Straight Pride - Right on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Which is a large part of the point, since everything you've just written applies equally well to gay pride for exactly the same reasons. As you say yourself, "X pride" implies there is something wrong with being not X. That's why a person is proud of being X, for whatever value of X. A person can't be proud of X unless they regard it as being better than not-X. If they don't, there is no reason for pride.
I don’t think that’s quite right. Pride as a word clearly has some scope as to its use. If one takes pride in oneself it means to value oneself - to have self esteem and like yourself. That’s someone we should all aim for.

So when someone says they are proud of, for example, being gay, they are saying “I am not ashamed of that part of me - I like that part of me”. And that’s great. I don’t think there is any sense of superiority in it at all. It’s not saying “I’d rather be gay than not gay” either.

Caporegime
Its got nothing to do with the word either, honestly why the semantics... it's always been a statement of companionship and culture as a minority that was oppressed, it may have evolved into a corporate aggravation, but still.

Would be really cool though if certain folks didnt use it to fetishise the whole thing into some sexually charged euphemism, which does no one favours.

Man of Honour
Maybe some of you haven't realised, but it isn't 'pride' in the sense you think, it is pride in terms of being the antonym for ashamed.

That's an obvious and very silly lie, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't make any difference at all.

You're ashamed of something you consider inferior in some way.
You're proud of something you consider superior in some way.

Those are not the only two options. Neither is equality. Neither becomes different because the biological group is different.

Also, consider the results of applying that obvious and silly lie fairly, without extreme irrational prejudice. You either have to equally support straight pride, white pride, etc, or you are arguing that people should be ashamed of being straight or "white", etc. If you really believe that the only possible options are shame or pride, that is your position. So which is it? Also, how would you assign a scoring system to different biological groups so that everyone can conform to how much pride or shame you decree they must feel for the having by chance been born into "right" and "wrong" groups? Does the shame of being a wrong "race" outweigh the pride of being a right sexual orientation? Does the shame of being the wrong sex outweigh the pride of having the right hair colour? Etc, etc, etc.

Man of Honour
I don’t think that’s quite right. Pride as a word clearly has some scope as to its use. If one takes pride in oneself it means to value oneself - to have self esteem and like yourself. That’s someone we should all aim for.

So when someone says they are proud of, for example, being gay, they are saying “I am not ashamed of that part of me - I like that part of me”. And that’s great. I don’t think there is any sense of superiority in it at all. It’s not saying “I’d rather be gay than not gay” either.

That's a rationalisation, not a reality.

Granted, I accept the possibility of the existence of a person who decides that the word "pride" means what you want it to mean and who believes in division and who believes in biological group identity and who genuinely supports an ideology of "seperate but equal". But I do so in the same way I accept the possibility of me being Prime Minister - it's theoretically possible, but it has never happened and almost certainly never will happen. Where are these people you refer to, people who are equally promoting gay pride and straight pride?

Soldato
The whole point was to show how absurd gay pride really is. I get the equal rights thing, but aren't we all past all that now? It seems that gay pride is now just an excuse to act like degenerate sex addicts in public

Imagine having pride in something as shallow as your sexuality. Like some of these people’s entire self image revolve around characteristics about themselves that they have no control over. You should have pride in your own personal achievements, not something you're born with

Soldato
Mantra of the left....

"celebrate diversity, diversity is our strength etc etc..."

White male trolls.... 'OK how about I hold an 'inclusive' celebration of straight / white / cis / fully bodily able etc individuals? '

'progressives' - REEEEEEEEEE! ...... royally take the bait ensuring that a proposal that would otherswise be nothing more than an obscure entry in a corner of the Internet gets international press coverage.....

Don't forget people it's 'OK to be white' and I'll see you on the straight pride float when the parade comes to the UK.

Soldato
Yep they take the bait everytime and their double standards get exposed for the world to see. They preach equality but what they really want is dominance

Soldato
Terrorist? Really?

Antifa's explicit methodology is to silence and intimidate their opponents through violence and the threat of violence.

That's because they aren't technically a group, it's an ideology where different groups adhere to.

