• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • Atomic Heart
  • Battlefield V
  • Control
  • Enlisted
  • Justice
  • JX3
  • MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
  • Metro Exodus
  • ProjectDH
  • Quake II
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
And then these four announced in the last 24 hours
  • Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • Watch Dogs Legion
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

You forget to added Cyberpunk 2077 to the list with ray tracing support! ;)

CD PROJEKT RED and NVIDIA Partner to Bring Ray Tracing to ‘Cyberpunk 2077’
gnw_logo.gif
Highly Acclaimed, Highly Anticipated Game Uses Real-Time Ray Tracing
June 11, 2019: 03:00 PM ET

LOS ANGELES, June 11, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- E3—NVIDIA and CD PROJEKT RED today announced that NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ is an official technology partner for Cyberpunk 2077 and that the companies are working together to bring real-time ray tracing to the game.

Cyberpunk 2077 won over 100 awards at E3 2018 and Gamespot calls it “one of the most anticipated games of the decade.” The game is the next project from CD PROJEKT RED, makers of the highly acclaimed The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which has won numerous “Game of the Year” awards. NVIDIA and CD PROJEKT RED have a long history of technology collaboration that spans more than a decade.

Cyberpunk 2077 is an incredibly ambitious game, mixing first-person perspective and deep role-playing, while also creating an intricate and immersive world in which to tell its story,” said Matt Wuebbling, head of GeForce marketing at NVIDIA. “We think the world of Cyberpunk will greatly benefit from the realistic lighting that ray tracing delivers.”

Ray tracing is the advanced graphics technique used to give movies their ultra-realistic visual effects. NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs contain specialized processor cores designed specifically to accelerate ray tracing so the visual effects in games can be rendered in real time.

“Ray tracing allows us to realistically portray how light behaves in a crowded urban environment,” says Adam Badowski, head of Studio at CD PROJEKT RED. “Thanks to this technology, we can add another layer of depth and verticality to the already impressive megacity the game takes place in.”

Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure story set in Night City, a megalopolis obsessed with power, glamour and body modification. You play as V, a mercenary outlaw going after a one-of-a-kind implant that is the key to immortality. You can customize your character’s cyberware, skillset and playstyle, and explore a vast city where the choices you make shape the story and the world around you.

E3 attendees will get a firsthand look at Cyberpunk 2077 at booth 1023 in the South Hall of the Los Angeles Convention Center. More details, as well as exclusive 4K screenshots featuring real-time ray tracing on PC, are available at www.nvidia.com.

https://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/globenewswire/7634462.htm

I am so SUPER excited with both Cyberpunk 2077 and Watch Dogs Legion has ray tracing support.

This is HUGE news. :D

Soldato
Let's be honest here most gamers today couldn't give a **** about Quake II. I am not sure why it was chosen as it looks total pants with or without RTX.
Quake II has been available with ray tracing enabled for years, it was (IIRC) the first game to get RT support and for years it has been a GPU destroying benchmark of what the tech can do and why it's the holy grail. Nvidia going after Quake II with RTX is a move aimed to impress people who already know of ray tracing (and have seen it in Quake 2 annihilate quad SLi/fire setups) into buying an RTX card if they haven't already.

Soldato
Hopefully they (CDPR) use it effectively. The effect lends itself well to Night City I think, but it looks really overdone in some of the other games that are going to implement it. Some of the surfaces in Control look terrible, imo.

Soldato
Hopefully they (CDPR) use it effectively. The effect lends itself well to Night City I think, but it looks really overdone in some of the other games that are going to implement it. Some of the surfaces in Control look terrible, imo.

New trailer for control

No confirmation - but in the Cyberpunk screenshot it's clearly using RTX reflections, possibly shadows too

Soldato
New trailer for control

No confirmation - but in the Cyberpunk screenshot it's clearly using RTX reflections, possibly shadows too

Yeah, it's exactly that video that I was thinking of. The reflections on the glass doors/windows look fine, and generally the effects are good. But one or two shots have a terrible high gloss to the floors in particular. Just not to my taste, I guess. The Cyberpunk shot looks great, so I hope that's a reflection (ho ho) of their general approach - realistic without turning up the shiny to 11 just for the sake of it.

Soldato
Soldato
Nothing there looking special, everything seems like it can be done by 'normal' means (with a lot more fps to boot!)

