Race reports

Soldato
Club 10 tonight, good weather in the end after thunder all day, calmed down and was almost perfect.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2429411487/analysis/60/1358

Fantastic ride mate! Great average power and speed, position must be pretty good for that consistency of speed now!? Shame about the slow down, but great pacing/threshold stamina hah :)

EDIT: https://www.strava.com/activities/2412411228#60851758194

Some of the local race team are smashing out the performances lately. In theory ELY is the club I'll be riding with more socially and probably riding for in any events/sportives I do in the future. I've got some work to do if I'm gonna be keeping up with the likes of Joe!

https://www.strava.com/segments/20825792 - Spotted this after some chatter about it, don't know it but I don't recall the roads around Llandovery being that flat so must have been incredible weather for such a fast one. @Thomas. PLease. your mate Pat put in a great ride but those times above him. Just Wow.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Proud moment as I took the win in our club's open hilly time trial this weekend in a time of 0:52:14, which would be a course record if not for some chopper called Hamish Bond doing a 47 on it a couple of years ago! He had more favourable wind obvs.

A really good course around around the White Peak, setting out from Warslow and including a couple of punchy climbs up to Longnor before a long drag up Hollinsclough Rake back to the A53. After that, there is a rolling section back to Onecote before a final climb and descent back to Warslow. I've ridden the course a few times so pretty familiar with it now. Despite the climbing it definitely suits a full TT setup, so went with a rear disc and 90mm front and hoped the forecast crosswinds wouldn't be too severe. I opted to go single ring so rode 50x11-32 on the basis that it'd force me to push up the hills and then not worry if I spun out the 50x11.

I was off at number 40 and thankfully the forecast rain hadn't materialised as some of the descents are "technical" (sketchy as f...). I kept things just below threshold on the 2.5mi starting section and treated it as a warm up for the first punchy climb. I hit that and didn't worry about the power, just out of the saddle and over it as quick as possible with the plan to recover once over the top. Just before the top I caught my minute man which I figured was a good sign. After that, it was a quick drop down before the approach to Longnor. I tried to keep my speed up and stay on the extensions for the short ramp up into the village, again knowing there was a descent shortly after.

Out of Longnor comes another drag followed by the only long climb of the day, with a steep first mile and then a gradual mile and a half drag into the wind before meeting the main road. I stayed low until my speed dropped to 10mph-ish and then came up onto the base bars and, eventually, out of the saddle. I hit lap on my Garmin with the plan to get over the steep section as quickly as possible before settling into my target power of c310w, knowing I could freewheel the descents and recover a bit. I caught my two and three minute men up here but just focused on keeping the effort steady rather than chasing up to them.

From there it was on to the main road and a brief recovery before the rolling section back home. Previously I'd ridden this section almost steady state but this time round focused on pushing power on the lumps and recovering on the downhills. I knew the TT setup would come into its own here given this section was exposed to a cross-headwind, and tried to stay pretty central in the lane in case of any gusts. After 4 miles or so, the road finally heads downhill into a really fast and fun section. Took advantage of the free speed here (although kept it sensible where you pass through a village with a 30mph speed limit...) before starting the final climb. Totally ignored the power here and just tried to grind it out. I hit the summit, took the final twisty descent and then it was just a case of getting the final watts out before hitting the line. Legs still felt good and held 311w for the final mile to cross the line.

40 Gavin Mccloskey-Lambert
by Alan Gibworth, on Flickr

I knew a 52 minute time would be there or thereabouts for the win and that was confirmed a little while later. :D My first ever open TT win and the first club member to win the trophy since Chris Boardman which is a nice little accolade.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2436917017/

Soldato
^ Great result, well done!

Hopefully I won't get any stick for posting this, as technically it was a race, just with swimming and running too :rolleyes:

My first proper triathlon, having only done a local sprint one before…..the Staffordshire 70.3 Iron Man.

Swim – I must admit waiting with hundreds and hundreds of other people on the queue to the starting pontoon, I wasn’t feeling too bad – much better than I thought I would! I am really not a great swimmer, I’ve only been training for it seriously for less than a year, and I haven’t done as much as I should/could have. It will always be the one I look forward to getting out the way, with an ok time that won’t mess up my whole day.

