Dark Phoenix (2019)

Soldato
I dunno about you or him, but I only noticed my own eye rolling when that happened.
Then again, the packed showing I went to was 3hrs of goons chewing with their mouths open, finding EVERYTHING beyond hilarious, sobbing at the sad bits and then applause at the end like the cast and crew were there to hear them.
Did you watch it in the usa:D, seems common that they applaud ffor some reason.

Associate
I enjoyed it. I don't think she's the best actress to play the part but it was a good film. Not sure it will work so well on a small screen for home viewing. The X Women comment was unnecessary and jarring.

Caporegime
I liked the score, only just realised it was Zimmer :D.

Vuk or she who shall not be named was as bland and boring as they get but I am questioning why Captain Marvel (a recent 'fine' film IMO) is better than this. On second watch for both of them I think I will prefer Dark Phoenix, plus the score is much better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Huh, didn't realise this until a friend pointed it out but going back my earlier "let's redo the last stand but worse" comment. This is written and directed by one of the writers of the last stand.

So how the **** do you do the same story twice and still make it terrible?

Not be a very good writer, then attempt directing as well on top of that...

As has been mentioned previously; Fox just wanted to get a film out to retain the rights.

Seems like this movie is tanking pretty hard, took $14mill on its opening weekend.

I mean that’s pretty bad to be honest for a movie that’s cost $200mill at least.

Big mistake casting Sansa aka Sophie Turner as a lead, she was absolutely dire on GOT and this just proves what a terrible actress she is all round.

I saw it last night myself with the missus and we thought it was ok, could have been better and both concluded that Sophie is a pretty bad actress.

What baffles me, is looking at some comments in Sophie's Wired interview on Youtube, some people said she is a great actress! :/

I'm not knocking GoT itself; but most likely they are GoT fans without the power of observation or the ability to understand the difference between being able to act and the ability to impersonate a plank of wood.

Soldato
I'm not knocking GoT itself; but most likely they are GoT fans without the power of observation or the ability to understand the difference between being able to act and the ability to impersonate a plank of wood.

She was a much "better" actress during the first few seasons where she was able to portray the naive, lonely and vulnerable 16 year old character extremely well. It's only been since season 5, where her character has has changed to grow a back-bone, that her acting has become more "wooden" but how much of that is down to direction - i.e. D&D wanting her to be like that - or how much is her acting ability is really unknown.

Associate
I went in with low expectations after the crap film that was Apocalypse. Enjoyed this one much more overall. Nowhere near as good as DOFP though. But decent, the action scenes were the best bits, particularly the train scene. I'm probably biased because I'm partially in love with Sophie Turner. (Looks not acting).

Caporegime
She was a much "better" actress during the first few seasons where she was able to portray the naive, lonely and vulnerable 16 year old character extremely well. It's only been since season 5, where her character has has changed to grow a back-bone, that her acting has become more "wooden" but how much of that is down to direction - i.e. D&D wanting her to be like that - or how much is her acting ability is really unknown.

My money's on her being Kristen Stewart 2.0 :D

Soldato
She was a much "better" actress during the first few seasons where she was able to portray the naive, lonely and vulnerable 16 year old character extremely well.
I feel really sorry for Sophie Turner, though I suppose we could argue that if she was in the least bit self-aware she might know that -- like the vast majority of child actors -- early success has very little bearing on whether they'll be talented in adult roles. I'm not particularly convinced by any of the young (at the start) stars of GoT, but they matured as well as could be expected in their roles and should now be sitting back on their GoT trust funds wondering what to do with the rest of their lives. Nice position to be in!

But it's not really Turner's fault if the sausage factory is determined to try and turn transport cafe banger into Michelin starred success. She'll have a bigger trust fund to fall back on now, albeit at the cost of her mental health. Still, it's a superhero film, nobody except IMDb will remember it in five years, and she'll still be young. Nice position to still be in!

Soldato
It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I did expect it to be really bad. :)

I'd put it above Captain Marvel. The storys for both are pretty weak, boring and quite similar, but Dark Phoenix has a few reasonable action sequences.

As for Jean Grey, sprogg Jean with better than Sophie, but Sophie wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but her accent sucks. :D
It would have been better if raven wasn't in it.

Associate
No wonder this film flopped who's idea was it to cast Sophie turner she's a terrible actress her American accent is painful to my ears it's nearly as bad as Kit Harrington's American accent when he did Silent Hill.

Associate
As a lot of other's have said, it's not as bad as the critics are making it out to be. I reckon it's a 5 or 6 out of 10 movie, but in a time almost saturated by superhero movies, it's not one of the stronger ones.

Soldato
It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I did expect it to be really bad. :)

I'd put it above Captain Marvel. The storys for both are pretty weak, boring and quite similar, but Dark Phoenix has a few reasonable action sequences.

As for Jean Grey, sprogg Jean with better than Sophie, but Sophie wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but her accent sucks. :D
It would have been better if raven wasn't in it.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too!

Although, why have Quicksilver in it at all if he's gonna sprain his ankle after 8.3 seconds???

Associate
As a lot of other's have said, it's not as bad as the critics are making it out to be. I reckon it's a 5 or 6 out of 10 movie, but in a time almost saturated by superhero movies, it's not one of the stronger ones.
Too many superhero movies nowadays I remember when they used to be rare now we get 9 or 10 a year its too much I can't blame Disney though its a massive cash cow to keep churning them out.

Soldato
Too many superhero movies nowadays I remember when they used to be rare now we get 9 or 10 a year its too much I can't blame Disney though its a massive cash cow to keep churning them out.

While it does feel like that, DisMarvel have never released more than 3 in a single year and DC generally lucky to churn out more than 1, Fox a quite sparse with their releases and Sony only really have Spiderman. You could be pedantic and include the animated stuff that also comes out but generally, you don't see more than about 6 big screen comic book releases in a single year...and that's a busy release year. You could also include the more less obvious comic book adapations like Alita, Valerian, Atomic Blonde, Kingsman and the like if you really wanted to nail it down :D

I agree though in sentiment, even as an avid comic reader myself, I have a sense of general superhero movie fatigue.

Associate
This year alone there has been a good amount of "nerd/geek" culture film releases.
Alita battle angel
Captain Marvel
Shazam
Hellboy
Avengers end game
Godzilla KOTM
Dark Phoenix
Spiderman Far from home
Joker
Star Wars

Back
Top Bottom