• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Caporegime
Other than the bad publicity it will generate in the eyes of gamers? Of course, AMD could also not care about that given they're doing a magnificent job of wrapping the semiconductor industry as a whole around their little finger.
So... is that good for gamers or bad for gamers? :p

Should we be pleased for AMD because competition is good, or upset for gamers now AMD wants to shaft gamers :p

You tell me :p Should I whoop and dance or scowl and cry?

The attachment to either company I find really strange, given that consumers are the ones losing out atm. It's pure greed from both colours/sides.

Except it isn't. There is no battle, anywhere.

The low- mid-range is stagnated and overpriced. No one is excited for any new cards at any point in the range.

I disagree, the battle is in the mid-range with the super (ti) refresh and Navi.
But only because many people are priced out of the top end and looking for value.

The real value is sticking with your Vega's and 1080ti's and giving this whole generation a complete miss.

Soldato
Look at this hot garbage. $500 lol. This is what happens when AMD try to replicate the nvidia founders edition, they give you a cheap plastic dented blower. I'm sure the fanyboys will lap it up.

AMD-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-50th-Anniversary-2.jpg

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-radeon-rx-5700-xt-50th-anniversary-edition

Associate
Like I said guys, I am not trying to say it's amazing and they deserve nothing but good things. I just feel the 5700XT isn't that bad and people are talking about it like it's absolutely pointless. It's faster (however much by) from what we know by now and around 15% cheaper. It's a step forward.

I wish people would stop using ray-tracing as a reason to buy a 2070 too, I mean honestly the 2070 can barely handle ray tracing at frame rates anyone would be happy with. If someone really wanted to play with ray-tracing they definitely wouldn't be buying a 2070.

Completely agree, but the fact it can do Ray tracing will be a selling point to some, however useless it is. But with the 5700 not having it, it should be a lil cheaper imo

Soldato
So... is that good for gamers or bad for gamers? :p

Should we be pleased for AMD because competition is good, or upset for gamers now AMD wants to shaft gamers :p

You tell me :p Should I whoop and dance or scowl and cry?

The attachment to either company I find really strange, given that consumers are the ones losing out atm. It's pure greed from both colours/sides.
All 3, surely?

Coming out of the bankruptcy quagmire, AMD are showing that they can start investing in their GPUs now having finally broken some of the chains of GCN and closed the performance gap to Nvidia by a good chunk in a couple of years. So whoop!

I don't agree with it fully, but AMD have to confidence in pricing their products near to Nvidia to eschew the "budget brand" image, and can more-or-less actually justify it. So dance!

But even with that confidence, AMD can still make healthy profits through high volume, low margin sales and have missed (or passed on) an opportunity to really shake up the market through aggressive pricing (note that aggressive pricing doesn't mean cheap and giving things away). So scowl!

But at the end of the day, AMD are just choosing to ride the overpriced bandwagon started by Nvidia, rather than fight it, so us consumers are just getting shafted by all. So cry!

Soldato
Completely agree, but the fact it can do Ray tracing will be a selling point to some, however useless it is. But with the 5700 not having it, it should be a lil cheaper imo

My 1080Ti can do 8k, but why would I ever want to do that to myself? I just really don't see RTX as a selling point of the 2060 or 2070, even the 2080 struggles a lot of the time to get 60fps at anything more than 1080p.

OcUK Staff
eAuwjYb.png

Its 9.5% faster than an RTX2060,with slightly more VRAM for $380,or £360 with VAT.

I love AMD but at £350 for a card that is just above V56 and slower than V64, both of which cost less than 5700, AMD need to position these new cards at lower prices, otherwise Vega kind of remains the better deal especially with V56 still around £250 and V64 from £300 at OcUK.

Let us see, I guess maybe these parts will be similar performance but consume much lower power.

Soldato
with 8+6 pin power requirement I doubt it's going to use lower power.

Gibbo has a point, I bet the navi pricing is high enough to push people to vega so they can clear stock and then drop prices.

OcUK Staff
$499 is gonna be £450. So pretty much same same performance (perhaps 5-6% faster) for same price 9 months later without raytracing (not exactly brilliant itself but its a bonus) and worse (likely) cooler. Disappointment was expected and happened :(

Nvidia may drop price to and release that SUPER version to. Not good for AMD but suppose their giving an alternative. Keep it up guys x

Unless rate goes beyond 1.30 your looking at parity with dollar pricing, plus new launch product, no doubt limited volumes so a $499 product will be £499 typically. Currently pound is 1.26, so $499 is rougly £395, then add 20% VAT you quickly at £475, and as typically to hit MSRP's margins are under 8% sometimes even only around 5% no reseller if stock is limited will be willing to essentially make no money on a brand new product, especially when operating cost for most companies are 3-4%, so making 5-6% is essentially unacceptable.

Lets hope the margin from AMD to us is good, makes hitting a more aggressive price possible, but my suspicions from twenty years experience are that margin will be cut throat and stock slim and with a weak pound prices shall probably be pretty much parity with USD prices with VAT.

Associate
AMD plan all along, over charge for crappy blower card pushes people to console gaming which they both run and keeps Microsoft and Sony happy.

Associate
Unless rate goes beyond 1.30 your looking at parity with dollar pricing, plus new launch product, no doubt limited volumes so a $499 product will be £499 typically. Currently pound is 1.26, so $499 is rougly £395, then add 20% VAT you quickly at £475, and as typically to hit MSRP's margins are under 8% sometimes even only around 5% no reseller if stock is limited will be willing to essentially make no money on a brand new product, especially when operating cost for most companies are 3-4%, so making 5-6% is essentially unacceptable.

Lets hope the margin from AMD to us is good, makes hitting a more aggressive price possible, but my suspicions from twenty years experience are that margin will be cut throat and stock slim and with a weak pound prices shall probably be pretty much parity with USD prices with VAT.

Where are the China tariffs in those prices though? Surely the price quoted last night is the USA sales price which will include a 25% tariff for imports from China?

Products supplied to the UK and EU will not have this additional tax hence should be much cheaper, unless EU distributers are hoping nobody in the UK remembers about the US price war with China.

Permabanned

one thing I did notice over at GN is steve put a notice at the bottom of the vid ...
DO NOT PRE-ORDER. UPDATE: Prices are $450 for the RX 5700 XT, $380 for the RX 5700. The R9 3950X 16-core CPU will be $750
so was thinking he knows something hes not allowed to say
in july they will prob drop another $50 of the price ?

Back
Top Bottom