WhatsApp - The hell of moving from iPhone to Android!!

Permabanned
I have been setting up my 7 Pro for the last week and getting used to it, I have been on iPhone for 5 years. Last thing to do was put my sim in the 7 Pro and setup WhatsApp.

Wow, never occurred to me that its not easy! I tried Wazzap Migrator which didn't work and now I paid for Dr.Fone which is still trying to migrate 12 hours later.

If I cant do this I am going to have to stay on iPhone as my life is on WhatsApp.

Anything else to try?

Soldato
WhatsApp used to backup to their own servers, some years ago they switched to using google drive and icloud..

Blame apple all you want but the blame lies firmly in WhatsApp’s basket

Soldato
WhatsApp's model basically involves them storing the bare minimum they have to on their servers. They don't even store messages - which is one of the reasons why WhatsApp Web requires you to use your phone as a server.

Wazzup migrator worked for a friend of mine but I think you might just need to keep the old phone hanging around somehow if you still want access to the old messages. Maybe put another SIM in it and change the active number on that Whatsapp account and form a new account on the new phone? If that makes sense?

Soldato
Hell of an overreaction, just request to be added to any groups you were on with the iPhone and make a screenshot of any info you need to keep. Perhaps you just aren't ready for android yet.

Associate
I have just done this for the Mrs phone. Went from an iPhone 7 to a pixel 3a. Used a paid for program called backuptrans that was recommended by a few sites. It's a slow process but it worked. It made a backup using iTunes and then you can transfer to Android from the iTunes backup. Hours of my life lost but it did what was asked. There are multiple versions of the program that all do different tasks i.e. Android to iPhone and iPhone to Android are 2 different programs apparently.

Soldato
People clinging onto digital conversations like it's their whole world and life. Is that what we've come to?

I use text messages and Whatsapp about the same amount - not much really. Why would you care if you lose old conversations? :confused:

Associate
People clinging onto digital conversations like it's their whole world and life. Is that what we've come to?

I use text messages and Whatsapp about the same amount - not much really. Why would you care if you lose old conversations? :confused:

Agreed.

The only time I would like to keep anything on WhatsApp is if it contained some information I needed, but then I'd have siphoned it off somewhere else anyway, and some of the pictures, but I'll just ensure I save those if I ever need to switch.

However, I think we are in the minority judging the way most of my users are at work. I can sort of understand it to a degree but it's not the end of the world. Maybe they just think it makes them feel/look less popular! :D

Soldato
Welcome to the disadvantages of the closed system that is iPhone...

Export Chat
You can email yourself a chat history if you'd like to save a chat:

1. Open the WhatsApp chat you want to email.
  2. Tap the contact's name or group subject.
  3. Tap Export Chat.
  4. Select if you want to Attach Media or email the chat Without Media.
  5. Tap the Mail app. You can also tap More for additional options.
  6. Enter your email address and tap Send.
https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/iphone/20888066/

Soldato
Hell of an overreaction, just request to be added to any groups you were on with the iPhone and make a screenshot of any info you need to keep. Perhaps you just aren't ready for android yet.

Groups carry over without issue when you log back in on a new device. It's just conversation history you lose.

Back
Top Bottom