Holidays 2019

Caporegime
As an alternate view. My parents sold their flat in Spain quite easily when they moved into a Villa.

Tax laws can indeed be brutal but it's only on the capital gains (no rollover relief either) so providing it's not sold at a loss i don't see how they'll end up with a big hole in their pocket.

Although when my parents sell their villa/pass away i look forward to being bummed on IHT :(

That went well because they rebought another property in Spain within 3 years or the like.

Also if they make a decision in Spain they will send the letter to your Spanish address which you sold and update a website notice board which is your duty to check.

If you dont happen to check and several years pass which can easily happen by the time they track your uk address.

There is no right of appeal as time has passed. Even though all letters were sent to your old spanish address.

It's a very corrupt system against foreigners. It effects hundreds of people every year.

The lawyers there are corrupt too as the longer it goes on the more in it for them. You will be bled dry by them and the authorities.

It's much easier and cheaper to just book a hotel.

Caporegime
I thought cruises were just floating queues for people knocking on deaths door?

As in if your under 60 you likely won't enjoy it unless it's just a day or two.

Depends on the person, the brand, and the sailing.

I started at 30, 6 years later I have done 12 cruises and loved all of them. For me they are a mish-mash of the best things about all-inclusive resorts and the best things about more intensive travelling, minus the things about those that I dislike.

Not for everyone, but deffo for me.

Caporegime
They bought the villa before selling the apartment so were very separate transactions. Maybe they've just been lucky to have someone deal with it all for them who's been fairly efficient and it's a fluke though.

I would say they got lucky with their lawyer or it's the fact they didn't leave spain. It's when people sell up and bring the money back to the UK is when people seem to get issues. not when buying and selling over there.

No right of appeal either once time has passed which it can easily do by the time they track you down. Which is what makes it so terrible. Then the fact they won't speak to you in English either which is understandable but we in the UK offer all foreigners a translator at our own expense which isn't cheap and costs the taxpayer millions every month.

it's Portugal, Spain that are the main 2. France had a 10 year rule which they now extended to 30 iirc. so that is why they are bad too. as in you had to live there for 30 years before selling up to avoid the extra taxes. before it was only 10 years.

I'd happily buy in Germany, etc. Those 3 countries just seem to be the ones targeting foreigners with portugal and spain being the top 2 offenders. Whereas the UK gladly welcomes foreigners buying up homes.

Soldato
They are average at best, certainly not the worst, but many brands outperform them in almost all areas. But then without a point of reference I guess it doesn't matter :D

You are probably right, but I would gladly go with P&O or Carnival over some of the higher end ones that make you wear a suit for dinner.

have you been on the Pacific Aria? It's not exactly the dover > calais crossing boat:p

Caporegime
You are probably right, but I would gladly go with P&O or Carnival over some of the higher end ones that make you wear a suit for dinner.

have you been on the Pacific Aria? It's not exactly the dover > calais crossing boat:p

Oh I wouldn't go for any formal stuffy ones either, so the likes of Seabourne/Silversea are a hard pass for me.

My current list is:

Liberty of the Seas x2
Celebrity Reflection
Brilliance of the Seas
Independence of the Seas x2
Ovation of the Seas
Celebrity Eclipse x2
Vision of the Seas
Celebrity Silhouette
Celebrity Edge

Edge was amazing!

mhgH6it.jpg
vqnNnow.jpg
FpR8zom.jpg

Soldato
Sorry to ask this, but whats the best way to go for disneyland paris? I was thinking of flying rather than coach/car as it doesn't seem to be that much more expensive. I had a look on disneys website but it was 4 figures just for 4 days which seemed quite high.

Back
Top Bottom