• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I doubt that there will be reduced sales, but what you might find is that people are way more selective in their board choice, and only commit to the features they will need or actually use, as opposed to buying something with all the bells and whistles that just sit and gather the proverbial dust. :)

True. I may not be typical as I look for all the features that I may need over the next 5 years along with upgrade potential. X570 has a lot of that, multiple m.2, PCIE 4.0, potential to take a 16C CPU, high build quality. I think a good board now will easily last a number of upgrades of CPU, GPU and NVMEs

Associate
How many generations will the x570 last? The b550 boards can't come fast enough and I may not even upgrade until they come out. It's either that or wait to see how the x470 boards handle everything.

I think we're likely to see AM4+ in either 2020 or 2021. Because I expect AMD to do DDR5 and potentially PCIe 5.0 as soon as they can.

But DDR5 is going to be very expensive in the early days, and potentially not much higher performance than DDR4 in the enthusiast / HEDT segment ... it will definitely make sense in the ECC space.

So I'd expect all Zen 3 or Zen 4 chips (depending on which one starts with DDR5) to do both DDR4 and DDR5.

Soldato
The heatsinks, the white on black traces and lettering, the fan, the crappy lighting and it looks cheap...apart from those it's OK I suppose.
And how is that different from most motherboards having all that plastic garbage sabotaging cooling and more ADHD colours lights than Las Vegas?
And of course even more useless "art" printed on top of everything and artificially bloating prices per actual features/quality.

I think we're likely to see AM4+ in either 2020 or 2021. Because I expect AMD to do DDR5 and potentially PCIe 5.0 as soon as they can.
It's more likely to be AM5 to go hand in hand with DDR5 memory.

PCIe v5.0 is again something which would no doubt make X570 prices looks cheap!
When already v4.0 is such royal pain to get working needing more expensive PCB construction+re-timers etc, PCIe v5.0 is going to be even harder.

Associate
Again, what's the reasoning behind AMD using a RTX 2080? It only benefits them to do so and it's disappointing.

Might just be that optics of using a card that soundly trounces anything AMD can produce, at a gaming event where they announced graphics cards, would be abysmal. The VII is at least somewhere near the 2080.

Soldato
Soldato
I must have missed it, but what's the point having massively more frames than the refresh rate. Won't screen tear be horrendous, especially on something as dated as csgo?

Soldato
I must have missed it, but what's the point having massively more frames than the refresh rate. Won't screen tear be horrendous, especially on something as dated as csgo?

There's a few things to consider and a lot of misspoken information about the subject out there. Here's a few rough points.
1) FPS below the refresh rate without VRR enabled can cause tearing as well.
2) the higher the fps is above the refresh rate the less noticeable the tearing becomes as each tear is smaller in relation to the others. Some still find it an eye sore while others like myself can completely ignore it once it goes above a certain threshold.
2) Higher framerate usually leads to better input latency. CS:GO is an example of this, Overwatch to. I actually find Overwatch worse in this category, might just be a placebo effect as i have no hard evidence to back it up. I think this is something AMD is trying to combat with their newly branded ANTI LAG feature.. So lower fps shouldn't feel as terrible when used in conjunction with VRR.

Associate
And how is that different from most motherboards having all that plastic garbage sabotaging cooling and more ADHD colours lights than Las Vegas?
And of course even more useless "art" printed on top of everything and artificially bloating prices per actual features/quality.

It's more likely to be AM5 to go hand in hand with DDR5 memory.

PCIe v5.0 is again something which would no doubt make X570 prices looks cheap!
When already v4.0 is such royal pain to get working needing more expensive PCB construction+re-timers etc, PCIe v5.0 is going to be even harder.

The point of an AM4+ would be to be compatible with both DDR5 and DDR4. First gen DDR5 CPUs will almost certainly be compatible with DDR4. It'll be too expensive and supply too weak, with initial speeds and timings not all that attractive to enthusiast / HEDT.

I can't imagine DDR5 DIMMs are going to be pin incompatible with DDR4?

Associate
Anyone had a look at how the CCX aware windows scheduler is looking yet? Just upgrading now...

Doubt there will be any improvement beyond 1903 for a while.

I can't imagine MS will make it worse for Zen 2 ... I don't think they could swing that given that they've had access to it for ages, and it's going in XB Next.

Associate
Also you're thrashing your card for no reason... the coils man.

You're probably right. I don't play csgo much anymore so I'm not thrashing it very often at least :D

What would GSync do when your FPS exceeds refresh rate? Adaptive refresh rate improves perceived smoothness when FPS is below max refresh.

In CSGO I'm not really sure honestly, the only reason I say that is because if I play Apex without G-sync I will get screen tear so I assume that it would help.

Back
Top Bottom