The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
I actually had no idea this was a UK series. I'd only seen US episodes but if you check wikipedia, the series ran between 2004-2007 over here and only went to one place in Scotland (La Riviera renamed to Abstract, Inverness).

Associate
I actually had no idea this was a UK series. I'd only seen US episodes but if you check wikipedia, the series ran between 2004-2007 over here and only went to one place in Scotland (La Riviera renamed to Abstract, Inverness).

Yeah, the UK series was quite good compared to the US. Featured a local place (to me) in Nantwich, Cheshire. And didn't it reinvigorate* that place (in Brighton I think?), something to do with 'soul food'. Sure the owner used to say "put some soul in your bowl", or similar.

*edit - having Googled it to check, I'd better remove the word 'reinvigorate'

Caporegime
Yeah, the UK series was quite good compared to the US. Featured a local place (to me) in Nantwich, Cheshire. And didn't it reinvigorate that place (in Brighton I think?), something to do with 'soul food'. Sure the owner used to say "put some soul in your bowl", or similar.

Soul Food? The Jamaican place.

I tried going there after that episode aired, no chance. It was absolutely packed.

Caporegime
Her place ended up going out of business too. Shame really cause she could at least cook. I think she has her own YouTube channel now.

It was in bang centre of town, next to the Town Hall tucked away in the corner, so rent must have been really high. Once the hyped has died down it probably wasn't sustainable unless she put up the prices.

Soldato
I just made upside pineapple cake for the first time. Oh my ******* word, I'm so happy the way it turned out.:D Adding a few dollops of sour cream to the batter really increases the softness and moistness. I mean it's super moist, particularly from the caramelised sugar and butter glaze and juices.

Brightened.jpg

20190612-182108.jpg

Brightened2.jpg

20190612-182530.jpg

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I just made upside pineapple cake for the first time. Oh my ******* word, I'm so happy the way it turned out.:D Adding a few dollops of sour cream to the batter really increases the softness and moistness. I mean it's super moist, particularly from the caramelised sugar and butter glaze and juices.

Brightened.jpg

20190612-182108.jpg

Brightened2.jpg

20190612-182530.jpg

Tried it, followed everything precisely but unfortunately mine came out really heavy. The pineapples and caramel sunk into the cake to much I think. Wasn't cake'y at all.

Shame, was well looking forward to it.

Soldato
jKCfrS.jpg

mx7Huu.jpg

Weekend brunch at Scran. This weekends special was a salmon dish, which didn't appeal to me. So instead I ordered off the normal menu. I got the brioche bun, with Halloumi escalope, avocado, kimchi, spring onion and sriracha & truffle mayo. Been meaning to try this for a while. It was so damn good! And I also got some of their Scran fries. They come with smashed burger meat, cheese, secret sauce and crispy onions. Amazing! Love the secret sauce :D

uHloyN.jpg

After that big brunch I didn't have much appetite left. Even after a couple of cocktails at the Society Room, a Wetherspoons pub, I still wasn't very hungry. But I did have a BBQ pulled chicken, bacon and cheese panini. Nothing to write home about, but it was decent enough.

Soldato
Tried it, followed everything precisely but unfortunately mine came out really heavy. The pineapples and caramel sunk into the cake to much I think. Wasn't cake'y at all.

Shame, was well looking forward to it.

Hmm, that's a pity. Did you sift the flour? Also, I separated the egg whites, whisked them to firm peaks and folded them in last. I took that tip from Joy of Baking as it apparently makes the sponge lighter. Not sure how much actual difference it made but it might be worth trying next time and something I could have mentioned earlier.

When you say the pineapples and caramel sunk into the cake, do you mean it physically looked more sunken than in my pics? As far as the general texture, mine was very moist and soft, but I would also liken it to a syrup sponge pudding. I don't know if yours was like that? I don't think it's meant to be light in the same way as say a Victoria sponge type cake, it's definitely wetter and a bit more dense, but so yummy.

You could try reducing the amount of pineapple juice and caramel glaze, that might help keep it drier and lighter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom