• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Next 12 months for Radeon fans?

Soldato
So what's everyone's thoughts? I'm trying to come up with a sensible, cost effective (I know, crazy idea :) ) upgrade path.

Currently using a placeholder 5830, just for browsing! I'd like to be in the 2080 territory for decent 1440p performance, seems to be the quality/performance sweet spot for me. Radeon VII is just a little too expensive and Navi looks like it will not quite have the grunt. If I have to I'll buy something to keep me going with hopefully decent resale value then upgrade to high performance Radeon once something is out.

How long is everyone thinking it will be before AMD hit that 2080 performance level? Q4 2019 or perhaps not until, Q2 2020?

I've had a GTX 1070, which was a nice quiet, cool card but I just prefer the output of AMD cards and would rather give them my money, for now.

Associate
Sounds like your looking for 2080 performance with mid tier prices?

Doubt that will happen until the next generation of navi. We don't really have much info other than vague presentation slides from amd so I would not expect much until late 2020 at the earliest.

Maybe cheap v56 or v64 until then which wont lose too much?

Or wait till navi drops it may not be too far off 2080 anyway (10/15%)

Soldato
OP
Sounds like your looking for 2080 performance with mid tier prices?

Doubt that will happen until the next generation of navi. We don't really have much info other than vague presentation slides from amd so I would not expect much until late 2020 at the earliest.

Maybe cheap v56 or v64 until then which wont lose too much?

Or wait till navi drops it may not be too far off 2080 anyway (10/15%)

To be fair I and many others think the 2XXX cards are overpriced. If AMD had a solid competitor on all fronts with Nvidia I'd pay a comparable price but they're still lagging behind for now.

I'm expecting Navi to only be 2070 speeds and really I'm after 1080Ti performance to be a decent upgrade from the 1070 I sold. If I have to wait so be it. The money is there, AMD just need to provide the performance.

Caporegime
Imagine spending all that money for 'nothing', why even bother getting a 2nd hand 2080 when the super wont be much more, big oof.

Soldato
The chip they showed lately was around 2070 performance. The big question is was that the top part of the 180w tdp lower performing part. If it was the 180w chip then the top chip imo could be close to the 2080. Nvidia seem to be releasing super edition chips. Is this because they feel they need to due to Navi or just to increase sale. I am hoping it's because Navi put the pressure on. If anyone outside of AMD knows Navi's performance you can bet it's Nvidia. The rumoured price drops and extra performance make me think Navi is decent. We shall see in time but with a Vega 64 i doubt i will be buying until the full next gen next year. Also if the rumoured amount of shaders is 2560 then AMD have taken a good step with Navi as thats pretty much 580/590 level with way better performance.

Soldato
With MS's E3 announcement of games like Gears of War 5, Halo Infinite & CyberPunk (both rumored to use DXR on console) also offered on PC. With Gears 5 using the more advance version of Unreal Engine already using DXR. I would assume that getting Navi this year or the higher end ones next year are a safe bet.

Let me clear that up abit. Ray Tracing is coming to next gen consoles. These won't be ported games with DXR added to them. It will have DXR in it already when ported to PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
With MS's E3 announcement of games like Gears of War 5, Halo Infinite & CyberPunk (both rumored to use DXR on console) also offered on PC. With Gears 5 using the more advance version of Unreal Engine already using DXR. I would assume that getting Navi this year or the higher end ones next year are a safe bet.

Let me clear that up abit. Ray Tracing is coming to next gen consoles. These won't be ported games with DXR added to them. It will have DXR in it already when ported to PC.

Where is this DXR rumour? I want to read it myself.

Sony said the PS5 uses Hardware Ray Tracing for calculating positional surround audio.

has anyone actually said next gen consoles use ray tracing for GRAPHICS (GI, Shadows, Reflections)

Because this difference is massive - not many people realise that Ray Tracing can be used for many things and just saying "this machine does RT" does not mean it's the type of Ray Tracing you were hoping for..

Soldato

Sony said the PS5 uses Hardware Ray Tracing for calculating positional surround audio.

has anyone actually said next gen consoles use ray tracing for GRAPHICS (GI, Shadows, Reflections)

Because this difference is massive - not many people realise that Ray Tracing can be used for many things and just saying "this machine does RT" does not mean it's the type of Ray Tracing you were hoping for..

That technology exist on Radeon cards since Polaris :D (if not Hawaii).

MS on their video said graphics hardware accelerated ray tracing.

Soldato
Personally for me there is no other option than AMD for no other reason other than the superior driver interface, and the usefulness to tweak the settings per game basis on drivers when needed. Including overclocking and FPS cap. Nvidia for all their performance, their drivers are crap where we cannot even do simple things like set maximum fps cap. And no using RTSS doesn't work with all games.

And that from experience with my GTX1080/1080Ti and the GTX 1060 on the laptop where cannot make Gsync to work, because cannot cap the fps without using vsync. Which adds input lag.
AMD has simple option to cap the FPS and is enforced on driver level.

Soldato
^

My Rog laptop's G-Sync works fine with or without Nvidia's Whisper mode.

NV laptops have had Whisper Mode for about a year now, whisper mode=user defined fps cap.

Their driver features arguably lacking by comparison with AMD but are far from crap imo, if they were, I'd be vocal about it.

Like Turing?

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/misc_hardware/amd_confirms_that_they_power_xbox_project_scarlett/1

Reads like the same as Turing, maybe MS will spend a small fortune porting a fully RT QII to console and it'll still look pish.

OcUK Staff
Hmm if that reduces the Radeon VII price a little and Navi is not faster than the R7 then I might go that route.

R7 is king from AMD, that won't change and they are no longer in production so I doubt any price cuts either as there is not much inventory left, plus its a professional card which AMD already lose money on, so I really can't see them discounting and just bleeding more money.

Associate
R7 is king from AMD, that won't change and they are no longer in production so I doubt any price cuts either as there is not much inventory left, plus its a professional card which AMD already lose money on, so I really can't see them discounting and just bleeding more money.

No longer in production you say? So EOL not with this Navi but by the 2020 one?

OcUK Staff
No longer in production you say? So EOL not with this Navi but by the 2020 one?

R7 was a limited run from the start, hence a production run and then it ceased months ago. Leaving just inventories to clear up and most board partners have no inventory left, I believe Sapphire have zero, Powercolor have zero, only partner I know with stock is Asrock as they now want more money due to this card being seeked more by professionals and miners rather than gamers.

Hence I cannot see a reduction on an EOL part, that AMD have zero GPU inventory on, so there is no new inventory, unless we took from Asrock as our landed costed is now considerably higher due to our current stock being owned at a 1.32 rate and any fresh stock will land at a 1.26 rate.

Soldato
OP

Fair enough. I suspected it may be limited in numbers, which put me off a little should a warranty replacement be necessary down the line.

Back
Top Bottom