• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Recommendations for gpu that can do dual monitors - non gaming

Soldato
Any recommendation on a GPU that will run dual monitors. Won't be for gaming. She was gifted 2 monitors with VGA leads so needs to have that option to connect, or I can get her adapters from vga(screens) to HDMI(GPU) if the GPU only takes HDMI, or newer connectors.

Would something like a 1030 or a AMD 550 be doable? She wants a GPU and not onboard graphics even though it's doable.

Even something as low as a GTX730?

Her mobo will be the Asrock B450M Pro4 (Socket AM4) DDR4 MATX Motherboard
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asrock-b450m-pro4-socket-am4-ddr4-matx-motherboard-mb-16c-ak.html

Associate
VGA makes is difficult. She could look for some free Dell monitors that might accept HDMI.
The trouble is that newer cards tend to have 1x HDMI and multiple DP ports.
What resolution are you trying to output?
Look on eBay to find something cheap, possibly with VGA and DVI ports with support for her OS.

Why does she not want to use onboard?

Soldato
OP
VGA makes is difficult. She could look for some free Dell monitors that might accept HDMI.
The trouble is that newer cards tend to have 1x HDMI and multiple DP ports.
What resolution are you trying to output?
Look on eBay to find something cheap, possibly with VGA and DVI ports with support for her OS.

Why does she not want to use onboard?

I don't know why she won't use the onboard. I've said to her that she doesn't need a GPU if its work and non gaming but she wants one for later on if she changes her mind about some very basic tower defense type gaming

Associate
Should can also use an HDMI to VGA cable or DVI to VGA cable and go with whatever cheap card she likes.
This raises the question of how much power her PSU can handle and what cables it has.
If she has a prebuilt computer, it would probably need to be upgraded which can be an issue with some cases.

She is much better off buying a GPU when she needs it and when she knows what she will need it for.

Soldato
OP
Should can also use an HDMI to VGA cable or DVI to VGA cable and go with whatever cheap card she likes.
This raises the question of how much power her PSU can handle and what cables it has.
If she has a prebuilt computer, it would probably need to be upgraded which can be an issue with some cases.

She is much better off buying a GPU when she needs it and when she knows what she will need it for.

She's getting a 500W BeQuiet PSU. I'm building the whole PC for her. Hopefully I've got something from the MM that's in her range. Cheers for the feedback.

Soldato
You might need to be a bit careful with DVI to VGA, looking a the motherboard you linked and even the cheapest GPU on the OCUK site, the GT 710, they both have DVI-D ports, which are for digital only. In order to convert these to VGA you would need a powered adapter for DVI-D to VGA, which are around £20ish.

Whereas if you found a GPU with DVI-I, you can easy pick up adapters for these to VGA for pennies, so it may be in your best interest to grab a card that has DVI-I instead.

Soldato
OP
You might need to be a bit careful with DVI to VGA, looking a the motherboard you linked and even the cheapest GPU on the OCUK site, the GT 710, they both have DVI-D ports, which are for digital only. In order to convert these to VGA you would need a powered adapter for DVI-D to VGA, which are around £20ish.

Whereas if you found a GPU with DVI-I, you can easy pick up adapters for these to VGA for pennies, so it may be in your best interest to grab a card that has DVI-I instead.

Ah you're right, I thought it was DVI-I, it's DVI-D....well spotted. Thank you. Change of plans....

Back
Top Bottom