• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Sweet mother of god, £700 for the Formula.

It was expected. Soon as we saw the Gigabyte and MSI pricing on their top boards. VRMs are far more expensive this round. Chipset is quite a bit more expensive. Most of the board production has been moved back to Taiwan (setup cost, higher labour costs etc) because of Trump's trade war. Because of all this extra expense, the mobo makers want some higher margins on top of all that. The mid price ASUS boards do appear to be very poor value though.

Also, with ASUS so far refusing to release board photos (without heatsinks etc), I'm not sure their designs will stack up so well, even at the high end .. that's an abnormal thing to do.

So for me they're at the bottom of the list so far.

AsRock, Gigabyte and MSI look good so far. Hopefully the Taichi remains good value.

Associate
How many generations will the x570 last? The b550 boards can't come fast enough and I may not even upgrade until they come out. It's either that or wait to see how the x470 boards handle everything.

Soldato
Taichi should be $269, but I am waiting for some confirmation as I was previously told that it would be ~£229. The nice thing about the ASRock boards is that the DIMM slots are in T-Topology layout so if you do add more RAM at a later date you won't be as limited in clock speed.

If Asrock have bios updates sorted out this time, I think I'm on for a Taichi too.
Last time, it was fine if you got the bios with everything you used working but it was a crapshoot as to what was fixed/broken with each release.

Soldato
How many generations will the x570 last? The b550 boards can't come fast enough and I may not even upgrade until they come out. It's either that or wait to see how the x470 boards handle everything.

Do you plan on overclocking at all? Do you need PCI-E 4.0 or plan to keep your system for a long time ~4-5 years and change anything in that time?

If the answer to those questions is no, then an X470 board is going to do exactly the same as an X570 board would, just costs less.

Soldato
Will be interesting to see if there is a backlash in reduced sales with all the crazy prices. Motherboards are not do bad for me as I keep them for a long time but I can see for frequent upgraders it could get expensive.

Soldato
Will be interesting to see if there is a backlash in reduced sales with all the crazy prices. Motherboards are not do bad for me as I keep them for a long time but I can see for frequent upgraders it could get expensive.

I doubt that there will be reduced sales, but what you might find is that people are way more selective in their board choice, and only commit to the features they will need or actually use, as opposed to buying something with all the bells and whistles that just sit and gather the proverbial dust. :)

Associate
Never paid more than £200 for a board ( except for x99 ) and I took that on the chin with it technically being hedt. But on consumer hardware not a chance. No way will I spend more than half what a CPU is worth on a board .

Back
Top Bottom