Can't believe that my yamaha DAB tuner cost like £350 when new

Soldato
I bought it for about £50 and to me its nothing special... Its a am/fm/dab tuner, its not even dab+ and lacks in bass. When it was new in 2008-2009 it costed stupid money,, I dont get it, £350 - 400 for a simple DAB tuner

dhy0ajs.jpg

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
That AV rack looks like an image from 15 years ago, gotta be able to play those DVD and VHS titles hey :p

Soldato
OP
That AV rack looks like an image from 15 years ago, gotta be able to play those DVD and VHS titles hey :p

Yeah cannot bin my good old vhs/dvd player even though I hardly use the vhs part anymore, I have even bought a faulty vhs/dvd player to swap over the dvd parts as the dvd player dont work anymore. So when I have the dvd working again, I'll get rid of the black dvd plyer and it will look better and less cluttered

Cos DAB was less common back then. Kinda like most technology dude :D

Yeah your right there and also your paying for the brand, but its still a tad steep for a bog standard dab tuner.

Isn't dab something like 96kps?

I have seen stations outputing in 128kbs, they can output much higher, but it uses more airways up, or what ever it called.

Soldato
I have a Videologic DRX601ES somewhere in the loft...I can't remember how much it cost and I don't want to look it up to find out :p

Must have got it in 2002ish. The DAB signal sucked back then, I could only get a clear signal on a good day. Sounded good for the day though...

Soldato
OP
Check the techmoan review low bitrate and they want to push more channels.
You dont get the interfearence with DAB stations but if you compare DAB vs FM, FM is better in sound quality, because a high number of stations is more appealing to people then decent sound quality... Same goes with TV channels.

I have a Videologic DRX601ES somewhere in the loft...I can't remember how much it cost and I don't want to look it up to find out :p

Must have got it in 2002ish. The DAB signal sucked back then, I could only get a clear signal on a good day. Sounded good for the day though...

The signal quality was bad for me aswel,, when DAB first came out.

Soldato
OP
I am thinking of running my music thats on my pc through the tuner with a fm transmitter. But most fm transmitters are mainly for cars and look rubbish quality, so have you guys got any recommendations for a decent fm transmitter?

Soldato
.. just get a chromecast audio <£30 and kill 3 birds with one stone ... access to fm channels 320kb/s aac, similarly dab channels over IP, and your local music,
plus plethora of internet stations eg paradise. having much more diverse, high bit rate music ... yes - need to turn pc on.

Caporegime
I bought it for about £50 and to me its nothing special... Its a am/fm/dab tuner, its not even dab+ and lacks in bass. When it was new in 2008-2009 it costed stupid money,, I dont get it, £350 - 400 for a simple DAB tuner

dhy0ajs.jpg

There is a guy on here that spent £50K on 2 tv's

No doubt in 10 years time you could ask the same thing. Why did both those tv's cost £25K a piece?

Didn't cd players and mini disc cost a fortune when released also?

Associate
I bought a Technics dab tuner when they were a novelty,must be 25 years ago.RRP was £500 but I paid £300 in a promotion because they just weren't selling.
A few years ago I sold it on ebay for £430 !!!

Back
Top Bottom