HP ProBook 4740s OS confused?

DMH

DMH

Associate
Hi all,

I have been given the above laptop however it has some history.

It presently shows the OS as Win 10 pro, a sticker on the back states Pro Win 8, but the sticker is the small square one that is normally below the keyboard.

The owner seems to recall it has been upgraded, hence moving the win 8 sticker to the rear and leaving OS ad Win 10 pro.

Despite my best efforts I cannot get on with Win 10 but, I do have my own WIN 7 ultimate discs both 32 and 64 bit versions, this laptop is 64 bit.

If I completely wipe the hard drive will the hardware support win 7?

I do have an external disc drive I can plug into to get the softwsre loaded......assuming it is going to work?

Your thoughts?

Many thanks

DMH

DMH

DMH

Associate
OP
OK an update (no pun intended), I went for a full system reset, the outcome is the 'about' this PC shows it as Win 10 pro.

So, either the sticker is a red herring or the upgrade that was recalled by the PO was actually a completely new install?

Confused?

Your thoughts please.

DMH

Soldato
I'd stick it out with Windows 10 if you want some advice.

It won't hurt going back to W7 though.

What is the actual spec of the laptop? There are numerous spec configurations of the 4740s.

DMH

DMH

Associate
OP
Hi and thanks for the reply,

I will try to upload a picture but unsure how? I do not see the option to upload, perhaps as a new member I have yet to earn that facility?

What would you consider to be important parameters that would prevent win 7 being loaded?

DMH

Soldato
I had a 4740 back when they came out, it came with W7 pro and while MS were doing the free 10th upgrades I took advantage. Def dont go near w8, it's up there with windows millennium.

Soldato
Hi and thanks for the reply,

I will try to upload a picture but unsure how? I do not see the option to upload, perhaps as a new member I have yet to earn that facility?

What would you consider to be important parameters that would prevent win 7 being loaded?

DMH

There is no upload feature. You will need to screenshot and upload to an image hosting website and then link it in a forum post with
tags.

DMH

DMH

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the replies, there is no way I want WIN 8/8.1/10 ect, I have a WIN7 ultimate disc which will be fine for my needs.

Further research shows the BIOS can be set to run WIN7, the confusion as to whether this is an 8 or 10 from the factory is still there however, so unsure if this will alter the steps needed to complete the the conversion?

DMH

Soldato
I've 4 identical laptops at home, all with win 7 stickers on, one is windows 7, one is Kali, one is Arcolinux and the other is about to be CentOS.

stickers mean nothing, just what the laptop should have come with from the factory. Chances are, it had the free Win 10 upgrade at some point as a fresh install.

Also, as much as I love win 7, it really is time to move on as you won't get used to it if you don't keep using it.

Back
Top Bottom