The main thing I was a bit nervous about was going straight into the swim with no ‘warm up’ in the water. The temperature was 14C, so NOT very warm at all (in fact it felt freezing!) But like everyone, there was nothing else for it but starting my watch and jumping in.

It started fine, for the first 200m or so, but then I had a massive panic attack and I just couldn’t catch my breath at all. I had to stop and bob about for 10-15 seconds to calm down. Not that I knew then, but my HR went to almost maximum, which probably caused it. I think it was just the shock of going from nice and warm to freezing cold water. Luckily after getting going again, I calmed down and found my rhythm for the rest of the swim. I cannot tell you how much of a relief it was to finally climb out of the water!

I had a super optimistic time of 36 minutes to complete the swim, but I was pretty sure I would be much slower than this on the day. To my amazement, I clocked a time of 35:28!

T1 – It was a bit of a run to the main tent to pick up your blue bag and change out of your wet suit. It was the first time I’ve ever hurried to get my wet suit off, and I felt it didn’t take too long, but I’m sure there’s time to be made up here. I didn’t bother with a flying mount this time, and put on my socks and tri shoes in the tent. As this was the main setup before the ride and run, I was more than happy to sacrifice a bit of time making sure I was comfortable for the two, with no stones in shoes etc

Ride – This was the bit I was looking forward to, and where I could make up quite a bit of time. There were some quite rough roads out of T1, and a fair amount of single country lanes. There were bottles and bits everywhere from falling off people’s bikes! And a few skid marks into hedges where I guess people didn’t quite make the corner.

When we hit some of the more open (closed) roads it was time to put the hammer down. I felt pretty strong, and was comfortably passing lots and lots of people, only 2 people overtook me during the whole ride, and second person lead me into T2. My plan was to average 22mph, which would give me a time of just over 2:35. I managed 2:30 in the end, so more minutes saved heading into the run.

66th fastest overall bike time on the day, which I was really pleased with (15th fastest in age group)

T2 - a much faster and simpler operation this time. Just slip on my trainers, dump the helmet in the bag and away you go. Although I did sacrifice a couple of minutes with a quick loo break. I really didn't fancy running 90 odd minutes desperate for a pee!

Run - I had a great feeling when hitting the lap button (starting the next bit of the tri) on my watch to see I was at almost 3:15 exactly at the start of the run. That meant anything under a 1:45 half marathon, and it's in the bag. If I were just going for a run, sub 1:45 would be pretty easy, but I was worried I'd burnt too many matches on the bike. I aimed to average about 7 min/miles, which meant I would run just over 90 minutes. This would have probably been doable if it weren't for the bugger of a hill we had to run up twice, and I mean very steep (for running!). There was even a really long upward drag to the start of this too, so that sapped a lot of pace and energy from everyone. I started the last descent, with about 3 miles to go, averaging 7:15 up to this point. Slower than I would have like but good enough to know it was all downhill and all I needed to do was finish strong.
The crowds were absolutely fantastic! Cheering your name (as it was written on your race number) and going nuts to everyone! I remember one guy, with about 1 mile to go, just shouting “Last mile Dan, give it everything!”

The finish straight was epic! Huge crowds either side, and the infamous Iron Man red carpet up to the finish arch. Crossing the line felt immense, and certainly numbed my calves which were on fire!

I found my girlfriend, after stuffing my face in the finishers tent, who would have given me a big hug, but I said don’t worry as I was absolutely disgusting!

A fantastic event overall, and we were so lucky with the weather, as the for the entire day beforehand where we were all registering and setting up the transition zones, it was miserable and really cold. It was a bit of a pain to have T1 and T2 in completely different places, but once that was all done on Saturday, it was still a great event. Really well organised, especially as 2600 people had registered to race!

In the end, I finished 104th– only 40 ish seconds of being in the top 100, with a time of 4:49:24. That also meant 15th in my age group (30-34) which is a pretty competitive field!

Just under two months until I do it all over again! This time somewhere a bit more local, and everything in one place! Cheers!

Yes I look like a complete wolly at the finish line, but as you imagine, I was pretty happy to cross that line!!

Soldato
OP
That is a great result - congratulations. I do see the appeal of tri but I find it stressful enough juggling hobbies never mind introducing two additional sports into the mix! I can see myself going back to running once I'm bored of TT though.

Soldato
Thanks!
I can understand that. But for me as someone who travels a lot, I can at least work on my running in the hotel gyms (or on the roads if I'm in a suitable place). Swimming is the tricky one, it's not as easy to just 'go for a swim!'
And it's funny you say about juggling hobbies - I've barely touched my cameras since I really go into training. It's like it's taken over everything (but not in a bad way). I used to get back to hotels and grab my camera and explore, but I often find myself heading straight out for a run instead.
I'll calm down one I've done a full iron man.......next year.

Associate
That is a great result Shadowness! Sub 5 hours on what was apparently a tough course is pretty amazing.

I did my first half Ironman distance on the same day at the Cotswold 113. Total time was 6:33 (0:44, 3:15, 2:22 with 2 x 5 min transitions) which I was delighted with as I thought I’d be over 7 hours. The bike and run was pretty much flat as a pancake .

My training wasn’t great - 8 weeks of going to the pool once a week, cycling was building up a handful of 50 mile rides at the weekend and running was a half in Mar followed by mainly 10km runs once a week. (Having 3 kids means I don’t get much training time!)

Which one are you doing next?

Soldato
Thanks!

Which one are you doing next?

The Cotswold 113! (the August one)

It's a relatively local one to me, and I know the roads around it pretty well. Looking forward to a flatter bike, and especially a flatter run. I'm sure I would have cracked 1:30 for the half marathon if it wasn't for the two lumps we all had to climb twice.

Soldato
The long weekend it seems, spotted a few of us doing long TT's this weekend.

Mine was the 50miler on the A3. Luckily the weather improved for the weekend and a dry fairly calm day awaited me when I woke up. Due to the early start and worry about digestion/not wanting to get up at ridiculous o'clock I had an oat/banana/almond milk shake for breakfast rather than my usual porridge about 2 hours before my start time.

Got to the event and went through the usual sign on and had a shorter warm up than usual just building through the zones to get some residual heat in me, think the next 2 hours would be the warm up.

I got to the line with a minute or two to go, had my last bit to eat/drink and got going, new chainring on the bike (58T oval - see the aeroGains thread) and started on the long descent to the A3 down a bit of a bumpy B Road. this first bit is about 2.5 miles long and I know never go too hard until you hit the A3 proper. Once I got to the A3 my power was at about 250W, perfect for the next couple of hours. I really settled in with my HR sitting about 160-165 and power hovering around 260w to the first turn. My stomach was a bit unsettled so didnt take anything at this point, and ploughed on. Across the first roundabout with a nice clear run, but traffic was certainly building up as I'd had 2 close passes already in the first 30 minutes. 34 minutes in and I'm being passed by my minute man, a guy I know well, this was a bit disheartening as I was expecting him to take 2 minutes at most out of me, although I had caught my minute man pretty much. Then just as I'm passing my minute man boom, my chain has dropped to the outside. I'd managed to lean down and grab it and get it back on, looked down and was still doing about 25mph :D

I had probably dropped a good 10 seconds doing this though, so I got back into the rhythm and kept power nice and constant, it was staying around 260W maybe going up a watt or two on the inclines and then dropping a watt or two on the descents. At the northern most turn I took a caffeine gel and almost ran into a guy 2 minute behind me as he just did not commit to the turn whatsoever, back across the roundabout with no traffic bar a new Honda NSX which meant I couldn't take a nice straight line but not exactly harming my race.

I had properly settled into my rhythm just turning the wheels and changing up and down as required whilst my brain kept itself occupied thinking about random things as it does on these sorts of distances, ie how far to go, how quick am I going etc just little bits to keep my head awake. I caught a few people up and was eyeing up my club mate who started 3 minutes ahead of me, but no sign so he was obviously going well.

