• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Man of Honour
thats a nice way to backpedal :), 'Therefore, in this incredibly simplistic example, it is cheaper to produce the cards using the smaller die.' But its not as your wrong. either way were done as this really cant go any further can it. :D

He is right! it is, nothing simplistic about it. Small dies are easier to produce and suffer less failures than large dies. It really is that simple. Take everything else away and two dies on the same node, one larger than the other and the larger one will have more failures / Dies not meeting the intended specifications.

Soldato
Okay thanks, as I am on the fence about the 5700XT Reference or RTX2070 Custom card atm.
The reference will be a horrible cooler, well for your ears at least, strange to put it up against 2070's unless your looking at blower 2070's for some sff build or sommot O_o

Soldato
Navi is the equivalent of AMD launching the Ryzen 1800X not at $500,but at $1000 since the Core i7 6950X was $1050. I mean I was not expecting Navi to be Polaris pricing but £360 for a RTX2060 competitor,5 months after it launched,doesn't make any sense.
So regardless of anything else maybe this will finally put an end to the "Nvidia evil greedy overcharging corp Vs AMD the peoples company, heros of gaming who charge a fair price for good performance"?

It seems to be AMD have totally gone nuts of the value front and at a te when Nvidia are seemingly getting prices a "bit" more sensible

Soldato
OP
I wonder will these cards (blowers) be as good as the blowers in vega56 flavour, when it comes to undervolting and tweaking. My vega 56 blower I had a few months ago, was fine with undervolting to keep temps down. Didn't sound bad at all. A slight whoosh of air but nothing that bad really. Stock was a different story with fan noise, but with tweaking, it was a great card and decent dB levels on the ears.

Associate
He is right! it is, nothing simplistic about it. Small dies are easier to produce and suffer less failures than large dies. It really is that simple. Take everything else away and two dies on the same node, one larger than the other and the larger one will have more failures / Dies not meeting the intended specifications.
sure about that are we?
https://semiengineering.com/nodes-vs-node-lets/

Caporegime
But the performance is only mid range, for prices that were high end only 4 years ago, sure it might be good price/performance on paper but who honestly really wants mid range performance ?
Me. I just don't want to pay £500 for it ;)

And mid-range performance shouldn't still be RX480 level. It should have moved on. Should ideally be 1070 to 1080 (non-Ti) level by now.

Soldato
I wonder will these cards (blowers) be as good as the blowers in vega56 flavour, when it comes to undervolting and tweaking. My vega 56 blower I had a few months ago, was fine with undervolting to keep temps down. Didn't sound bad at all. A slight whoosh of air but nothing that bad really. Stock was a different story with fan noise, but with tweaking, it was a great card and decent dB levels on the ears.

Apparently has a vapour champer.
Okay thanks, as I am on the fence about the 5700XT Reference or RTX2070 Custom card atm.

Why not wait for custom 5700XT then? It won't be that much delayed, probably they will be coming out on July 7th also.

Caporegime
We only have the image in videos/articles to go by but, IMO, it looks a bit better in terms of aesthetics to the previous ones (a la battleships :D).

Associate
Well people are idiots en masse. Individuals are great, but people are dumb.

Clearly you've missed the entire point of what I was saying. Nowhere was I talking about real production, nowhere was I talking about real numbers. I was merely and only giving a simplistic illustration to answer Chrisc's question about how smaller dies on a more expensive wafer can still net cheaper costs. That's it, nothing more. Now if you've interpreted that as some detailed guide into manufacturing then that's on you.

True true, but as I've said a few times, I wasn't talking about any real production, simply answering Chrisc's question.

To which i thank thee

Soldato
So regardless of anything else maybe this will finally put an end to the "Nvidia evil greedy overcharging corp Vs AMD the peoples company, heros of gaming who charge a fair price for good performance"?

It seems to be AMD have totally gone nuts of the value front and at a te when Nvidia are seemingly getting prices a "bit" more sensible

Nvidia are now the value champions(if you get a £300 RTX2060)!! :p

Nvidia must have been planning for something different with all these rumoured SUPER models. It would be hilarious if Navi launches into a midlife Turing refresh. It reminds me of the RX590 which was easily beaten by the GTX1660TI.Luckily AMD had to drop Vega 56 prices.

Associate
Apparently has a vapour champer.

Why not wait for custom 5700XT then? It won't be that much delayed, probably they will be coming out on July 7th also.

I'm upgrading my full system in one go, since one my GTX660Ti's failed, so I prefer to get everything at once.
I don't mind waiting an extra week or two for the after market coolers.

Back
Top Bottom