• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Isn't anyone curious why they used a 2080 instead of a 2080 Ti?
Presumably because it looked better for them?

Personally, I couldn't give a toss what gaming performance is like with a card in that tier - given the whole "each generation we get better perf/price" model has gone out the window, I'll never own one!

Soldato
I'd say mostly unlikely. A 64 core TR would require 8 full 8-core chiplets capable of decent clocks (if the trend of Threadripper matching Ryzen's top clocker). The 3950X arguably already eats into 3800X inventory, 64c TR would do so even more.

I think 48 cores will be the limit for Threadripper this generation: it's an increase in core count over previous generation and seeing how well Zen 2 performs it will utterly crush anything Intel can bring to the table for years.

48 core would be fine for me if that turns out to be true. I certainly have my eye on the new TR release when more information is forthcoming.

Caporegime
You want ~10% more performance for ~35% less? Why would that make sense to a business trying to make money?

Because the RTX series has been out for about 9 months now. What is the point in releasing something with the same price/performance, but with less features (ie no ray tracing) 9 months late to the market....when your competitor is lining up a new range of cards as well.

I want progress. Not the same stuff being released for the same money, getting on for a year down the line.

Its stupid.

Soldato
48 core would be fine for me if that turns out to be true. I certainly have my eye on the new TR release when more information is forthcoming.
Well I'm not expecting anything Threadripper until January-ish simply because Threadripper traditionally follows desktop Ryzen by about 5-6 months and there's a hell of a lot of binning of chiplets to do (although I still maintain you can make a 32c/64t 4.6GHz boost TR out of junk chiplets).

That being said, a few people are insistent that TR is still coming in September as usual, although for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it...

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Pretty sure if they took to TDP up a noch, they could boost to 5ghz, they need to save something for next years 7nm+ though, I think thats when we will see all the faster Zen2's, they'll have a year to refine it.

Pretty much this.

I believe the leaks we saw beforehand, have essentially been split into Zen2 and Zen2+.

So the leaked chips we saw that were boosting to 5ghz (and the ones we havent seen yet) are probably for Zen2+ as they'll have a full year to refine them and get it working.

Soldato
Wow. How long did it take you to trawl through all that?almost creepy...

Alas yeah I was wrong. Don't care. Internet innit.

About 15 seconds, hardly creepy. You insisted you were 'speculating' the other day but those quotes pretty much show you were not, and were way off the mark.

Why bother posting if you end up posting junk if you don't care...

Soldato
About 15 seconds, hardly creepy. You insisted you were 'speculating' the other day but those quotes pretty much show you were not, and were way off the mark.

Why bother posting if you end up posting junk if you don't care...
Don't try and make it more than it is mate.

I didn't think 16 core would be released now.
It was. I was wrong.

End story.

Soldato
Well I'm not expecting anything Threadripper until January-ish simply because Threadripper traditionally follows desktop Ryzen by about 5-6 months and there's a hell of a lot of binning of chiplets to do (although I still maintain you can make a 32c/64t 4.6GHz boost TR out of junk chiplets).

That being said, a few people are insistent that TR is still coming in September as usual, although for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it...

X499 is this year, so I am going to rightly or wrongly assume that Threadripper 3xxx is also this year based on that information, so I'd say Q4 is a pretty solid bet at this point. The reason nothing concrete is out there for this is due to the way EPYC Rome is being rolled out, along with the new EPYC PCI-E 4.0 supporting motherboards. As X499 is analogous to the EPYC boards, you can pretty much guarantee that we'll see baked in support for higher core counts, but afaik 48c will be the new HEDT high-end, with the 24c and 32c taking the PPW crown.

Associate
Who is now waiting til September instead of buying now.
Was aiming for 3900X, nothing about 3950X is exciting enough to change my mind.

Will probably end up waiting for September anyway, for a good mATX X570 or B550 motherboard

Hugely impressed with gaming performance. And its not final, scheduler improvements will help for sure.

Soldato
Honestly am not buying, there is no need for me and I am unfortunately stuck in the laptop space but my god Im excited to see these in the hands of reviewers after last night.

AMD seems to have done extremely well, trading blows even in games people thought would be out of reach. Cant wait to see these run through thier paces.

Hopefully in a few years when the need to upgrade is upon me there will be some drastically improved choices, both laptop and desktop, due to AMDs renewed assault.

Last edited:
Soldato
X499 is this year, so I am going to rightly or wrongly assume that Threadripper 3xxx is also this year based on that information, so I'd say Q4 is a pretty solid bet at this point. The reason nothing concrete is out there for this is due to the way EPYC Rome is being rolled out, along with the new EPYC PCI-E 4.0 supporting motherboards. As X499 is analogous to the EPYC boards, you can pretty much guarantee that we'll see baked in support for higher core counts, but afaik 48c will be the new HEDT high-end, with the 24c and 32c taking the PPW crown.
Then roll on Q4! I want to see the utter devastation that is Zen 2 Threadripper. Salt the Intel earth that Ryzen burned to the ground :D

Soldato
I believe the leaks we saw beforehand, have essentially been split into Zen2 and Zen2+.
Except that there is no Zen 2+, never has been.

Unless AMD now decide to take all of the work they've already put into Zen 3, spend another year on it and break in TSMC's 6nm process with a Zen 2 respin. Perhaps even move the I/O die to GloFo 12nm, or even trial run the 7nm I/O die pegged for Zen 3. Intel literally have nothing to counter Zen 2 - let alone Zen 3 - for a few years yet, so AMD could quite easily push things back a year and reap the rewards of the absence of competition they didn't anticipate.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Except that there is no Zen 2+, never has been.

Unless AMD now decide to take all of the work they've already put into Zen 3, spend another year on it and break in TSMC's 6nm process with a Zen 2 respin. Intel literally have nothing to counter Zen 2 - let alone Zen 3 - for a few years yet, so AMD could quite easily push things back a year and reap the rewards of the absence of competition they didn't anticipate.

When i said Zen2+ I meant basically the successor to Zen2 whatever it was going to be called. The 4000 series essentially.

Because AMD have faced no competition for even the chips they've released right now, I think they have held back the more powerful leaked ones (with higher ghz) are probably now saving them for the 4000 series.

Caporegime
When i said Zen2+ I meant basically the successor to Zen2 whatever it was going to be called. The 4000 series essentially.

Because AMD have faced no competition for even the chips they've released right now, I think they have held back the more powerful leaked ones (with higher ghz) are probably now saving them for the 4000 series.

I think you are right. They are probably holding back the 16 core part for a few months, or even for a refresh (4000 series).

Back
Top Bottom