• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

New BIOS and AGESA are much better, running 4 x 8GB 8 Pack sticks (32GB) at 3200 C14 no problems.

Hoping that's the case.

May even try to loosen off the timings and increase the voltage to try and get up to that lofty 1:1 / 3733 sweet spot.

I highly doubt 4x 8gb B-die will stretch that far though.
Lots of playing around to come.

Last edited:
Associate
Nope I asked you a question, why do 'you' think that the 9900K will steam ahead as you put it, based on the fact that a 8700K (6c/12t is not fully used by GTA V) so a 9900K only really offers the extra boost clock speed, and once you hit 6 cores in GTA V extra cores add nothing, but IPC and clock speed will.

Let me ask you this, how relevant is 8 FPS or 12 FPS, or 14 FPS in a game that is 6 years old running at a resolution that is fast becoming outmoded, and is already hitting 170+ FPS?
I don't give a flying monkey myself, but I am sure there are niche edge case people that it matters to, and they will not rest until the injustice it rectified!

GTA V is a **** show to be fair, it will use 8 cores but how well it does nowadays I don't now.

To be clear here, I don't care if it's 5-10% slower in GTA. I think anything over 100Hz is diminishing returns and I'm running a GTX 1080 on a 3440x1440 panel. I'm probably not going to notice a difference when I go from a 4790K to a 3800X.

Someone asked why AMD were using a 2080 over a 2080Ti and I answered because that benchmark stood out to me and GTA is notoriously good on Intel.

Permabanned
@DragonQ well still month to time so could grab em. I had Viper elites on dual rank samsung b working at 3000cl14 like a dream just when ryzen came out !!! Always liked Patriot memory
https://www.funkykit.com/reviews/memory/patriot-viper-4-32gb-ddr4-3733-memory-kit-review/4/https://www.funkykit.com/reviews/memory/patriot-viper-4-32gb-ddr4-3733-memory-kit-review/4/

its 32gb kit but seen it around 100 quid delivered i dont think you can get anything better around the price. They overclock great :)

Thats the cheaper option otherwhise id get team group 8 pack ones but thats 40 quid more for 3600cl16

Soldato
GTA V is a **** show to be fair, it will use 8 cores but how well it does nowadays I don't now.

To be clear here, I don't care if it's 5-10% slower in GTA. I think anything over 100Hz is diminishing returns and I'm running a GTX 1080 on a 3440x1440 panel. I'm probably not going to notice a difference when I go from a 4790K to a 3800X.

Someone asked why AMD were using a 2080 over a 2080Ti and I answered because that benchmark stood out to me and GTA is notoriously good on Intel.

Fair enough, but personally I don't think that they would have anything to hide in that title, I would have been more suspicious about CS:GO tbh, as Intel are pushing that far harder than AMD.

I wouldn't worry either really, since we know that the CPU bottle neck will not exist for most people until around 2023 when an RTX 5060 Ti launches with speeds the same as the 2080 Ti. :D

Soldato
New BIOS and AGESA are much better, running 4 x 8GB 8 Pack sticks (32GB) at 3200 C14 no problems.

AGESA is the only flaw with AMD unfortunately . no love there from vendors. AMD release it to them with bare information and 50% of the time will effect their previous bios tweaks . BIOS for ryzen is a bit of a pain compared to intel.

hate seeing a lot of anger directed to board vendors when AGESA updates break something and most believe its vendors fault . needs a lot of Users to report the issue to be solves . like flying in the dark for them

X570 will most likely go through it, but hoping AMD are more on point and fewer are released due to not needing it :D

Soldato

If AMD gets to within 10% of Intel in games like GTAV and Fallout 4,which are not even patched for Ryzen,that would show how strong the CPU is IMHO,as its using its brute strength to power past any lack of optimisations.

Associate
Anyone think the 8, 12 and 16 core will overclock the same and therefore offer the same gaming perf?

Possibly, but then the 3800x is completely pointless. Do we know what fans all the CPUs will ship with yet? Maybe that is part of the reason for the price differences.

Taichi should be $269, but I am waiting for some confirmation as I was previously told that it would be ~£229. The nice thing about the ASRock boards is that the DIMM slots are in T-Topology layout so if you do add more RAM at a later date you won't be as limited in clock speed.

Does this mean (based one what we already know of t-topology) that 2 stick overclocks will be impacted at all?

Noob question from me here- if I want to slot in a 3000 series CPU into my x370, can I just update the BIOS using my current first gen CPU and then put the new CPU in after?

Caporegime
If AMD gets to within 10% of Intel in games like GTAV and Fallout 4,which are not even patched for Ryzen,that would show how strong the CPU is IMHO,as its using its brute strength to power past any lack of optimisations.

Need to wait for updated anti-scuffed HT on the Intel chips to compare in a non-misleading manner, i really dont get why they didnt install them when running the tests, surely it would have been a boon?

Soldato
Does this mean (based one what we already know of t-topology) that 2 stick overclocks will be impacted at all?

It is really hard to say, and given the improvement made with the IMC, I am sure we'll need a great deal more data from many independent sources to confirm that is or is not the case, and if it indeed matters, as once again latency could play a bigger part than frequency past a certain point.

Noob question from me here- if I want to slot in a 3000 series CPU into my x370, can I just update the BIOS using my current first gen CPU and then put the new CPU in after?
Yes. :)

Permabanned
x570 better be magical for overclocking
if not, thats a really bad value just for PCIE4.0
Well over eyars its been basically proven its up to vrm and bios rest is all the flashy stuff one does not need. How many tests iw seen when 200 pounds extra for top tier motherboard gave nothing or just few mhz extra over good medium one. Thats why I'm stickign with my 470x one power section is massive with me benching voerclocking ect cpu hitting 225-230wats constant draw in IBT for hours and hours and VRM's stay at like 60c :D
O and bios I'm on atm got pcie4 anyway :p

Soldato
LOL:
https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/1138435414421901312?s=19

Interesting: AMD run Intel machines (during Computex and E3) without software and firmware mitigations, in order to show how good its CPUs are. Also, the build of Windows 10 used was pre-May update (May update give a nice boost to Ryzen performance).

Need to wait for updated anti-scuffed HT on the Intel chips to compare in a non-misleading manner, i really dont get why they didnt install them when running the tests, surely it would have been a boon?

In case reviewers don't install them and people accuse AMD of lying??

Soldato
2700X or 3700X? How much better, real life wise?????????????????

It depends on what you are running?? AMD said a 15% IPC increase,so that plus any clockspeed increase?

Or sandbagging? They could get away with it (AMD), at the moment even without mitigations the new chips are dominating.. Come review day, ooops here is another surprise and even bigger jump in difference.
I would do it lol.

The problem is what if Intel pushes for tests without the mitigations?? This way AMD makes sure it is ahead of the curve.

Soldato
It depends on what you are running?? AMD said a 15% IPC increase,so that plus any clockspeed increase?

The problem is what if Intel pushes for tests without the mitigations?? This way AMD makes sure it is ahead of the curve.

This was the point, AMD showed their CPU's in the worst case scenario, they even showed them losing in games, however intels chips were in more favourable conditions, so AMD basically said "heres our new chips without extra stuff to make them faster, against the competitions best chips without the stuff that hinders their performance, heres some slides showing whats what, form your own opinions"

Now we all know most people with a 9900k are not applying those Intel security patches if all they do is game, everyone on Windows10 will eventually get those scheduler updates, they will boost those AMD scores between 6 and 16% im told.

Do we know what ram was being used? we have no info on PBO and XFR and if the chips can manually OC etc.. there is potentially nothing left on the table for those chips except the Win10 update to boost performance, but on the other hand there could potentially be a ton of OC headroom left untapped, we just dont know.

But we do know the new AMD stuff competes and more often than not beats Intels best in games without some additional enhancements that are easy to do :)

Back
Top Bottom