• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Caporegime
Every gen normally lets call it 150mm^2 die 230-300mm^2 die, 400-500mm^2 die, low, middle, high end. Then you get a new node, high end performance in the new node midrange card. That's what we have a ~255mm^2 core having the performance of a last gen what 469mm^2 core. That's what we expect, that is normal. When the economics and yields work out that we can get a 350-450mm^2 die, we'll have a leap in performance.

Now with Nvidia, rather than going 450-500mm^2 16nm die to a 450mm^2 7nm die, they went to a 800mm^2 12nm die. Shrink that to 7nm and you'll have a 450mm^2 die. This gen isn't normal in that sense in that due to the cost, difficulty of 7nm they went HUGE on 16/12nm.

If Nvidia stopped at 500-600mm^2 on 16nm, then the 2070 would be a much slower card than it is being probably a 350-400mm^2 die. Comparing it to a normal gen and normal shrink would be silly. If and when we got a ~800mm^2 card on 7nm it should be WAY faster than a 2080ti, but it will be a long time before that would be viable yield/cost wise and maybe not ever.

Associate
Hmm I'm suspecting the pricing is to make sure these cards don't interfere with the current inventory, mean I'm sure there are a lot of RX500 series cards on the shelves and AMD have pretty much manage to sell off the vega chips, perhaps at a loss but not a write off.

From the leaks we know there are lower tier cards and seems like AMD will hold off on these and the pricings, we know there is another model up from these chips coming, AMD haven't really classed their true high end chips with x700, usually thats x800 or x900 series.

Soldato
It's been coming together for a long time then, given the current consoles are 6 years old and AMD.
Just hyperbole to me.

I'd rather buy a next generation Xbox than spend on a 5700XT.

AMD inside sure but not the same architecture. Now with Navi and Zen its all coming together. And the features I talk about will be coming to the Radeon Software with Navi so its not waiting on Devs and its not like AMD doesn't have devs is it? LOL all the big players are joining them and even the ones who are not still building games for Navi and Zen

This is a massive time for AMD! They literally building a wall around Nvidia at this point.

Caporegime
I thought he meant the 16 core 3950X? For $749...

Exactly, there is no other chip out that comes close, it's less than double the price of a 3800x, yet has double the cores. It's actually pretty good value by comparison but the 12 core almost seems the best value chip they'll be selling in terms of price per core. But the top chip available having a premium is expected and both having higher boost clocks, being 16 core and Intel maybe only offering a 10 core competitor by the time it launches, a premium price isn't unexpected at all.

Back
Top Bottom