Let’s be clear

Everything that rayvtracing does can technically be done with traditional rasterisation - this is true now and will always be true.

You may not have realised this

The benefit of rayvtracing is time - to get the same image quality with rasterisation takes many fold longer. For example with Ray Tracing you add one light onto the ceiling of a scene and hit the RTX on button that’s it done. With rasterisation you have to place tens or hundreds of spot lights around the scene in very very specific locations and angles to get the lighting and shadows you want.

Because of the time involved - no one does this. Devs get lazy and add just a couple lights manually to the scene - that’s why RTX looks so much better, only because without RTX devs don’t have the time to manually placed a hundred light sources in every room of a giant open world.

Even Hollywood is now using it - even though the hardware requirements are higher - Ray Tracing saves so much time, that the extra hardware cost is far less than the extra labour cost they would have to pay to have people manually do the the lighting on each frame

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Everything that rayvtracing does can technically be done with traditional rasterisation - this is true now and will always be true.

Not really - there are vast limits when it comes to shadows that can only be solved with a proper application of physics - which means mimicking actual physics, etc. you can fake up things like indirect lighting but they will always be very limited and never look correct without actually tracing through the scene - no amount of placing hundreds of light sources will allow you to replicate bounced illumination from a moving light source or moving geometry, etc.

Same with things like reflections - mapping things that aren't in the scene means some kind of off screen rendering to a buffer which usually means having lots of static positions to render a camera from to capture possible angles and you can only cover so many positions so reflections tend to snap from position to position as they update anything that isn't in the current screen space and some reflections are basically impossible to do with traditional rendering - while you can fake it up it is kind of like 60Hz versus 120+Hz once you see them done properly the old way will always stand out as fake and limited.

Soldato
Not really - there are vast limits when it comes to shadows that can only be solved with a proper application of physics - which means mimicking actual physics, etc. you can fake up things like indirect lighting but they will always be very limited and never look correct without actually tracing through the scene - no amount of placing hundreds of light sources will allow you to replicate bounced illumination from a moving light source or moving geometry, etc.

Same with things like reflections - mapping things that aren't in the scene means some kind of off screen rendering to a buffer which usually means having lots of static positions to render a camera from to capture possible angles and you can only cover so many positions so reflections tend to snap from position to position as they update anything that isn't in the current screen space and some reflections are basically impossible to do with traditional rendering - while you can fake it up it is kind of like 60Hz versus 120+Hz once you see them done properly the old way will always stand out as fake and limited.

The problem with RT atm is when i am playing a game i am not looking to see how authentic the lighting or reflections are. If my eyes think it looks authentic and my fps is way higher then the majority won't care. Long before RTX there was plenty of games where the lighting looked great and if i wanted to could see my reflection in a mirror. Until RT can be done without a huge hit on performance it's a no show for me. Being on 4k atm it's probably a long way off for me esp0ecially with me not wanting to spend over £1k on a gpu to get somewhere close. Even spending that money gets you nowhere close to being close to full on ray tracing. The vast majority of PC gamers don't even come close to even my gaming setup so while it's nice to see it coming into PC gaming it's a pipe dream for the majority of us.

Man of Honour
The problem with RT atm is when i am playing a game i am not looking to see how authentic the lighting or reflections are. If my eyes think it looks authentic and my fps is way higher then the majority won't care. Long before RTX there was plenty of games where the lighting looked great and if i wanted to could see my reflection in a mirror. Until RT can be done without a huge hit on performance it's a no show for me. Being on 4k atm it's probably a long way off for me esp0ecially with me not wanting to spend over £1k on a gpu to get somewhere close. Even spending that money gets you nowhere close to being close to full on ray tracing. The vast majority of PC gamers don't even come close to even my gaming setup so while it's nice to see it coming into PC gaming it's a pipe dream for the majority of us.

While full scene, full resolution ray tracing is some way off yet - the denoiser they are using in the Quake 2 RTX implementation is actually pretty impressive and allows the emulation of a significantly higher ray count - Quake 2 RTX is not just doing reflections but also using path tracing for global illuminations, caustics, etc. while somewhat primitive it is a much better start than people are allowing for and I don't think we are many GPU generations from having the horse power to emulate the kind of ray tracing level seen in movies, etc. at 4K with playable framerates without having to brute force render millions of rays.

Back
Top Bottom