• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Me? I'm not made of money but have an LG c7. Yes it only has HDMI 2.0 but this happily supports 40K 60fps (and just about supports 8K 24/30) HDMI 2.1 offers no value to me as currently.

4K is just about becoming mainstream now with some cheaper sets costing around £300 so 4K 60fps should be the golden standard for the next few years - if not the life cycle of the new console(s) as rumoured to be 2 different boxes a lite product and a more premium/ultimate version.

Looking at the RTings page while the C7 is a native 120hz panel it only supports 4k at upto 60hz and 4:4:4, it doesnt support 120hz 4k, (it is however a very good TV for the money and one of the ones i considered but I was worried about OLED burn in have you had any issues with that?)
Its very rare in current TVs to have support for 4k120hz and even VRR is pretty rare.

Now by the time Scarlet is out then it maybe more common but its still early adopter and enthusiasts only. However 4k60hz TV should be as you say the standard.

Soldato
2.1 HDMI TV’s will be in full swing by the time the next generation comes out, but they will make up a tiny percentage of the overall customer base.

Still, features such as VRR on consoles will be a fantastic step.

Soldato
I think getting older is definitely lessening the excitement of new console launches.
I'm with you on that - I stopped caring about console hardware shortly after the N64 came out.

For me now it's more about the games, the experience and ease of use.

Soldato
I would strongly disagree with you but the ray tracing might put a spanner in the works and cause resolution/fps to be reduced.

I'm guessing we're only getting 16GB memory and they'll use the SSD as virtual RAM if extra is needed. That saves a few quid on the Bill of Materials.

Well depending on how you look at it.

SSD storage is way more expensive than RAM (in general - admittedly with GDDR6 this could be reversed)

2TB SSD's are pretty pricey - retail you are talking £150-200 each, so internal to MS even in bulk it will be way north of £100, even if they don't need to have them delivered until this time next year its still going to be pretty pricey

1TB will surely be too small (with the OS partition, VRAM partition and game partition, it surely has to be over 1TB?)

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD has done something slightly different for both consoles - so there is different "secret sauce" in both devices that was pre-agreed.

HDMI 2.1 will suddenly start appearing on all the new TVs from the next cycle to harness the demand from these new consoles. It’ll hardly be mainstream though due to the £££. I’ll see what the reality of 120fps is first though. Very doubtful that it’ll be doable without scaling the Gfx right down.

My hope for these new machines is an eradication of pop-in in Gfx. Biggest criticism of the current gen in terms of losing immersion.

Probably one of those things where there will be chipset support from day 1 but HDMI sockets will only be 2.0 until its required - why have a headache they don't need for 90% of users if its not required, even if it will be in 2-3 years time.

Soldato
don't think Sony can afford to give MS any lea way on release date this gen - think they will need to be "holiday 2020" as well (if not before)

Associate
Looking at the RTings page while the C7 is a native 120hz panel it only supports 4k at upto 60hz and 4:4:4, it doesnt support 120hz 4k, (it is however a very good TV for the money and one of the ones i considered but I was worried about OLED burn in have you had any issues with that?)
Its very rare in current TVs to have support for 4k120hz and even VRR is pretty rare.

Now by the time Scarlet is out then it maybe more common but its still early adopter and enthusiasts only. However 4k60hz TV should be as you say the standard.

That's correct - think the 120hz support is 1080p only iirc as its only HDMI 2.0 chip on the c7.

I am more than happy with 4K 60fps at 4:4:4 though.

I can safely say the c7 is the best TV I've ever bought and can't for the life of me see how or why Samsung can justify selling QLED/FALD at £3,000 when the c7 cost me £1800 2 years ago and is by far and above the superior tech. I have had zero issues with image retention. Had the briefing streaming on Twitch on last night for the entirety and the #XboxE3 symbol left no shadow when changing back to live TV. I do, do a manual pixel refresh every week from inside the settings however, I understand the TV does it itself as and when it thinks it needs to. Pixel Shift is always left on.

2019 LG OLED's support 4K120hz through HDMI2.1 but the screens themselves fundamentally remain the same so the only difference is simply the HDMI chip for the c7 vs what is out today.

Shawrey

Soldato
I have the B8 which was a bit more expensive but would concur, they are very good sets - but just because in certain circumstances / usages OLED is the better technology doesn't mean LCD doesn't have its good points too. Don't get me wrong Samsung's prices are out there for sure but new tech is always way more expensive for the first few years (and I know LCD has been around for decades but there is obviously something fundamentally different about this type of LCD)

Associate
I have the B8 which was a bit more expensive but would concur, they are very good sets - but just because in certain circumstances / usages OLED is the better technology doesn't mean LCD doesn't have its good points too. Don't get me wrong Samsung's prices are out there for sure but new tech is always way more expensive for the first few years (and I know LCD has been around for decades but there is obviously something fundamentally different about this type of LCD)

It's the FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) which is why it is more expensive. FALD screens are different from the standard Edge lit sets that are plagued with backlight bleed. Quick link explaining it all -> https://dgit.com/oled-vs-lcd-vs-fald-51999/

All in all OLED is the superior tech and when it costs less than QLED/FALD you'd be mad to buy Samsung at the prices for inferior tech.

Shawrey

Soldato
Why do they need to do better? Halo to Xbox original fans is one of the best titles ever to be released on console. Following it up with a new game for a new console launch is absolutely amazing to those of us that support Xbox and love Halo. If it doesn't pull across PS players, so be it. I'm glad that for those of us that have always had an Xbox and favoured that over the PS, that we're getting something that is familiar but as a new story. That suits me perfectly.

And on the subject of winning, I don't care which console wins because it's just sales numbers. As far as I'm concerned, with things like cross-compatibility, backwards compatibility and Game Pass (along with the PC and ultimate), playing on the MS platform, the gamer is winning. Microsoft is taking care of their target market and we as gamers are the winners here. I don't see Sony doing that at all right now. Winning on amount of sales means nothing these days...

But Sony are the ones putting out decent exclusives. Far more than MS have this generation. They have some catching up to do.

Soldato
I'm curious if they've found a way to enable backwards compatibility for every single Xbox title that ever existed, without having to re-package them in an emulation wrapper as they do now for Xbone.

Same architecture, it'll run everything the XB1 runs. Still needs an abstraction layer to run 360 and OG Xbox games though, no way round that.

Soldato
But Sony are the ones putting out decent exclusives. A far more than MS have this generation. They have some catching up to do.

I'm sure that recently someone actually went through their recent exclusives, and most of them are obscure JRPGs that most people aren't interested in playing. When was the last true AAA exclusive for either studio that's been absolutely amazing and exceeded expectations? I don't think that there have been many recently. Forza Horizon 4 for the Xbox? Spider-Man on the PS4, but that was quite marmite for many. Days Gone, again, not the greatest of reviews for that one. I don't follow PS4 games though, so I can't really say. For me, the other parts outweigh the exclusives as I also have a PC, as well as backwards compatibility on my older 360 games, and now Game Pass too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure that recently someone actually went through their recent exclusives, and most of them are obscure JRPGs that most people aren't interested in playing. When was the last true AAA exclusive for either studio that's been absolutely amazing and exceeded expectations? I don't think that there have been many recently. Forza Horizon 4 for the Xbox? Spider-Man on the PS4, but that was quite marmite for many. Days Gone, again, not the greatest of reviews for that one. I don't follow PS4 games though, so I can't really say. For me, the other parts outweigh the exclusives as I also have a PC, as well as backwards compatibility on my older 360 games, and now Game Pass too.
You think Sony have more than doubled XB1 sales through obscure JRPGs that nobody is interested in playing? The Multiplatform games are mostly the same, so of course Sony is doing miles better due to exclusives.

Caporegime
OP
None of them really look like they know what they are doing or know what the gamers want. Looks like bunch of MBA graduates that gonna try to force feed their "innovation".

I might be wrong, but the vibe is there.

It's the same folks who did the Xbox One X and that's a lovely bit of kit by all accounts.

Caporegime
you won't get 4k60 even the 2080ti can't hit 60 on some games so a console is not going to do it you will probably get a solid 30fps and no upscaling.

PC doesn't have the same architecture it's still based on 1990's architecture really just with wider buses these days. Console games are also a lot better optimised.

I've said it before in the PS5 thread but having a Ryzen class CPU will be a huge boost to console performance next generation, the current CPU's are basically like Athlon 64 X2 but with 8 cores it's no wonder 30fps is so prevalent.

Back
Top Bottom