Fractal Design Define R6

Associate
Perfect. Found it.

3 fans and his hottest drive was roughly <10 degrees above ambient, top closed.

Little peeved at having to buy additional brackets but going to pull the trigger anyway ;)

Thanks for the help.

Associate
Settled on the Node 804 as a NAS enclosure but it seems to have HDD mounting issues with large capacity drives :rolleyes:

Anyone stuffed the R6 full of HDD's yet?

Keen to hear drive temps; hoping they can remain cool with fans at low(ish) rpm.
I use an 804 with 6 x 8TB ironwolf drives with no issues apart from cabling needs a bit a patience and 3 Sata power leads used

Associate
I use an 804 with 6 x 8TB ironwolf drives with no issues apart from cabling needs a bit a patience and 3 Sata power leads used

Are they secure with only two screws or did you have to modify the cage?

I currently use the 304 and getting in and doing anything drive related is a pain. I can imagine the 804 is the same.

Associate
That's good to know.

Fractal responded to my email regarding the 804 brackets.

They are willing to ship hdd adapters foc but was warned it could take up to 2 months. :eek:

Associate
Can someone please measure the psu shroud width?
Just need to know if I can fit a mini-ITX mother board on top of that.

This:
168930_EDB2A273-F6D2-4969-887C-79BEFAF059C6.jpeg

I’m building a new pc for unRaid (NAS/Plex server), windows VM (gaming) and macOS VM (day use). My plan is to build everything in the R6 so I got 2 ideas:

1) Threadripper build with GPU passthrouth and VMs (my initial plan)
2) 2 pcs in the same case. Using mini-ITX motherboards (1 running unRaid with pcie SATA controller and 1 running windows/mac with dedicated GPU)

Many people say not to do NAS and gaming on the same system because of instability and power consumption (would be running 24/7), that’s what got me thinking about the second plan (could turn the windows one off when not in use), but I still need to figure out how to adjust pwm case fans to fallow the load of the 2 boards.

Associate
Can someone please measure the psu shroud width?
Just need to know if I can fit a mini-ITX mother board on top of that.

This:
168930_EDB2A273-F6D2-4969-887C-79BEFAF059C6.jpeg

I’m building a new pc for unRaid (NAS/Plex server), windows VM (gaming) and macOS VM (day use). My plan is to build everything in the R6 so I got 2 ideas:

1) Threadripper build with GPU passthrouth and VMs (my initial plan)
2) 2 pcs in the same case. Using mini-ITX motherboards (1 running unRaid with pcie SATA controller and 1 running windows/mac with dedicated GPU)

Many people say not to do NAS and gaming on the same system because of instability and power consumption (would be running 24/7), that’s what got me thinking about the second plan (could turn the windows one off when not in use), but I still need to figure out how to adjust pwm case fans to fallow the load of the 2 boards.

Solved... 17,5cm (7in)

Associate
Very happy with the build quality of mine. The only complaint I have, and it's very slight, is the top dust filter panel is slightly awkward to put back in as it lifts at either end as you push it down. But it's still easy to put back.

I suggest you look at Gamers Nexus review of it on youtube, it's quite thorough.

Coming from my old Silverstone FT02, a very well built tank of a case, I was just as happy with this.

Associate
Very happy with the build quality of mine. The only complaint I have, and it's very slight, is the top dust filter panel is slightly awkward to put back in as it lifts at either end as you push it down. But it's still easy to put back.

I suggest you look at Gamers Nexus review of it on youtube, it's quite thorough.

Coming from my old Silverstone FT02, a very well built tank of a case, I was just as happy with this.

It sounds like it is a lot better built than my Corsair case then.

I just find that this Corsair case doesn't feel that solid when I move it around when I'm cleaning it.

Soldato
Has anyone fitted a 240mm radiator to the bottom of this case?

I've got 2 x 240mm AIOs. One for the CPU and one for the GPU. The pipes for the GPU AIO aren't very long so I'm limited to mounting it in the top or the bottom of the case. I'd prefer to mount in the bottom of the case but it doesn't seem to fit because of the PSU. The manual suggests you can fit a 240mm radiator in the bottom but not sure how you can with the PSU there.

