Over 75s now pay for TV license

Soldato
I'd like to start a petition getting rid of the TV licence altogether, BBC is getting worse daily, why not make them find their own funds.

Soldato
It should be opt in and behind a pay wall like Netflix, Amazon, Sky, NowTV etc... Then it's down to choice not fear of prosecution.

They won't do it because it will be the end of the BBC.

Soldato
I'd be curious to know which age-group the largest BBC viewer base consists of?

Presumably TV licence fee's subsidise other BBC services like radio?

Before I tar all pensioners with the same brush...

Man of Honour
I love people pretending they don't watch TV....

What most people really mean is that they don't watch live broadcasts or a TV program being broadcast now.
I used to make a note of people who used to claim not watching TV then I'd look out for them in 'what series are you watching' or 'what film did you watch last night' etc.
They also have no high horse to sit on because they talk about Netflix or Amazon Prime or even sit all night watching a TV screen while they play games.
Even the bloke claiming he only watches You Tube is watching TV so no sitting on his high horse either.
However I've lived in this house since 1983 and I can confirm that the bloke who lives next to me has never had a TV or radio and his phone isn't a smartphone.

For a lot of OAPs it's all they really have. To scrap this is awful in my books.

My Mum has no quality of life, she basically can't move from a chair and is on 24/7 oxygen, the TV is a lifeline.

Soldato
The petition "Continue to fund free TV licences for the over 75 in the future." has now reached over 23'000, hopefully will get to over 100'000 by 17th June for consideration to be debated in Parliament.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/234627

Have you seen the 'debates' on these petitions though? It'll be dismissed in a few seconds, with the smack down that this is a decision for an independent BBC and government does not get involved in BBC licence fee policy.

Soldato
Have you seen the 'debates' on these petitions though? It'll be dismissed in a few seconds, with the smack down that this is a decision for an independent BBC and government does not get involved in BBC licence fee policy.

I was thinking earlier maybe they could change the threshold at which pension credit kicks in. Maybe the threshold should be such that if you qualify for any of the other means tested benefits like assistance with NHS costs then you'd qualify for the pension credit. They could call it Universal Pension Credit.

Soldato
I was thinking earlier maybe they could change the threshold at which pension credit kicks in. Maybe the threshold should be such that if you qualify for any of the other means tested benefits like assistance with NHS costs then you'd qualify for the pension credit. They could call it Universal Pension Credit.

Decisions of a few £ will cost billions over the course of a parliamentary term. Don't hold your breath.

Soldato
Decisions of a few £ will cost billions over the course of a parliamentary term. Don't hold your breath.

Still cheaper for government if they put some of the 3.x million over 75s into qualifying for some nominal amount of pension credit like 50p a month and the BBC foots the cost of the free licences. Looks good for the elderly Tory voters :D

Soldato
I think you're missing the point though. It won't be cheaper for the government, as they've already taken the decision to pass this over to the BBC.

Not every pensioner is a Conservative voter, especially those on benefits...

Caporegime
Gary Linekar's £1.75m salary alone would pay for 11,000 over 75's to have a TV license, someone on a fraction of that salary could do just as good a job if not better presenting MOTD. They're basically urinating money up the wall for famous names.

Soldato
Gary Linekar's £1.75m salary alone would pay for 11,000 over 75's to have a TV license, someone on a fraction of that salary could do just as good a job if not better presenting MOTD. They're basically urinating money up the wall for famous names.

Should every BBC employee be put on minimum wage then? There must be loads of people out there who could do just as good a job for the fraction of the salary.

Actually, that's a great idea, I'll take it in to work tomorrow.

Soldato
TV licensing is unfair on everyone. I don't pay and will not pay as I don't watch TV.

Just tell every person approaching octogenarian age screw them and don't worry.;)

Soldato
Should every BBC employee be put on minimum wage then? There must be loads of people out there who could do just as good a job for the fraction of the salary.

Actually, that's a great idea, I'll take it in to work tomorrow.

I think the difference is it's meant to be a public service. We don't have far more deserving individuals in other public services getting even a fraction of those salaries for doing far more skilled jobs.

Associate
privatise it leave it too market forces if it can't survive so be it. most of it's complete ***** anyway.

it's hardly essential too the nation unlike steel production that's about to be flushed down the toilet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the difference is it's meant to be a public service. We don't have far more deserving individuals in other public services getting even a fraction of those salaries for doing far more skilled jobs.

Its not a public service its a corporation. Go figure just in it for the money.

Back
Top Bottom