Got to the southern turn and took my 2 last gels in quick succession as my stomach had settled and knew I needed something to get me through the last 40 minutes or so. Up north to the roundabout and across the rumble strips encouraging drivers to slow and nooo my chain went again, I managed to get it semi hooked on but then it dropped to the inside, I quickly pulled to a stop after the roundabout and got it back on, and accelerated away, losing maybe 20 seconds at most, it was frustrating, but it did manage to stretch my back out for the last 30 minutes! I pushed on and started cranking it up with only about 10 miles to go, got to the northern most final turn andlast squizz of drink to the finish.

I got my HR up and pushed on to the finish line - coming across the line in 1:48:39 - considering i dropped my chain twice I had only given away 2:20 in total to my minute man who I mentioned earlier, so the second half of my race was fairly strong and consistent. 258W average including the chain drops, so I was quite happy overall. Few niggles with my gear changes that I need to sort out to get my drive train a bit more efficient.

This was a PB by almost 5 minutes since my last attempt in 2016. However some 14 minutes off the winner... The former Olympic Silver medallist rower Chris Bartley which they believe was the second quickest 50 mile TT ever definitely not on the quickest course. I was a bit broken after being unable to bend over but seem to have

https://www.strava.com/activities/2473613680

Soldato
<snip>
This was a PB by almost 5 minutes since my last attempt in 2016. However some 14 minutes off the winner... The former Olympic Silver medallist rower Chris Bartley which they believe was the second quickest 50 mile TT ever definitely not on the quickest course. I was a bit broken after being unable to bend over but seem to have

https://www.strava.com/activities/2473613680
Great ride buddy, really good numbers over that distance! Course looks quite undulating which must make it interesting and probably helps your style of riding? Hardly surprising you where a bit broken afterwards and couldn't finish your post lol :D

Bartley's ride. Huge! The others above him on the Strava leaderboard are a bit off. One is a team TT (understandable) but the KOM stands out as a dodgy ride/strava bork as it's registered him riding the 50 mile segment, when he was only doing a 25... :rolleyes:

Actually fitted some aerobars to my Diverge on the weekend... Got some tweaking to do - I've got an ok position on the turbo, I actually find I can hold it not too uncomfortably for 15/20 mins without really dedicating time/effort to it during group rides. Race in it a little but usually find pushing hard I can hold it, just struggle to recover that well in it, so have to come up out of it.

It's probably horribly non-aero anyway, but certainly better than being sat up straight lol

Soldato
Yeah it was ok, but you've got to be quite discliplined not to go too hard on the ascents. One picture is now on Strava of myself which is horrendous! :D

I seem to have recovered with no lasting aches or pains, so maybe I can try to get more agressive, although my arm rests are as low as they can go, so only way is to stretch myself out to get lower, possibly saddle back a bit or extensions further forward.

Soldato
Straight into another TT last night, the one course I look out for every year. A lovely mix of technical descents, long climb, short climb and rolling flowing bends.

After the 50 on Sunday I wasn't expecting much, but was hoping to get a course PB. I started my warm up much later than planned after completely misjudging the time so just went through the gears on the turbo for 15 mins, then off and riding to the start, which was a lot further away than I remembered, so I was goign a bit hard on the warm up :D I got there in time with a minute to spare though, so quickly sorted myself out and off I went.

The course starts with a flat section on average roads down to a roundabout in Chichester, I've ridden this course numerous times and then still managed to miss the turn even after looking at the arrows a few times, so around the roundabout I went and took the turning on the second time of asking, this cost me about 35 seconds - it's a big roundabout...

I was trying not to go too hard but keeping my power up on the uphill slopes and recovering when it eased off a bit. I had passed a couple of riders before the first long draggy climb and I was sweating loads due to the heat and humidity. Hit the climb which starts off very slowly and then gradually ramps up, was in the tuck position for quite a while pushing good power, then sat up and tried to attack knowing not too far too go to the top. As I changed down my rear cage was catching my rear wheel unfortunately so rather than a 39-23 as my easiest I only had a 39-21, not good for the impending short sharp climb.

By the time I got to the top of the climb I had passed pretty much everyone who had started ahead of me and could see one guy in front, I was hoping not to have to pass anyone on the descent due to the twisty nature of it, but managed to get around him without too much bother, hit the tight (270degree) left hander and straight into the hellish climb over Harting. I grinded my way up to the top slowly but surely and quickly got into the aero tuck and gave myself a bit of recovery for the next 30 seconds before the blast to home.

Winding my way through a few villages I was on for a good time despite my diversion and was slowly bringing my power back up a watt at a time, 266,267,268, was hoping 270 before the race. As I took the last turn I attacked the last ramp and pushed on to the finish - in the end apparently a 58:12 although my Garmin tells me it was more like a 57:42 which is 13 seconds better than my PB or minus the roundabout - 50 seconds or so. Overall came home 4th but once again enjoyed the route, it's one I try to get more people to come to as there were only 18 riders last night.

Best things were my power was good considering the effort Sunday and not ideal warm up along with the heat, showing in my numerous Strava segments where I was quicker than previous attempts. Secondly check out the napkins in the strava picture for a blast from the past.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2480413245

Soldato
One picture is now on Strava of myself which is horrendous! :D
Game face! You find that crossed hands position good? I tried interlinking a few fingers and quite like it but grip so hard they went numb! I've got J bend extensions on the turbo and like them, tried more ski bend on the set that's on the Diverge. Will take some getting used to as have a feeling longer efforts may strain my wrists too much, but I find it easier to drop my head a little lower, but then the bend of the J's I find good to pull against to crank the power up. Hmm!

Ebay bargains both sets from the wiggle page - one £21 Profile Design and the other £19.50 Token, including postage!

Great ride and result. Some good form & recovery! But 40mph down those S bends into a tight left turn. :o Bawls of steel!

Soldato
Game face! You find that crossed hands position good? I tried interlinking a few fingers and quite like it but grip so hard they went numb! I've got J bend extensions on the turbo and like them, tried more ski bend on the set that's on the Diverge. Will take some getting used to as have a feeling longer efforts may strain my wrists too much, but I find it easier to drop my head a little lower, but then the bend of the J's I find good to pull against to crank the power up. Hmm!

Ebay bargains both sets from the wiggle page - one £21 Profile Design and the other £19.50 Token, including postage!

Great ride and result. Some good form & recovery! But 40mph down those S bends into a tight left turn. :o Bawls of steel!

Ta, seems to work, don't hold on too tight and shifters underneath to blip as required.

That downhill was a good 7 seconds off my PB.

Soldato
Hot and sweaty!

Club 25 last night. I usually push more at the start but held myself back to see what the weather was doing to my body.

Rode a solid Pb, no traffic delays. 281w and 56:36 which is a pretty fast time for the course.

Started to get numb hand at the end, I think with more extreme bar drop I must catch a nerve in my forearm. Right arm ok as it moves about and does some shifting.

Got wedges now but not fitted as I need different aero bars. Ordered some 40s to try but they might be a bit extreme for me.

Soldato
Slowly Slowly catchy monkey!

A3 last night, arrived quite early and got set up, no power meter, so work to HR for my warm up, was proper windy, so changed the 808 out for my 50mm. As I went through my warm up, the wind started to drop and I decided late on that as I had a bit of time I'd change back to the 808. Head to the start and away I go, as usual I completely forgot about the drain cover on the roundabout entrance... every bloody time.. Head north with the wind behind me, but didn't feel especially quick. Got up to the turn with no real issues, nobody had caught me at this point (30second offs), but had only done an 11:05 or so with the wind behind me, this was a bit disappointing. Got my head down and pushed through to the end, just one clueless moron coming past in his Merc with the horn blaring then cutting in close to me and the guy ahead of me.

Came through the finish way up over the second half with a 20:36, so must have really flown through. New 10 mile PB for me. Didn't feel or sound like a quick night talking to others, but getting closer to that 20 minute mark. Will see what adjustments I can make to get more aero, hopefully get into next weeks midweek 10 to see if I can get it lower this season on a course where I've set PBs the last 2 times I've ridden it (it's usually only used once per year).