Associate
Has anyone fitted a 240mm radiator to the bottom of this case?

I've got 2 x 240mm AIOs. One for the CPU and one for the GPU. The pipes for the GPU AIO aren't very long so I'm limited to mounting it in the top or the bottom of the case. I'd prefer to mount in the bottom of the case but it doesn't seem to fit because of the PSU. The manual suggests you can fit a 240mm radiator in the bottom but not sure how you can with the PSU there.

You can fit a 240mm but you need a physically small power supply. I have a long 1300w Antec PSU and a 140mm rad infront of it. It only just fits. When you consider the amount of space you need for the cables to connect to, and come out of the power supply, you're talking at least 3-4cm extra to allow the cables to come out and bend off to whichever direction you want them to go in.

A 240 is considerably longer than the 140 I have, obviously, so if you have a normally sized PSU I think you may be out of luck unfortunately.

Soldato
You can fit a 240mm but you need a physically small power supply. I have a long 1300w Antec PSU and a 140mm rad infront of it. It only just fits. When you consider the amount of space you need for the cables to connect to, and come out of the power supply, you're talking at least 3-4cm extra to allow the cables to come out and bend off to whichever direction you want them to go in.

A 240 is considerably longer than the 140 I have, obviously, so if you have a normally sized PSU I think you may be out of luck unfortunately.

Yeah I kinda figured that was the case as I was struggling to get it to fit because of the cables. I ended up sticking the 240mm GPU radiator at the top of the case.

Associate
Overall very happy with the case. It's a compact case so some places on the motherboard aren't easily accessible. For example the top of the case where you might find the cpu fan connector cannot be accessed unless you remove the rad panel from the top. Not an issue as I won't need to touch unless I'm installing something new.

One thing that's bugging me though is that the top panel with the rad installed leaves a gap a the front of the case. Surely this will draw in dust?

I almost bought the case until i saw that....

Dust is quite a major factor for me. Its a pity cause this case ticked all boxes.... almost... =/

Associate
I've just got this case. I've switched it to the open position and I've been left with all the 3.5 hard drive cages I won't use. Is there are market for people buying these or shall I just add to the pile of junk gathering in my loft.

Soldato
I've just got this case. I've switched it to the open position and I've been left with all the 3.5 hard drive cages I won't use. Is there are market for people buying these or shall I just add to the pile of junk gathering in my loft.

Methanoid on here was looking for some but that was last year, maybe he can post here.

Soldato
hi guys, planning a new rig for the summer (it's been ten years since i had a pc!). Is the fractal r6 worth the extra 50 quid over the corsair 275q? I like the minimal look of both. I'll probably be pairing with a next gen ryzen and a mid range gfx card. And 2 or 3 ssd's. I intended to order the case pretty soon..

Associate
hi guys, planning a new rig for the summer (it's been ten years since i had a pc!). Is the fractal r6 worth the extra 50 quid over the corsair 275q? I like the minimal look of both. I'll probably be pairing with a next gen ryzen and a mid range gfx card. And 2 or 3 ssd's. I intended to order the case pretty soon..

Can not comment on the corsair build quality but in 30+ years of building many computers for myself and others the R6 is probably the best all round case I have built a system into. Build quality is very high and layout makes working inside stress free. I have 2, one setup so I can use all the 3.5 drive bays as a file server and one as a gaming machine with that panel set to the back. Both machines are barely audible at idle.

Soldato
Can not comment on the corsair build quality but in 30+ years of building many computers for myself and others the R6 is probably the best all round case I have built a system into. Build quality is very high and layout makes working inside stress free. I have 2, one setup so I can use all the 3.5 drive bays as a file server and one as a gaming machine with that panel set to the back. Both machines are barely audible at idle.
that's good to hear, thank you. I think I'm leaning towards the R6...the reviews are extremely good all round it seems.

Back
Top Bottom