• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
Lol. Great reply.

EDIT: I mentioned that I was gonna say sod it to bargain basement cards... and get Navi if it was any good. Thanks to the pricing stupidity, I'm now reconsidering a cheapy 570/80 till tide me over till this plays out. Not what I wanted but these companies need to get their **** together. I'm not gonna be gouged with 2016 perf/price.

Soldato
Lol. Great reply.

EDIT: I mentioned that I was gonna say sod it to bargain basement cards... and get Navi if it was any good. Thanks to the pricing stupidity, I'm now reconsidering a cheapy 570/80 till tide me over till this plays out. Not what I wanted but these companies need to get their **** together. I'm not gonna be gouged with 2016 perf/price.

But it could have been worse. Imagine if Turing had the same die sizes but no raytracing and tensor cores,and Nvidia added more shaders??

Nvidia would have had a bigger jump in rasterised performance. AMD can't even compete with Nvidia holding back in rasterised performance.

Some of the sub £250 Vega 56 deals look a bargain compared to Navi and the RX570 too.

Nvidia thought they need new SUPER cards. This is reminds me of Nvidia pre-empting the Fiji launch with the GTX980TI then finding it out Fiji was slower.

I would laugh so much if Nvidia replaces the RTX2070 with a faster RTX2070 SUPER for the same price.

Soldato
As I said months ago, it was very unlikely they were going to beat discounted Vegas on price/performance, and it would be features which would have to be the differentiating factor. Sadly, AMD completely flopped today. Their FidelityFX non-sense is just Reshade, which is free & available on everything. The anti-lag is probably ******** just reducing frame rendered from 3 to 1, but I'll reserve judgement for now; either way still not a big deal for me. Most importantly, they entirely failed to capitalise on being the first to market with HDMI 2.1 which is to me the biggest shame of them all. Adaptive shading would also have been a good win. Plus, they're locking down their bios & powerplay even further just like Nvidia. As it stands, there is almost no reason at all to buy an AMD GPU anymore.

If CP2077 does indeed have RT, and Nvidia launches their 2080 Super as expected, it looks like I'll have to jump to the dark side for the first time in over a decade. #RIPAMD

Soldato
Well I've no idea what to buy now. I'd really rather not buy Nvidia but there's not much of a sensible option. I need something but I don't want to go below what I had (GTX 1070) but I also don't want to pay silly money for very little extra performance. Neither do I want to buy into old tech.

Just need to hope for a price war.

Soldato
All the normal gamers will look at this and realise that the Nvidia cards have RTX,which this does not have as a selling point. Once some big game like Cyberpunk 2077,etc has it will people be buying a £400 to £450 RX5700XT for it or a similarly priced RTX2070 or RTX2070 SUPER? AMD have learnt nothing about how PhysX,etc helped sell Nvidia cards,and at least in the past they undercut Nvidia. They have only made Nvidia look better with this release just like Vega did.

At this point,I think RTG is a lame duck. All hype,and all mediocrity.

PhysiX was different at it didn't killed performance to such a degree RTX does. Let's say your target FPS is 60fps at a random resolution, if with RTX the card doesn't offer that, you'll switch it off anyway ... or you put up with the lower FPS. 30-40fps nVIDIA RTX vs. 60fps Radeon/RTX off...

I know, you do have a choice, but is not a great one.

Caporegime
Well die to die latency is far less important for GPUs, so it's possible.

What, complete opposite. That is is why no one has done a chilled design for GPUs.

And going by the patents and publications, Nvidia will be first to marker with a chipket GPU, initially aimed at HPC and DL

Soldato
As I said months ago, it was very unlikely they were going to beat discounted Vegas on price/performance, and it would be features which would have to be the differentiating factor. Sadly, AMD completely flopped today. Their FidelityFX non-sense is just Reshade, which is free & available on everything. The anti-lag is probably ******** just reducing frame rendered from 3 to 1, but I'll reserve judgement for now; either way still not a big deal for me. Most importantly, they entirely failed to capitalise on being the first to market with HDMI 2.1 which is to me the biggest shame of them all. Adaptive shading would also have been a good win. Plus, they're locking down their bios & powerplay even further just like Nvidia. As it stands, there is almost no reason at all to buy an AMD GPU anymore.