Antifa are a group. They just don't have a formal hierarchy / membership.

As to the OP, if someone wants a pride march for straight people, it already exists. Gay pride marches are now at least 70% straight people attending as either "allies" or calling themselves "queer". (AKA series of heterosexual relationships but has blue hair or a "bi cut").

prideweek.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's a rationalisation, not a reality.

Granted, I accept the possibility of the existence of a person who decides that the word "pride" means what you want it to mean and who believes in division and who believes in biological group identity and who genuinely supports an ideology of "seperate but equal". But I do so in the same way I accept the possibility of me being Prime Minister - it's theoretically possible, but it has never happened and almost certainly never will happen. Where are these people you refer to, people who are equally promoting gay pride and straight pride?

Being straight has never been something to be ashamed of, so need to counter it with pride.

The whole point was to show how absurd gay pride really is. I get the equal rights thing, but aren't we all past all that now? It seems that gay pride is now just an excuse to act like degenerate sex addicts in public

Imagine having pride in something as shallow as your sexuality. Like some of these people’s entire self image revolve around characteristics about themselves that they have no control over. You should have pride in your own personal achievements, not something you're born with

Well this is pretty telling, haha.

Associate
Antifa are a group. They just don't have a formal hierarchy / membership.

Or a headquarters, leadership/founding members, formal written constitution or statement of intentions etc. That's been the biggest problem in dealing with them legally. They were formed in the 30s as a catch all for anyone violently left wing, like the term neo-nazi.

They are by a group in the physical sense, because if they weren't you wouldn't see hundreds of black bloc members turn out to beat up a dozen right wingers at a fringe protest. But in terms of legislation and proscribed groups, they aren't. Contradictory I know.

Associate

Lol, you're my favourite internet mentalist by far

Soldato
Pride in expressing, not pride in being.

That's what Pride is about. If you're not understanding that as your starting point, then you end up working your way up into stupid ******* conclusions. Like trying to organise a straight pride parade, for ***** sake!.

Soldato
Still terrorists though!

I don't know anyone in anifta. I had a couple of friends in the anti facist league in the late 80s. They'd turn up where ever the National Front or other extreme right wing lot were marching and trying to intimidate locals in that area that didn't fit with their "ideological beliefs". And yeah it often ended in violence. Lets not kid ourselves that the NF didn't also instigate the violence and didn't enjoy inflicting violence on anyone who wasn't part of their group or racial identity. While we have an extreme racist right we'll have the opposite, sadly we're a long way from the knuckle draggers no longer being part of society. I don't agree with instigating violence though and certainly not any destruction of property but sometimes violence leads to violence.

Caporegime
I don't know anyone in anifta. I had a couple of friends in the anti facist league in the late 80s. They'd turn up where ever the National Front or other extreme right wing lot were marching and trying to intimidate locals in that area that didn't fit with their "ideological beliefs". And yeah it often ended in violence. Lets not kid ourselves that the NF didn't also instigate the violence and didn't enjoy inflicting violence on anyone who wasn't part of their group or racial identity. While we have an extreme racist right we'll have the opposite, sadly we're a long way from the knuckle draggers no longer being part of society. I don't agree with instigating violence though and certainly not any destruction of property but sometimes violence leads to violence.

The thing is it doesn't have to lead to violence on their part. They could simply not turn up. The only reason they do it is to be confrontational. If one group are being violent just leave the police to deal with it.

Associate

The far-right are barely registering on the richtascale right now and any marches or events are barely reaching triple digits and attended by the sad and lame.

A couple of years back I was tasked with reviewing the CPS cases involving arrests of far right protesters at a few events and had to advise discontinuece as it was obvious from CCTV that the far right had complied by the rules of peaceful protest and the initial consultation with police for pre-event planning. Antifa showed up and with zero provocation attacked the right with bricks, poles and broken bottles causing GBH injuries. My honest held belief is somebody would have been killed if it wasn't for 10-15 polish ultras fighting off dozens of Antifa who then ran away.

If Antifa hadn't have turned up then it would have been an embarrassing non-event like what was seen by Britain First rally's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom