• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i5 4670K not overclocking properly

Associate
Hey guys

I have a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H and a i5 4670K.

My CPU wants way too many volts before it can go stable. I currently have Auto OC from the BIOS, having just changed the CPU multiplier to 45x (4.5GHz) it draws 1.404V on idle with around 55C.

This is really high, esp for my Alpenfohn K2 Mount Doom.

Any ideas on how I can get my voltage lowered? Manually even 1.35V isn't enough for 45x. Do I have a bad chip?

I am gonna delid it and go liquid metal soon

G J

G J

Associate
The 4670k I used to own used to require silly volts to be stable @ 4.5 but no issue @ 4.4 which is where I decieded to keep it. I can't remember what setting to use but I remember the Auto OC function on my system used to push silly volts as you describe and it was much better to set it up manually.

Associate
Autovolt goes mad, did the same on my old 3570k. Do it manually :)

It'll need more tweaking but likely much better results. The internet can guide your way.

Associate
Could be. Try tweaking the vdroop settings, rein in any memory overclock. Old chips degrade over time, faster when more power shoved through. If it's been on autovolt all it's life that's probably had an impact too.

Man of Honour
My old 4670k needed 1.285v vcore for 4.4Ghz (core and cache) but it wouldn't even boot at that unless I manually set cpu input voltage to 1.90v. Have a play with CPU input Voltage (can't remember what it's called on Gigabyte boards) to see if you can then lower the vcore. Have a play with LLC as well. Mine needed LLC level 7 to remain stable.

If you haven't got the latest motherboard bios it's worthwhile updating because the last couple have been for improved overclocking capability and Enhanced Intel K SKU performance. The latest version is F10b and you can get it here.

Back
Top Bottom