Over 75s now pay for TV license

Caporegime
Not sure you understand what Council Tax is for.....the Government don't get any money from it.

Just get rid of tv licensing and let the councils collect it and hand it over to bbc directly. They can take 1% service charge for doing so.

Will get rid of the middle man.

Will stop people from not paying.

Just add £5 a month onto everyone's council tax. So everyone wins.

I dont care if tv licensing, govt and councils aren't linked. You can still get rid of one and get another to deal with it as they do now and hand the cash over.

Soldato
Then they can either do adverts or get the money from the government. the government can just add it into council tax.
Some other countries add a surcharge in your electricity.

At the moment just have one 75 year old in a house makes it free. If it was, having "no one in the house under 75 then it's free" that wouldn't be so bad.

After this a third of pensioner household will still get it free.

Soldato
It is fair in my opinion, speaking as someone it will affect in eight years if I am still here :p.

Only if you get pension credit. If you don't then you'll have to pay.

The headline is misleading as they are actually scrapping the blanket free over 75's tv license, so reducing the amount of people eligable.

Caporegime
Just get rid of tv licensing and let the councils collect it and hand it over to bbc directly. They can take 1% service charge for doing so.

Will get rid of the middle man.

Will stop people from not paying.

Just add £5 a month onto everyone's council tax. So everyone wins.

I dont care if tv licensing, govt and councils aren't linked. You can still get rid of one and get another to deal with it as they do now and hand the cash over.

I don't want to pay for a politically motivated propaganda laden broadcaster.

Soldato
I watch nowt on terrestrial, but I have to pay just cos I have equipment that can receive a broadcast, that's the bit that annoys me.

You might want to check this as I read it was only at the point of streaming live tv you needed the license. If you didnt actually use it (prob hard to prove) you didnt....

Caporegime
This is not true. You only have to pay if you actually watch it. You should cancel your TV License.

nowtv is live broadcast.

you need a tv license to watch any live tv, record live tv to watch later too. you also need a tv license to use iplayer.

so he's watching live tv through streaming still counts as live tv. a 5 second delay doesn't matter either. it still counts as live.

Soldato
Only if you get pension credit. If you don't then you'll have to pay.

The headline is misleading as they are actually scrapping the blanket free over 75's tv license, so reducing the amount of people eligable.

I meant that I thought it fair in light of the increasing number of people that would be eligible, to do something to restrict this allowance. Not being in receipt of pension credit nor ever likely to be I will have to continue payment to recieve terrestrial TV. This I do not have a problem with and it is right that the money given as a right solely on the age of the recipient is redirected towards output of the station.

I hope that I have been clearer.

Commissario
Did'nt the government pull 100's of millions from the pot a while back which was ment to cover this ?
Yup

The government has been paying it as it was part of their policy, then Osborne decided (without public consultation) it should be paid for out of the BBC's funding, at the same time he IIRC started putting other funding requirements onto the BBC, this was after several years of a freeze on the TVL (so effectively a 10%+ cut in funding).
Between the various changes the BBC would have lost about 30% of it's funding, with the biggest chunk coming from the free licences, all from memory done without the government doing a public consultation.

Associate
Maybe its only 75+ aged people watching the bbc these days and they were missing out on the revenue :)

Its about time they scrapped the TVL, the bbc seems like a relic of the past these days when everything good is online, i cannot remember the last time i watched anything on the BBC as there is really nothing on there that is any good any more.

The young people will be watching shows on netflix, hulu, etc these days, i would be curious to see how many people watch live TV at all these days and what ages that were still watching live TV.
I also think that as stuff like youtube is more entertaining these days, just so much more content that pretty much has something for everyone, i don't see how the bbc can compete with that.

I remember before the bbc was trying to scam people into letting them tax your broadband instead as they must have seen the writing on the wall for them back then, i think people don't feel they are getting much value out of the TVL these days.

I feel like the bbc should just be like netflix and be a monthly fee and if they produce content people like they can pay for it.

When you also see the decline in the music and movie industry with gaming moving ahead of them people want different content than we did in the past, the world is always changing and you need to keep up with the changes or be rendered obsolete.

Soldato
The BBC's consultation was announced in November last year. Nearly half of respondents (48%) said they were in favour of continuing concessions to over-75s

So, if the BBC's Brexit coverage is anything to go by then why are they scrapping concessions?

Back
Top Bottom