Samsung A70 6.7" 4500 no curved screen ~£400

I've got small hands and like it to fit in pockets ok.

The A70 still fits ok for me in a back jean pocket or in a front shirt pocket. If I'm on a roller coaster, I put it in my camera bag and attach it to myself. Not been to Alton Towers yet this year but have tested it and it still fits.

If you're talking front trouser pockets, then I think the only phone I had that fitted in a front pocket was the Nokia 6600 15 years ago. I think some of the original iPhones would fit too as they were only 3.5" where the Samsung Galaxy SII in the same era felt pretty massive in a front pocket (like a big bunch of keys).

Associate
Thanks for the info. I'm deciding between the A70, S10e or Oneplus 7. Small battery putting me off the S10e and the 7pro ghosting issues making me cautious bout oneplus quality.

Soldato
You could get another £100 back trading in any android phone or £150 back for an old iPhone like I did.

Brought it down to £159.

You got a £60 cashback and £100 trade-in ? How did you do that ?

EDIT: Ah I see, Samsung UK website. £100 trade-in applied at checkout. Got my money back on my old 1st Gen Moto G !! (which at 4-5 yrs old I think is still in perfect working order, having only been lightly used)

Last edited:
Caporegime
You got a £60 cashback and £100 trade-in ? How did you do that ?

EDIT: Ah I see, Samsung UK website. £100 trade-in applied at checkout. Got my money back on my old 1st Gen Moto G !! (which at 4-5 yrs old I think is still in perfect working order, having only been lightly used)

Glad you got it sorted.

Soldato
Yep, I placed the order, so when I get the invoice I then claim the cashback ! Seems like a bit of a loophole, double-dipping, but I guess they are different promotions. I wonder what they do with the trade-in phones ?

Soldato
I have a black A70 coming in a few days as my s8 is just about fried, now. The specs are impressive for the price. Lack of wireless charging worries me as the port is one of the things that failed on my s8 but we will see. Looking forward to the battery life and enormous screen :)

Caporegime
I dont find the battery all that amazing. I actually think my Pocophone F1 was better and that had a smaller battery, albeit still 4000 mAH. Probably the more efficient chipset. It easily lasts a day on the A70, around 6-7hrs screen on.

You will probably hate the fingerprint reader though, it's really bad.

Screen is mighty impressive though.

Soldato
Mine arrives today.

Yes I've seen the bad press on the fingerprint reader, I hope it is tolerable. It is not just getting in to the phone, several apps use it as well, e.g. National Lottery.

My Honor 9 Lite is fantastic but I wanted something bigger. The A70 will only be my second daily Android phone so I've never had to move anything before. How does this work ? Log on with my Google ID, will it re-install all the apps, bring across text messages and call history etc ? And will the 2 x phones run side by side with the same Google account for a few days while I get everything set up ?

Soldato
It's ok, the finger print reader was pony on my S8 anyway; awkward position and too small for my fat fingers lol. Quicker to unlock with a pin. Battery life will be an improvement too. Well, anything would now as my s8 bit the bullet this morning. Whoops.

Soldato
Starting to wish maybe I hadn't bought this now... on the Honor 9 Lite the fingerprint reader on the back is instant, and I seems to be the perfectly natural thing to do to when you pick up the phone, your hand is on the back of it anyway. Oh well, will see how it goes. As with anything new, requires adjustment.

Caporegime
Starting to wish maybe I hadn't bought this now... on the Honor 9 Lite the fingerprint reader on the back is instant, and I seems to be the perfectly natural thing to do to when you pick up the phone, your hand is on the back of it anyway. Oh well, will see how it goes. As with anything new, requires adjustment.

There was a software update that did help slightly. Make sure you check for that.

I've got a screen protector on, seen some reports this can be an issue but it was pretty bad before I put it on and no worse after.

I've registered multiple scans of my thumb and that did help a little.

I would be a lot happier with a rear mounted reader though. It was never really a problem that needed fixing.

Soldato
No problems with the fingerprint unlock. Is very fast and so far gets it first time. That software update must have improved it a lot. Not quite as instant as the rear scanner on the Honor, but perfectly acceptable.

Soldato
In general I think a rear fingerprint reader is more intuitive, but it is personal taste I think. But I have no complaints at all about the fingerprint reader on the A70. it takes a while during the recognition phase to get your prints set up, but after that it works very well indeed.

The bigger phone is of course vastly harder to use one-handed, probably impossible most of the time. In that respect the Honor 9 Lite is probably the perfect compromise. But I simply like the larger phone for consuming content.

Back
Top Bottom