Uni Students - What percentage does an end of year test account for?

Soldato
In regards to the final score of that module.

The OU for example - I had a 90% average on my TMAs, this counts towards 50% of my final module score.

I had my exam yesterday, which was my first exam in 12 years, and I am pretty sure I got under 70%. It went very bad! If my predictions on my exam is correct, then that means that I will be awarded a Lower Second overall.

I was just wondering how a brick and mortar University handle these percentages? I am a bit gutted as I am in the First / Upper Second range and that may be annihilated for 1 weeks worth of crap exams.

Soldato
OP
It depends on the course. When I did architecture, the bulk of it was on the projects for each semester, whereas in Law each exam (Civil, Criminal, Property etc) will account for 100% of its own module with 1 single dissertation on a topic on its own.

Was that for a Bachelors or a Masters? The Law degree sounds tough!

Caporegime
Was that for a Bachelors or a Masters? The Law degree sounds tough!

In depends on the university as Architecture can be in BA or Bsc, I did BA. I suspect. Bsc would weight more towards exams. Of course, it also depends on the University itself.

My BA Architecture in degree was basically broken down to 2 design modules a year, with some smaller lecture taught modules in between for topics like thermals, some structural engineering (very small module, like 1 semester). But the bulk of the degree is weighted towards design, instead of a dissertation, it is the design project that is the "dissertation"

Architecture (RIBA Part 2) was all designs although I started but never finished, switched and did my Law conversation half way. So I didn't do a Law degree, I did a CPE and then a LPC but my sister did do a Law degree and then also a LPC. The CPE was graded at a Masters level, as I remember asking and found out that all I need to get a Msc in Law was to do a research module to get enough credits for it. From what I gather the CPE and Law degree structure wise are similar, the CPE is essentially a 3 year law degree crammed into a single year with just the core modules. It was non stop lectures and lectures, it was quite a while ago but I don't recall writing that many essays. I recall the bulk of the weight of the degree is on the final exams. It was a horrible time to be honest cramming stuff in the last few weeks.

Soldato
OP

Sounds like you have gone through the rounds then - impressive! I think on my end, time is my enemy. Working full-time and studying full-time isn't really working out, I will be leaving my job around November time to give me chance to pull this back for the third year.

Does anyone have any input in regards to a Computer Science BSc or MSc?

Soldato
the CPE is essentially a 3 year law degree crammed into a single year with just the core modules. It was non stop lectures and lectures, it was quite a while ago but I don't recall writing that many essays. I recall the bulk of the weight of the degree is on the final exams. It was a horrible time to be honest cramming stuff in the last few weeks.

I did an abbreviated (6 month) GDL in 2012 (!!), which was similar. 4 days of lectures a week and 15 or so exams in the 6 months. Still easier than working in law though! The LPC was an absolute doddle by comparison.

My degree (philosophy) was heavily essay-based. I think each module had two essays which accounted for all of the marks, save maybe five which also had an exam.

Soldato
Does anyone have any input in regards to a Computer Science BSc or MSc?

It's more than 10 years since I graduated so I can't remember exactly but I think most modules were around 30% from class tests or coursework and 70% from end of term exams. Not all modules had class tests though so they were 100% from exams.

Soldato
Going on to your unis module catalogue will give a breakdown of how each module is weighted. For example I have just selected my modules for next year, thermo 3 is 10% coursework 90% exam so I know the exam is worth 9/10 credits for that module thus 9/120 credits for third year.

You then need to onto your course breakdown and it'll tell you what percentage each year is worth, off the top of my head I can't remember but I believe mine is weighted 30% 2nd year 70% 3rd year

Soldato
OP
Going on to your unis module catalogue will give a breakdown of how each module is weighted. For example I have just selected my modules for next year, thermo 3 is 10% coursework 90% exam so I know the exam is worth 9/10 credits for that module thus 9/120 credits for third year.

You then need to onto your course breakdown and it'll tell you what percentage each year is worth, off the top of my head I can't remember but I believe mine is weighted 30% 2nd year 70% 3rd year

I didn't realise the weighting was quite that high... I guess is to try and combat people paying other people to do their coursework for them?

The weightings for all of my modules are 50/50. Apart from one which is 60/40.

I thought the OU was high, but seems like I am actually probably better off than a brick and mortar uni (depending on how good you are with coursework, etc).

From what you are saying, I need to brush up on doing exams!

Soldato
it depends entirely on the individual module, some modules are all end of semester exam, some are all mid semester coursework, and most are a mix of the 2. that's in engineering at least.

different institutions and courses are going to be better suited to certain methods of examination, so there isn't really any solid answer.

personally i reckon a mix of both is a good compromise, there's pluses and negatives to both coursework and exams.

Soldato
I didn't realise the weighting was quite that high... I guess is to try and combat people paying other people to do their coursework for them?

The weightings for all of my modules are 50/50. Apart from one which is 60/40.

I thought the OU was high, but seems like I am actually probably better off than a brick and mortar uni (depending on how good you are with coursework, etc).

From what you are saying, I need to brush up on doing exams!

It's all module dependant, thermo is my highest exam weight. Some modules are 100% coursework

Caporegime
The OU for example - I had a 90% average on my TMAs, this counts towards 50% of my final module score.

I had my exam yesterday, which was my first exam in 12 years, and I am pretty sure I got under 70%. It went very bad! If my predictions on my exam is correct, then that means that I will be awarded a Lower Second overall.

Are you sure you haven't confused things here, IIRC it doesn't count 50% towards your final module score, generally people score quite highly on coursework, under their old system (presumably still in place for some modules) coursework scores only serve to potentially limit your grade (it is sort of an incentive to make sure to complete it all), under the newer system in place for some modules you simply have a min amount of coursework to complete and an average mark to achieve. In either case your module grade is down to your exam performance. (I might be completely off the mark here, have looked at OU maths modules before, might be different for yours).

At a regular university it varies depending on the module - could be anything from purely down to the exam through to 100% coursework. It can be quite common for say a CS module to be 60/40 exam/coursework or 50/50 and for a stats module to be more like 80/20 or 90/10 and for a maths module to be 100% exam.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I hope one of your exams isn't maths!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

What is wrong with his maths?
He has 12 modules in his final year?

Generally for a third year it's four modules plus a double weighted dissertation/project module.

So the exam in question is probably worth 18/120 credits.

Caporegime
He has 12 modules in his final year?

Maybe, or maybe he has some other combination including modules worth 20 credits or more(such as a project or dissertation). I'm not sure what your point is here?

Edit - ref your edit, perhaps or perhaps it is a 10 credit module...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Maybe, or maybe he has some other combination including modules worth 20 credits or more(such as a project or dissertation). I'm not sure what your point is here?

My comment was obviously on the 'jest' side of things, don't take it too seriously, but as usual you love picking holes in everything I write - you're nothing if not consistent Dowie.

Caporegime
This didn't require so many posts tbh... trust me I'm not taking it too seriously, I think you might well have incorrectly called out a maths fail while making one yourself that's all.

Soldato
I hope one of your exams isn't maths!

All of my exams are maths. My third year is 3 compulsory modules 40 20 and 20 then selected modules worth 40 credits from a combination of 10 or 20 credit modules.

However in this case you are correct as I forgot thermo 3 is my only 20 credit elected module so Infact is 18 credits of exam. But my other two elects are 10 credits 1 is 100% cw the other is 30/70 so 7 credits exam.

Back
Top Bottom