FTP Client

Associate
Hi All ,

Anyone got any expierence with FTP namely Filezilla?

for quite some time i have been able to download via the client at full speed appx 28MiB/s , but recently the speed maxes out at 3.5MiB/s when downloading a single file , however if i download multiple files at the same time they are all at 3.5MiB/s maxing out my full speed of 28MiB , but a single file will only do 3.5? never used to do this , what could be the problem? My ISP? the host where the files are kept or the client? been trying to combat it all day to no avail..

Soldato
Not untypical for a Virgin connection from what I've seen. In an ideal world, the two figures would be more-or-less the same.

If that is the problem there's probably not much you can do about it as you are receiving the speed advertised.

Have you checked with the FTP provider?

Have you tried a different FTP client?

Have you tried a different PC?

Associate
OP
So.... ive recently built a new rig , and last week went from 100mb virgin line to a 200mb virgin line , on my old rig and old 100mb line i never had a single issue , i was in contact with my ftp provider who said the test he run was blazing fast and couldnt find a fault , i have tried several ftp clients , and they all the giving the same speeds , can the single threaded speed be adjusted? or can it be altered in settings/software?

Soldato
The single threaded result is down to Virgin and their network. Nothing you can do about it directly.

Have you tried an FTP client that supports segmented file transfer (assuming your provider supports it)?

Associate
OP
I will call virgin tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do , I`m lost when it comes to segmented file transfers with ftp , but will look in to it now..

Associate
OP
So ive used Cuteftp pro ( Trial ) and used the segmented file transfers and it works , so thank you so much , bit of a ball ache though , will still call virgin tomorrow

Soldato
I use internet download manager (IDM) for most of my downloads. I believe it can also download from ftp clients too.

It's pretty good because lets say if you are downloading 1 big file, you can tell IDM to download it in multiple streams, then when its downloaded it'll combine them back up.

The program isn't free, though there is a free version to trial. It's one of the few programs Ive bought on the net in my lifetime.

I'm suggesting it because if the problem persists then by your own numbers it would create 3.5Mbps on multiple streams and you'd get your max download speed.

Back
Top Bottom