Soldato
Nice one mate. Always amuses me when you feel slow but go faster than ever.

Do you think you pushed harder as you didn't have a number to stick to in your head?

Soldato
Nice one mate. Always amuses me when you feel slow but go faster than ever.

Do you think you pushed harder as you didn't have a number to stick to in your head?

Nah, don't think so, I don't really ride to a specific number on power for tts, although always have a number in mine that I should be aiming for as a minimum, know I'm going too hard if I start feel lactate in first mile.

Was my first 10 mi in this position which I broke my 25mi pb on twice last month. I actually found out my zipp disc has an issue on Monday which could explain the awful shifting I've had all season. It was nice to have properly crisp shifting all the way through on the borrowed disc. Hopefully have it fixed and back for next week.

As I said hopefully I'll get in next week's event and get my power meter working to see what I'm putting out.

Soldato
Good luck when it comes then!

Position seems to be eveything when I check times vs power on strava.

I replaced bearings in a FFWD disc the other day, hopefully the guy gets the sub 21 he's been chasing as they were pretty goosed.

I'm racing on Sunday and only been out on Tuesday this week after a mad night out on Saturday. So lacking in motivation recently but I've booked a week off for Rothesay weekend and will stay the weekend to do 2up, hill climb and the APR. Then try improve on my 6th at the glenmarnock RR this year.

Soldato
Sub 21 club signing in!

Bit of a cough in the back of my throat but fine on the bike. It’s been hot and stormy all week here, looked like rain but never did on the course, sort of a side and slight headwind out, flags blowing but it never felt too hard.

Good run at the roundabouts, I’m taking the big U turn we do twice on the aero bars now, you can hold 42kmh and pedal round if you’re brave! There are lots of those painted bumps for the 400m leading up to it which I hate, usually ease off a little and recover going into it.

Knew at the final U turn I was on for a good time as it’s ~6 mins to the finish and I was on 16 mins (minus 1 minute as I start Garmin when my minute man goes off).

Last 5 mins Garmin comes up saying power meter battery low, taking up the whole screen. Assumed it would clear but it didn’t, I’d have to press enter, just dig as deep as can at this point anyway so ignored it.

20:49, 313w. That’s less than two weeks ago (316) but maybe used them better. I moved to an aero bar Garmin mount so can see my watts easier. From the side photo posted on FB I look a tiny bit more aero as I was trying to relax.

Annoyingly the club record on this new course is 20:46. The course record is a 19 something! Unless next week is amazing and I have an absolute flyer (not likely) I’m going to miss it!

I’m going to go to a USE40 setup conventionally with a 10 degree pad angle. Maybe lower my bars more. The TT forum suggested bringing pads up and more of a shrug, but as I have them so narrow bringing in my shoulders I struggle to do that.

Soldato
Yeah, I got kicked **** out of today. TLI race so age category. Only 9 or 10 turned up so nowhere to hide.

I had been off the front for a while on the first lap a few minutes in, purely rolled through and got left out there. Got caught and they tried to drop me. My mate attacked later that lap and got brought back so I kept the pace high over a long drag - got a decent gap and kept the pace high. Got caught by One or two cat 2s came up to me then attacked past, then a 1st cat attacked. Stuck with them but after a few more attacks we got near the climb for a second time. One of three Glasgow green riders rolled off the front, i sensed it was a tactical one so did a half hearted effort out the bunch and that got the real attack to happen. Legs were shot and we had a cross headwind and also had the 1st cat and a few other good guys behind so sat up.

They caught me on the climb, same guys as before then the 1st cat went like **** over the top. On my own for the last 5 miles :D

So yeah, doing 1000w to get onto a wheel then sitting at 300w every few minutes wears you out.

Martin Lonie the 1st cat took the win, mr Shirley burnt too many matches.

I think my speed sensor is broken, anytime I was giving it effort out the saddle it would auto pause. My speed doesn't match a guy I was with for 38 miles either 22.9 vs 23.8. Definitely felt more like 23.8 :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/2590679853/overview

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom