• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
*I* want to see a tweaked V56 vs tweaked 5700 ;)
Indeed. According to Anandtech:

According to AMD’s own data, the 5700 XT is on average 14% faster than the Vega 64, and closer to 30% faster than the Vega 56. AMD doesn’t provide similar data for the 5700 (vanilla), but with those numbers the card should easily best the Vega 56.

So a 5700 XT is 30% faster than a Vega 56 but at ~£425, so worse perf/price.

Soldato
They're competing against the two biggest companies in both segments with what I imagine, a tiny budget in comparison.

Except as they keep proving they can easily trade blows with Intel, they used to be able to compete against both and do fairly well but ever since 290 and fury they seem to have just completely given up trying to match Nvidia in the high end range and seem happy to settle for overpriced midrange cards nobody really wants as midrange used to be for people on a budget, but now midrange is priced more than high end used to be

Permabanned
Of course they had a choice but they are not a charity. They release a product comparable to something that is actually selling for £480, why on earth should they sell their version for £300?
Because everyone and their dog would have bought one making them a bonafide option again. They had a chance to ride on the positivity of their current CPU reputation but they didn't, they went stupid. That's why?
I wouldn't call that charity, it's building a buyer base and securing a future market for their GPU division. Instead they killed it.

Soldato
Because everyone and their dog would have bought one making them a bonafide option again. They had a chance to ride on the positivity of their current CPU reputation but they didn't, they went stupid. That's why?
I wouldn't call that charity, it's building a buyer base and securing a future market for their GPU division. Instead they killed it.

I don't really call it stupid, it's what pretty much every company in the world does. Look at competitors in a segment, see how your product holds up and price accordingly. No company is going to make a loss for months and keep their shareholders happy.

OcUK Staff
Where are the China tariffs in those prices though? Surely the price quoted last night is the USA sales price which will include a 25% tariff for imports from China?

Products supplied to the UK and EU will not have this additional tax hence should be much cheaper, unless EU distributers are hoping nobody in the UK remembers about the US price war with China.

Prices do not include the tariff. But that is the US's prices issue, if it effects us too then your looking at 25% but as I am buying product every day in USD there has being zero impact on products I import to the UK.

Soldato
Look at this hot garbage. $500 lol. This is what happens when AMD try to replicate the nvidia founders edition, they give you a cheap plastic dented blower. I'm sure the fanyboys will lap it up.

AMD-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-50th-Anniversary-2.jpg

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-radeon-rx-5700-xt-50th-anniversary-edition
It's aluminium

Caporegime
Unless rate goes beyond 1.30 your looking at parity with dollar pricing, plus new launch product, no doubt limited volumes so a $499 product will be £499 typically. Currently pound is 1.26, so $499 is rougly £395, then add 20% VAT you quickly at £475, and as typically to hit MSRP's margins are under 8% sometimes even only around 5% no reseller if stock is limited will be willing to essentially make no money on a brand new product, especially when operating cost for most companies are 3-4%, so making 5-6% is essentially unacceptable.

Lets hope the margin from AMD to us is good, makes hitting a more aggressive price possible, but my suspicions from twenty years experience are that margin will be cut throat and stock slim and with a weak pound prices shall probably be pretty much parity with USD prices with VAT.

So glad I bagged a 1080ti on offer before they went EOL ;)

£499 for a 5700XT is ludicrous :p

Soldato
Set the hype drive core to maximum reality warp! Make it so (expensive). nVidians on the starboard bow!

Sorry but anyone who claims that Navi is a success story is too far gone to take seriously.

posted two days ago:

Stocks This Week: Short Marathon Oil And NVIDIA via @Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...ocks-this-week-short-marathon-oil-and-nvidia/

Why? Because AMD has delivered on their 7nm roadmap. If AMD keep delivering their stock will continue to keep rising because people will buy their products at the expense of Nvidia.

Nobody really judges the blower cooler on either product from either company. If i buy an nvidia blower card the first thing i do is rip it off.

OcUK Staff
If you had to speculate on our prices what would your completely stab in the dark figure be ?

Parity with USD at launch, after launch is demand is beyond supply, then higher.
If stock floods market then 5% margin on $499 so roughly £469-£479 best bet, but to be honest if we can only make 5% on a brand new product, for us its not worth our time or effort, hence I suspect reference cards to have USD/GBP parity so $499 be £599, then custom cards will be more expensive like they always are, look at 2080, we hit £599 on cheaper cards, but cards like Asus Strix and Sapphire Nitro will generally always carry some kind of premium.

Of course if NVIDIA move price or release new product that could force AMD to re-think the pricing, but NVIDIA is an unknown, the $100 price cuts won't happen because then 2060 would be under 1660ti so sometimes I laugh at what I read, because a manufacturer has to maintain its stack and maintain its margins, $100 could happen on older 2080 to clear, but anything on 2070 and 2060 would be much smaller to none existent.

Caporegime
I don't really call it stupid, it's what pretty much every company in the world does. Look at competitors in a segment, see how your product holds up and price accordingly. No company is going to make a loss for months and keep their shareholders happy.
There is a middle ground between over-charging and making a loss. You would think :p

Caporegime
Parity with USD at launch, after launch is demand is beyond supply, then higher.
If stock floods market then 5% margin on $499 so roughly £469-£479 best bet, but to be honest if we can only make 5% on a brand new product, for us its not worth our time or effort, hence I suspect reference cards to have USD/GBP parity so $499 be £599, then custom cards will be more expensive like they always are, look at 2080, we hit £599 on cheaper cards, but cards like Asus Strix and Sapphire Nitro will generally always carry some kind of premium.

Of course if NVIDIA move price or release new product that could force AMD to re-think the pricing, but NVIDIA is an unknown, the $100 price cuts won't happen because then 2060 would be under 1660ti so sometimes I laugh at what I read, because a manufacturer has to maintain its stack and maintain its margins, $100 could happen on older 2080 to clear, but anything on 2070 and 2060 would be much smaller to none existent.
$499 = £599 :p I'm sure that's a typo but if not... :p

Soldato
Look at this hot garbage. $500 lol. This is what happens when AMD try to replicate the nvidia founders edition, they give you a cheap plastic dented blower. I'm sure the fanyboys will lap it up.

AMD-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-50th-Anniversary-2.jpg

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-radeon-rx-5700-xt-50th-anniversary-edition

Nope, won’t even touch it. Had that performance 2 years ago in a card I’m still rocking today. Got a 1080ti in my other rig so I’m fine to pass on this, there’s no upgrade from a big overclocking Vega64 at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom