*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Large Onion
Beef Stock + Thyme (I also added some Brandy)

Cheese (what ever you fancy)
Sage

Peel the onion, cut a well in the top (Guess this depends on the size of your onion) and fill it with the beef stock and poor over the onion as well.

Set the barbie to 175-200 cook them for 2 2.5 hrs filling up the well if required of more stock and baste the rest of the onion, last 10 mins before your ready to go drop on the cheese around the top of the well and sprinkle with the sage.

Really easy.

Associate
Looking for a sense check as I've probably the largest crowd to date expected for a BBQ with about 20 adults plus a gaggle/murder of children. Was thinking 3kg each of pork shoulder and brisket plus sausages, burgers and about 2kg of differing marinaded chicken would be enough, sound about right?

Soldato
Depending on what the crowd like, I'd be tempted to just go big time overkill on sausages and burgers that you can then freeze in case you have too many. I'd also think about a second pork shoulder if you've got the smoking capacity for it, as anytime I do pulled pork there's never any left and I've never had 20 people. And it's amazing for leftovers of course.

Associate
Thanks, yeah on the sausage and burger front I've got enough for 2 each which is what I normally do which always gives left overs, besides they're also the cheaper elements of the cooking.

My hope was 1 of each on pork and brisket would be enough, I think I can fit the beef and pork on the BBQ at the same time but doubt 3 joints would fit, this is on a webber master touch. That said due to timing and space I'm likely to give a higher temp smoke start on them then finish in the oven on low where they'll also keep warm.

Soldato
You guys seen this?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grillrescue/grill-rescue-the-worlds-best-grill-brush

I like the idea but I cringed when I saw them putting lighter fluid on the coals :eek: Pretty expensive too! Anyone see anything like this in the UK?
Not really practical for charcoal unless you meticulously clean at the end of the cook while your grates are all still hot. Which is sort of when you want to be eating your food instead. And your indirect zones won't be that hot so you'll need to swap them around etc.

I give mine a super quick brush down when I finish cooking to remove any big chunks, but do a proper clean just before I put new food on and the BBQ is really hot so it all comes off clean. Obviously can't using a dripping wet steam cleaner over freshly lit coals so it's a flat no for charcoal.

I continue to use my wire brush because contrary to what that website says, it does work and very well too. I live in a tiny bit of fear of some wire coming loose and getting eaten it's true, but it seems really solidly made and I do give the grills a visual after cleaning.

Soldato
Going camping at the end of the month with a fairly big group.

One of the guys have mentioned he is bringing his fold up pocket bbq. I'm bringing two of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Cobb-Starter-including-Carry/dp/B001B2OR8M

and the much larger version + accessories. I am planning to slow roast on one, while having the others on the go doing stuff for the vegetarians + accompanying dishes. Plenty of room + can use the 'moat' on these to put beer/water to steam food/stop it drying out or even cook veggies in the fat that drips into it.

Soldato
Very tempted by the offers on the Master Touch GBS 57cm for £229. Would be a first venture into "proper" BBQing for me - we had a cheapo kettle but the legs fell off (due to rust) when I got it out of the shed at Easter :D

Have read the posts above about the hinged lid being a bit rubbish - should I consider anything else for the same money?

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Very tempted by the offers on the Master Touch GBS 57cm for £229. Would be a first venture into "proper" BBQing for me - we had a cheapo kettle but the legs fell off (due to rust) when I got it out of the shed at Easter :D

Have read the posts above about the hinged lid being a bit rubbish - should I consider anything else for the same money?
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and managed to finally use it last weekend. The hinged lid took quite a bit of playing with to sit well, and I'm still not 100% satisfied with it. May end up swapping the spring positions around as that's supposed to help...

Certainly impressed with it though :D

Caporegime
So my dad loves a barbecue and during the summer could have one once a week but he's never really branched out from sausages, burgers and Chicken pieces. These are great, but I want to get him to do a bit more. He recently bought what looks like one of these except it only comes with one detachable shelf and doesn't have the chimney. It's a decent size so I was going to get him something to expand his barbecue horizons a little for a kind of fathers day gift, although at the end of the month! Can anyone recommend something? Ideally less than £50, lower is better though!

Associate
He might be able to smoke in that indirect. You could get him a dual thermometer (keeps track of bbq and meat temp). I think inkbird ones are relatively well reviewed at that price point. Maybe then some bbq books, the DJ BBQ one is pretty good as is the Korean bbq one (the latter can require a fair bit of initial prep for the marinades). Could also get a few wood chunks as well so he will be all set to try ribs or pulled pork.

Last edited:
Soldato

The Master Touch is a great piece of kit, the're really versatile. I wouldn't bother looking at anything else and just get one of those. :) The hinged lid only comes on the Premium version, but the lack of a hinge on my MT has never really been an issue for me.

Soldato
Saw a Himalayan pink salt stone slab for sale in the local garden center. Saw it recently in a video and thought they were the sort of trendy new thing that probably costs a small fortune... apparently not!

They do seem a bit gimmicky but also a lovely thing to cook on when you are in the great outdoors, so i am bringing it camping to use on one of the BBQ's or even the campfire.

Soldato
Saw a Himalayan pink salt stone slab for sale in the local garden center. Saw it recently in a video and thought they were the sort of trendy new thing that probably costs a small fortune... apparently not!

They do seem a bit gimmicky but also a lovely thing to cook on when you are in the great outdoors, so i am bringing it camping to use on one of the BBQ's or even the campfire.
Got one of these for my birthday last year but still not used that. Will have to give it a go soon, let me know if you have some success with yours.

Associate

I recently got the Weber with the hinged lid. Not had any problems just spend a bit of time adjusting it properly during assembly. Have also seen a "fix" should you need it. LINK

Back
Top Bottom