If CP2077 does indeed have RT, and Nvidia launches their 2080 Super as expected, it looks like I'll have to jump to the dark side for the first time in over a decade. #RIPAMD

Oh geez have mercy on our souls if it’s true

Cyberpunk already has system killer written all over it - the graphics are next gen and it’s the only real next gen title we’ve seen - CDProjekt Red is dragging the whole industry with it into the next gen.

I personally wouldn’t buy a graphics card today for Cyberpunk just because I wouldn’t want to be dissipointed by the experience I get.

Not sure about Navi but Nvidias 7nm card’s should be out around the same time as Cyberpunk releases so I’d wait if that’s the main game you want unless you’re happy to upgrade again next year if push cones to shove.

Here is a funny example.

Halo Infinity is The next gen Xbox launch title coming in 2020. Must look sweet right? Nope, the video they showed off looked significantly worse than actual Cyberpunk gameplay and this is what I mean by Cyberpunk being System killer

Soldato
Someone enlighten me with knowledge, aren't GPU prices now effected by Trumps trade war with China? USA pricing shown, maybe they will be cheaper outside the USA?

Soldato
Lol I doubt it - they will argue that it’s the world wide launch price

Even if it’s artificially higher to cover taxes - they’ll happily eat the margins outside the us

Not saying that is the case but it would be funny

Associate
Why can't AMD compete with Nvidia in the GPU's the way they're holding their own vs Intel ?

I want to see AMD bring out a RTX2080 competitor and then maybe we can start seeing sensible GPU prices again

They're competing against the two biggest companies in both segments with what I imagine, a tiny budget in comparison.

Soldato
Makes Vega 56 at sub 300 look like a bargain, especially when it's on par with 64/2060 after uv. Glad I didn't wait and got mine in February for £280 with the 3 games.

Would like something at 2080+ performance for £400 or so, guess I'll be waiting for next year.
AMD has proven in both the CPU and GPU space that they're not interested in being the "budget choice" any more. They want a slice of the insane profits of Intel and nVidia and are happy to play in the current market to do so, rather than shake things up.

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse for £300, £280, or even I think £250 at one point, were the biggest 1440p bargains for years IMO and won't be topped for at least another generation.

One thing that is always hard to compare though is pre-launch pricing. The RTX 2060 launched at $349, which'd be £330 inc VAT right now, but there are some available for less than that. The RX 5700 is supposedly launching at ~£359 inc VAT and is probably going to end up about the same performance-wise on average. A very, very odd decision.

Last edited:
Soldato
Woke up to what I thought, Vega 56 was a bargain and still relevant which I'm happy about as no reason to upgrade it, would have done if the price/perf was there but that isn't the case so I'll carry on with the bargain 56

I'm getting between 70 and 80 FPS at 1440p high settings with one or two on medium in Hunt Showdown which is an amazing looking game so I can bide my time until next year

Caporegime
I personally wouldn’t buy a graphics card today for Cyberpunk just because I wouldn’t want to be dissipointed by the experience I get.

What's the betting that 7nm RTX nVidia cards will be out by end of April 2020 ;)

The next Ti will probably run it ok on max settings 1440p, or close enough.

Soldato
Well, I can't believe I waited all this time on Navi. I'll be buying Nvidia again for sure now, probably a 2080S.
What a major anticlimactic conclusion from AMD with that pricing.
I really don't understand why they didn't just say "look, these CPUs cost the same as the RTX 2060 and 2070 but they are 10% faster". That would've been fine, if a little disappointing. But to actually go for higher price points?? Add to that the fact that we all know that the average FPS difference vs competition will be lower than what they've stated (because they're going to cherry pick to some degree), and it just makes you scratch your head.

Back
Top Bottom