New case... new fans??? Lian Li 011 air.

Soldato
Is that different from their temps before you raised case fan temp curve? I'm guessing about the same. Did system run longer quietly before fan noise levels increased?

The last time I looked at temps was late march but the room was heated to about 20c so ambient temp was about the same and I was getting low 60's

The case fans aren't reaching max rpm now, about 500rpm less for all 3 fans so the noise is much more tolerable but still the sound signature of the fans doesn't quite sit well with me and I'm still tempted to swap them out but you've taught me that you just don't have your target temp matched to max rpm of you want a quiet(er) system

Soldato
We have both learned here. I expected that by increasing case fan speed you would get lower temps. That's why I asked what the temp differences were with changes .. so I could learn too. ;)

SmashBrown improved his temps by changing to PH-F120MP/F140MP fans. They are not as good /low noise as be quiet! Silent Wings 3 but are also much lower priced .. like half the price. Very few people are not happy with MPs, more people are not happy with F & P acoustics while MPs are pleasant to almost all ears. Seems Arctic F and P series fans are lowest priced with decent performance but now as pleasant sounding, Phantkes MP fans are better with low pleasant noise at only slightly more money in 2 & 3 pack speciels, and Silent Wings 3 are even better with even nicer sound but way more expensive. We can add Noctua NF-A12x25 and think they announced 140mm version at Computex.

Last edited:
Soldato
We have both learned here. I expected increasing case fan speed to lower temp more. That's why I asked what the temp differences were with changes .. so I could learn too. ;)

SmashBrown improved his temps by changing to PH-F120MP/F140MP fans. They are not as good /low noise as be quiet! Silent Wings 3 but are also much lower priced .. like half the price. Very few people are not happy with MPs, more people are not happy with F & P acoustics while MPs are pleasant to almost all ears. Seems Arctic F and P series fans are lowest priced with decent performance but now as pleasant sounding, Phantkes MP fans are better with low pleasant noise at only slightly more money in 2 & 3 pack speciels, and Silent Wings 3 are even better with even nicer sound but way more expensive. We can add Noctua NF-A12x25 and think they announced 140mm version at Computex.

I might be getting confused again, its easily done! Just to be sure, decreasing the case fan speed by raising the max RPM from 35C system temp to 45C has increased the CPU and GPU temps by about 3/4C

I'm willing to go for SW3 over the Phanteks if they are definitely quieter or have a more pleasant sound, I doubt the P series will be in my system much longer. Great value but not the best looking and not a pleasant sound to them for someone like me thats bothered by such things

Soldato
I might be getting confused again, its easily done! Just to be sure, decreasing the case fan speed by raising the max RPM from 35C system temp to 45C has increased the CPU and GPU temps by about 3/4C

I'm willing to go for SW3 over the Phanteks if they are definitely quieter or have a more pleasant sound, I doubt the P series will be in my system much longer. Great value but not the best looking and not a pleasant sound to them for someone like me thats bothered by such things
I like the smooth sound from MPs at higher speed. Obviously any fan above about 1100-1200rpm becomes audible, then it's all about the sound. I've only used SW3's once and found them very similar to MP's. I could just barely hear a tonal difference. Maybe buy a twin-pack of MPs and listen to them. That would be £14.99 or £16.26 for testing.

Associate
Am I right that the Alphacool Eiswind 12s are basically re-branded SW3s? Already have 3 of these with my 360LT and want some more fans to create push and pull without mis-matching the fans...

Soldato
Am I right that the Alphacool Eiswind 12s are basically re-branded SW3s? Already have 3 of these with my 360LT and want some more fans to create push and pull without mis-matching the fans...
No, not same fan.
SW3 120mm LP are PWM with max speed of 1450rpm and 50.5-80.47cfm and 1.9mm H2O pressure lift.
SW3 120mm HS are PWM with max speed of 2200rpm and 73.3-124.58cfm and 3.37mm H2O pressue lift.
Eiswind 12 is also PWM, but max speed is 1700rpm and 63.85cfm and 1.55mm H20 of pressure lift.

In my opinion either Silent Wings 3 are much better fan. Using SW3 HS to push air into rad would give you better performance than you now have. But be aware that using more powerful fans will also increase the noise level.

Associate
Many thanks Doyll, I had thought they were re-branded bequiet fans from what I had read, so was hoping to get some fans that matched the specs so I can go push/pull.

Might just go for SW3s x 6, although they do seem a little costly!

Associate
Actually think my case is 650D rather than 750D, but will be moving into a 011D, so looking to kit that out fully.

