• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
You need to brush up on your Google Fu. :)

Many people have used these kits with great success not just me, Micron E-die is topping the world speed records alongside B-die from Samsung. A good balance between speed and timings is what works well for me, but it depends on your application and how the 3xxx react to improved latency and sub timings, they might not be anything like the 1xxx or 2xxx in those respects.

It's hardly a nightmare, it is all part of the overclocking game and is great fun. :)
Thanks for the tips, the Micron E-die looks promising and I'll probably go for one of those kits. Shame it isn't cheapest on the rainforest, since I have a £5 voucher I need to use before next week. :p

Soldato
Thanks for the tips, the Micron E-die looks promising and I'll probably go for one of those kits. Shame it isn't cheapest on the rainforest, since I have a £5 voucher I need to use before next week. :p

Well I'd watch for feedback from people if you aren't in a hurry, RAM prices are still falling so nothing to lose by waiting. :)

Associate
Did AMD, at any point, verbally state that they are showing worst case scenarios i.e. tests are being run without the mitigations on Intels CPUs? This is the killer blow that I wanted to hear but I didn't manage to catch the whole stream.

Soldato
Did AMD, at any point, verbally state that they are showing worst case scenarios i.e. tests are being run without the mitigations on Intels CPUs? This is the killer blow that I wanted to hear but I didn't manage to catch the whole stream.

Paul From Paul’s Hardware, and bits and chips state that’s what happened. AMD also didn’t run the latest windows update that improve AMD performance

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32785391/

I apologise if this sounds dumb but am I right in assuming a 105W TDP cpu doesn't draw a maximum of 105W? In other words, power consumption is not same as TDP.

Yeah it's not maximum power draw but the minimum
thermal dissipation requirement for the cooler.

Actual power draw is subjective and greatly varies.

For example Techpowerup have a 2700X with a TDP rating of 105w consuming up to 376w of power under maximum load (water cooled).

[EDIT] Totally system power draw at the power socket for clarification.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah it's not maximum power draw but the minimum
thermal dissipation requirement for the cooler.

Actual power draw is subjective and greatly varies.

For example Techpowerup have a 2700X with a TDP rating of 105w consuming up to 376w of power under maximum load (water cooled).

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Very much will, that's total system power in a gaming benchmark with obviously a discrete gpu.

Soldato
anyone seen the slide about pbo overboost or some sorts ? ads extra 200 mhz on top you can enable in bios of x570

EDIT : found it

starts 5:40 s

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m wondering at what point the SKU becomes too hot for a low profile 47mm HTPC cooler. The 65w chips probably but hmm I would love a 12c minimum to play with.

I stuck a Deepcool HTPC-200 on a 2600X last year for a friend, and it seemed to do fine. Was boosting to full 4.2GHz sustained and didn't deafen me, so I'd say you'd be ok to 95w, that extra 10w might make it a bit louder or you might lose some boost time/speed.

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/256443/...-motherboard-price-list-paints-a-horror-story

A reliable source based in Taiwan shared with us the price-list of upcoming AMD Ryzen 3000 X570 chipset motherboards by leading manufacturer ASUS. These MSRP prices in U.S. Dollars paint a grim picture of these boards being significantly pricier than previous-generation motherboards based on the AMD X470 chipset. We already got hints of AMD X570 motherboards being pricey when MSI CEO Charles Chiang, who is known for not mincing his words in public, made it clear that the industry is no longer seeing AMD as a value-alternative second-fiddle brand to Intel, and that AMD will use its performance leadership to command premium pricing for these motherboards, even though across generations, pricing of AMD processors are going to remain flat. The Ryzen 7 3700X, for example, is launching at exactly the same $329 launch price as the Ryzen 7 2700X.

Even MSI CEO Chiang's statement couldn't prepare us for the prices we're seeing for the ASUS motherboard lineup. The cheapest AMD X570 motherboard from ASUS is the Prime X570-P, which is priced at USD $159.99. Its slightly bolstered twin, the TUF Gaming X570-Plus will go for $169.99. A variant of this exact board with integrated Wi-Fi 6 will be priced at $184.99. This is where things get crazy. The Prime X570-Pro, which is the spiritual-successor of the $150 Prime X470-Pro, will command a whopping $249.99 price-tag, or a $100 (66 percent) increase! The cheapest ROG (Republic of Gamers) product, the ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, will ship with an HEDT-like $299.99 price. This is where the supposed "high-end" segment begins.

The ROG Strix X570-E Gaming is a slightly spruced-up Strix-F, with a handful more connectivity options, and an extra M.2 slot. This board will be priced at $329.99. And we're still with the "tier-two" ROG Strix family. The ROG Crosshair VIII Hero is what you'd want for the premium ROG experience, and a premium CPU VRM solution. This board is priced at $359.99, over $100 more than the Crosshair VII Hero. Need Wi-Fi? Pull out another Jackson for the $379.99 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi, which comes with 802.11ax WLAN.

Back
Top Bottom