Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Does anyone have a MR-2? Mid Engine, RWD, Toyota reliability, how come they are not as popular (on this forum at least)?
Because the nice looking ones are all 20 years old now, so require a little bit of tlc, if you can find one that hasn't been abused.

The newer ones are just plain ugly.

Caporegime
I've been in many OcUKers MX-5s over the years and wanted to pick up a Mk3 later this year. I spotted this Mk2.5 for sale 5 miles away so went to have a look. It's a 1.8 SVT with recent receipts for Gaz Gold Pro coilovers, AD08 tyres, discs all round with EBC yellow pads and almost a grand spent on sill replacement by a reputable MX-5 restorer.

270519_mx5_1.jpg

The roof and TD Monza wheels are only a few years old too. 76k miles, 3 previous owners. SVT spec includes heated leathers, 6 speed box and LSD.

Very nice, a MK2.5 SVT with nice coilovers and great tyres, all you need for endless fun on sunny days bashing around B-Roads. I do miss mine!

Soldato
Currently got a 335d XDrive Msport on loan while the other is being serviced. I was hoping for an M3, but ah well. That said, I was very impressed by the speed of it. It's pretty rapid.:eek:

img_20190606_203007_by_saiper_dd8pic6-pre.jpg

Associate
Those 6 cylinder diesel engines are pretty beastly - from memory, it produces around 450 lbs/ft of torque, and a 0-62 time of 4.8 ish.

Friend of mine had one that was remapped. Ridiculous performance from a diesel that pretty much looked indistinguishable from a 320d.

Soldato
And....................

Sold!

DSC01617 by Daniel Air, on Flickr

DSC01542 by Daniel Air, on Flickr

DSC01615 by Daniel Air, on Flickr

DSC01551 by Daniel Air, on Flickr

It's been great fun owning this car. I really felt as though I made the most of this car. Never got the chance to fully enjoy my first ownership experience of this car. So made sure I went all out this time. Multiple roadtrips and trackdays... With the highlight being the trip to the "Motherland"!

DSC00637 by Daniel Air, on Flickr

racetracker_5307212_79689 by Daniel Air, on Flickr

MVIMG_20180917_091710 by Daniel Air, on Flickr

Soldato
Most people will probably disagree, but I really like that. I heard that the Turbo is the one to get over the S, as the 4.5 N/A engines in the S can need a lot of expensive work. Is that the issue you're referring to?

Associate
I would have loved a turbo but the budget wouldn't stretch. Bore scoring can be an issue on the S but I had this one scoped and it's okay. The steering is on the heavy side, drivable but feels like you're driving with flat tyres regardless of speed. No codes on scan so I'm guessing rack but hoping just alignment.

Soldato
I would have loved a turbo but the budget wouldn't stretch. Bore scoring can be an issue on the S but I had this one scoped and it's okay. The steering is on the heavy side, drivable but feels like you're driving with flat tyres regardless of speed. No codes on scan so I'm guessing rack but hoping just alignment.

Definitely worth trying an alignment: I had a similar issue on my Range Rover recently, and an alignment sorted it.

Associate
Really like this. My girlfriend has a boggo mid-spec 1.6 TDI and it's a very good car.

IMHO you'd have to be really desperate for the VW badge to want to spend more on a Golf.

Only had it just under a week and its a lovely car, lovely to drive and pretty decent performance. I see it as essentially a front wheel drive golf R, same engine, similar power, minus the 4WD. For the 0-60 fan boys its a no brainer, golf would destroy it, but these tend to be slightly quicker from a rolling start due to weight difference etc.

I bought it as an allrounder as it is my daily drive, in that it just does everything so well, and its surprised me in a few areas already really. It replaced a mk6 golf GT and that had 18" wheels and had adaptive suspension, it was quite nice to drive in comfort mode, and i thought this would be a bit harsher with having 19's and a lower profile tyre. In fact its a lot nicer in comfort, then stick in cupra mode and it becomes a bit of different animal and its nice to have that option.

The build quality is really nice too and the spec list is massive, with added lux model bits (wireless phone charging, heated seats and so on). I've been in a mk7 golf and contemplated one (GTI not R), but yeah its a no brainer to get one of these instead of the golf for the money and what you get its great. I would say the golf is marginally better build quality, but doesnt warrant the price difference IMO.

Back
Top Bottom