In the current case I have the corsair fans that came with it, 2 x 140 front intake and 3 x 120 (alphacool 360 LT) top intake, with one 120 corsair exiting.

In the new 011D build, I will go push/pull for the 360LT (6 x 120), 3 x 120 intake bottom and 3 x 120 exhaust top. May also go for another 360 rad in the top if the cpu and gpu are not cooled thouroughly by the 360 push pull rad.

Looking for quiet(ish) system, best performers for the money, and not that bothered about RGB.

I do already have the corsair fans, but I want to replace. I have the 3 x 120 Eiswind fans, so could look to source 3 more of these for the push/pull or just use this as bottom intakes and get 9 more, matching fans.

Shortlist:

• Artic P12 PWMs
  • Pure Wings
  • Eiswind 12s
  • PH F120 MP
Any other recommendations?

Soldato
Yes indeed ubiquity, Pure Wing 3 are expensive. If it was me I think I would get PH-F120MP for stacking. Are you sure stacking will improve temps much? While it will lower temps at lower fan speeds simply because stacking increases static pressure, at higher speeds any half decent fan makes enough pressure to overcome resistance, thus flow plenty of air .. meaning little to no increase in airflow. Stacking fans only increase airflow a little at full speed .. unless stock fans have very low pressure rating. Your Eiswind 12 make decent pressure at full speed, so I doubt higher pressure rated fans will flow a significantly higher amount of air unless the have a much higher cfm rating.
What EsaT said if you want budget fans. Decent quality, not as quiet/pleasant sounding as PH-F120MP. Stacking Artic P12 fans will definitly increase static pressure ratings.

Eiswind 12 is also PWM, but max speed is 1700rpm and 63.85cfm and 1.55mm H20 of pressure lift.
PHF120MP are PWM, with max speed of 1800rpm rated 53.3cfm and 1.72mm H20 of pressur lift.
They are £14.99 for a 2-pack
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...120mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-002-pt.html
Arctic P12 PWM model have a max speed of 1800rpm and 56cfm and 2.2mm H2O lift .. are out of stock at OcUK
Arctic P12 non-PWM have same specs.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-pwm-pst-black-fan-120mm-fg-04h-ar.html

I did not give noise ratings because they are not even remotely accurate to what we esperience in actual use. Testing dB rating is open air with no obstructions, and fans sound quite different in our applications.

Why are you contemplating stacking fans on your radiator? What is your system and what are your temps?

Associate
Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Currently while I wait for Ryzen 3000 to come out, I am running my 650D with both sides removed, so not a fair test of temperature.

Will be extending the Alphacool 360LT to run both the CPU and the GPU, as an intake on the side of the 011D, and considering running push / pull on this. If the temps are still a bit on the high side, would then incorporate another 360 rad to the loop (possibly top exhaust).

I want to have some cooling for the heatsink on the 1080Ti from the bottom (may mount this vertically as well, but not straight away), so was thinking 3 fans here as intake as well.

That works out as

6 x side intake (push/pull)
3 x botton intake
3 x top exhaust.

Will be quite a bit of positive pressure, but hoping that may mean a bit less dust than in my current setup!

Soldato
More intake than exhaust will help keep dust out, but 3x staked and 3x other vents intake and only 3x vents exhaust means case airflow will be limited by how much airflow can move through the 3x exhasut vents.

Associate
More intake than exhaust will help keep dust out, but 3x staked and 3x other vents intake and only 3x vents exhaust means case airflow will be limited by how much airflow can move through the 3x exhasut vents.

Maybe the balance is not quite right, but I was going for positive pressure knowning that there are other escape routes for air not via exhaust fans. I can also look to balance the airflow by turning down some of the intake fans...

Associate
@ubiquity

I don't think you've got a 650D, and you were correct in your original post that you was using a 750D. As the 650D does not have spacing to place 140mm fans at the front, only 1 200mm fan placement. The 750D however, has room for two 140mm fans at the front, which sounds like what you have.

As for your fan setup. What are the temps you are trying to combat? What noise are you looking to reach down to?

Soldato
Maybe the balance is not quite right, but I was going for positive pressure knowning that there are other escape routes for air not via exhaust fans. I can also look to balance the airflow by turning down some of the intake fans...
There is also rear vent over mobo I/O and if you removed PCIe slot covers you would have 1 more 120mm vent area. Removing PCie slot covers is quite common on air cooled rigs to improve front to back case airflow around GPU.

Associate
@ubiquity

I don't think you've got a 650D, and you were correct in your original post that you was using a 750D. As the 650D does not have spacing to place 140mm fans at the front, only 1 200mm fan placement. The 750D however, has room for two 140mm fans at the front, which sounds like what you have.

As for your fan setup. What are the temps you are trying to combat? What noise are you looking to reach down to?

I am wondering if infact it is a 450D. The 750D can mount a 140mm rear exhaust, and in my case its just a 120, with no room to expand to a 140.

I am just playing around with fans and layout to understand a bit more about it in all honesty. When I load up cs:go the blower on the 1080Ti takes off and I can hear nothing over it (thank god for good quality headphones!)

Associate
There is also rear vent over mobo I/O and if you removed PCIe slot covers you would have 1 more 120mm vent area. Removing PCie slot covers is quite common on air cooled rigs to improve front to back case airflow around GPU.

Thanks for the idea, I removed the slot covers to improve airflow, moved the 140s further forward, and corrected the exhaust so it is now actually an exhaust rather than a 6th intake!

g5H03au.jpg

Associate
I am wondering if infact it is a 450D. The 750D can mount a 140mm rear exhaust, and in my case its just a 120, with no room to expand to a 140.

In that case, I would imagine it is the 450D (and looking at that pic you just added, it does look more 450D than the rest). The only reason why I was so sure it's not the 650D, is because I'm in the middle of silencing my own one. So quite familiar with it (and what you can and can't do with it).

I am just playing around with fans and layout to understand a bit more about it in all honesty. When I load up cs:go the blower on the 1080Ti takes off and I can hear nothing over it (thank god for good quality headphones!)

Are you sure it's not just what that particular GPU does?

Looking at your setup there, I would add a few of my thoughts on the rig you have there.

I would say that it is impossible to get better cooling via air for your GPU without sacrifing something elsewhere. Noise, Dust (Positive/Negative Pressure), Higher CPU temps, Higher GPU temps, Fan Speeds.

If you add more fans as Intake (at the bottom I'm thinking, near the other Intake fans at the front of the case), then you could get a bit more Positive Pressure that helps with a bit of dust, but at the same time, that fan could end up disrupting the air coming in from the front of the case and heading towards the GPU and rear of the case. Depending on how severe this disruption is, you could end up inadvertently reducing cool air that reaches the bottom of the GPU in the PCI slot area. The only real way to know is testing with the fans you get unfortunately. As reference, in my 650D, I had fans at the front bringing in cool air and a rear fan Exhausting. My AIO at the top was tested in both Exhaust and Intake. Because of the fans I had, when set to Intake, the fans basically overpowered any airflow from the front to the rear, and caused temperatures to increase on the CPU and GPU, despite common sense suggesting otherwise. As well as causing a Hot Spot to develop in the corner of the case (Above the rear Exhaust fan, because it was unable to remove the hot air quickly enough). So in the end I left the Rad fans at the top as Exhaust, rather than as Intake (at the cost of better Positive Pressure, I ran into minor amounts of Negative Pressure instead). Depending on what fans you have, you may find that the Rad at the top being in Exhaust may yield better temps overall.

If the GPU is making that much noise, then if you want more silence, that'll be your main target to reduce noise generated first. But I'm not familiar with Nvidia cards, so I don't know how well or even if it is possible to Undervolt and maybe Underclock that GPU to reduce temps so the fans don't need to work as hard keeping it cool. Also, if you can control the fan on that GPU, work in some tests to get it working closer to its thermal limit (temperature the GPU throttles at) if that is possible. That should allow you to cut down on sound generated by it enough that any changes to the rest of your system should be more noticable. For reference: My RX580 was undervolted and the fan curve modified to cool the GPU just enough that it only reaches 83-85C during the recent hotter weather; The RX580 Thermal Limit before throttling is 90C. So by doing this I was able to let it run a bit hotter, but without the fan spinning up to crazy sound levels to keep it as cool. After doing this, I was able to slowly modify and silence the rest of the system since the noise they produced was no longer being drowned out by the GPU fan. (I was after silence over more performance)

But any info is really best tested out on your own rig to find the best results for your setup really. So do play around with the config of the fans more. As above, I found some common tips didn't work in my case (partly because of a bad case design). And normally ill advised suggestions worked better than preferred suggestions. So once you get your fans, don't automatically assume one setup is going to be best for your rig. :)

Soldato
First thing I would do is move CLC radiator to top vents, assuming it can be fit there.

That will allow room temp air to enter motherboard area of case instead of air being pre-heated by heat being transferred from coolant to air as it enters case. That and remove rear PCIe covers for more rear vent area and better front to back airflow around GPU.

Once that is done I would use mobo and GPU software to set fan to temp curves as low as you can and still keep things below max safe point of operation.

Back
Top Bottom