TV doing over 60hz @ 4k anyway? (not motionflow or some other BS either) not mass market that's for sure.

Even PC monitors doing over 60hz 4k are still very expensive and edge cases.

Me? I'm not made of money but have an LG c7. Yes it only has HDMI 2.0 but this happily supports 40K 60fps (and just about supports 8K 24/30) HDMI 2.1 offers no value to me as currently.

4K is just about becoming mainstream now with some cheaper sets costing around £300 so 4K 60fps should be the golden standard for the next few years - if not the life cycle of the new console(s) as rumoured to be 2 different boxes a lite product and a more premium/ultimate version.

Isn't the new Call of Duty running at nearly 4K with 60fps on PS4 Pro even in an early stage without optimization? Games like that could manage 4K 120 on the new consoles, probably.

Sony did state was running 4K 60fps on PS4 Pro (I would guess with some form of VRR and some clever engine trickery) so X1X should be able to maintain that fps more consistently than the Pro.

Shawrey

Soldato

It's not a hardware issue, it's the devs prioritise graphics over framerate. You could give devs a server farm to render on and say go wild and some would still just go for best graphics ever at 30fps rather than not quite so pretty at 60.

Back
Top Bottom